FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2014 3:00 PM  #1

inlet manifold gaskets

i just fitted intake manifold gaskets on a 289 with edelbrock heads/intake whilst torquing down the intake the rear intake cork seal slipped out slightly but still tight under intake can i remove intake and reuse the intake gaskets engine not been run yet or do i need new gaskets?

8/19/2014 3:30 PM  #2

Re: inlet manifold gaskets

I think technically once they've been compressed they're not supposed to be any good anymore, but once I ran into the situation you're in and re-used a set.  I just put a thin smear of RTV silicone around the water passages and everything sealed fine... maybe I got lucky or maybe it's ok... I'm really not sure.

On a side note, that problem is exactly why many people use a thick bead RTV silicone on the front and back instead of using the cork pieces.  I finally switched to that method and have had good luck...no more squished out cork pieces

Last edited by Michael H. (8/19/2014 3:31 PM)

8/19/2014 4:36 PM  #3

Re: inlet manifold gaskets

RTV for end seals is the only way to go.  Read this article from my web page.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/intake.html

You can reuse the gaskets between the heads and intake.  Just clean them up and install a paper thin layer of RTV on them.  I prefer to use contact cement between the heads and gaskets so they cannot slip.  The RTV lets the intake slide into place and then cures to form a perfect gasket.  For the end seals, the bead will squish out some.  Resist the urge to wipe it off.  When it dries really firm you can trim it off with a sharp single edged razor blade to make a clean line.

ALWAYS throw those cork seals in the trash!!!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.