FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2014 8:21 PM  #1

Brake problem after master cylinder replacement

I have a 1965 Coupe 289 that has sat in a garage for years.  I just got it running and have been checking everything out to get it on the road again.  I am pretty much replacing the entire brake system for safety reasons,,,the only thing I am not replacing is the pedal and steel brake lines.

I replaced the master cylinder and placed the plastic bleed screws in the ports and bench bled it in the car after installing it.  It took about a hundred times pressing the pedal before I finally got some resistance. I pressed a few more times for good measure.  When I got out of the car, my brake lights were on.  I went and pulled the pedal up and got about a 1 1/2 inch movement up on it...brake lights out.  Pressed it again and brake lights stayed on...pedal had to be pulled up again to get brake lights out.  I checked the resevoir and it still had fluid in it and everything looked fine to me.

I don't know what to try at this point...

8/02/2014 8:56 PM  #2

Re: Brake problem after master cylinder replacement

Did you have the brake system pressurized to the wheels?  If not, that will help return the pedal to static position.
Are you installing the stock type single piston master cylinder or conveting it to a tandem one?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/03/2014 8:18 AM  #3

I guess I should have provided a little more info...just don't always think about it since it's clear in my head.

Yes...installing stock type single cylinder with drum all around.  Eventually I want to convert to disc, but just want to get it road worthy now.

I did not pressurize to the wheels yet...I didn't want to do that work if there might be something wrong at the master cylinder...wanted to check first.  I will do that next if you think that can help.  THis is my first time changing a master cylinder.

It might be a week or two as I have little ones and have trouble finding time to work on it...espessially when I need another person to help pump the pedal.  I'll reply when I try that.

Thanks!

8/03/2014 8:33 AM  #4

If you've bench bled the MC, I'd connect to the system and bleed the system.
Note: re: the brake lines, I suggest giving the steel and rubber lines a very close look and consider changing them now rather then later ... steel lines rot, and rubber lines deteriorate over time.  Or, when you have the system bleed and a firm pedal, stand on the pedal with everything you've got to see if you can cause a burst line.  However, I strongly suggest replaced the lines for safety reasons ... remember your little ones.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/03/2014 9:02 PM  #5

Bleeding the brake by yourself is not as difficult as you think. I bought the product in the link below 20+ years ago. Still works like a charm and hangs on my car just like it does in the picture. You can make something similar out of a bottle with some plastic tubing.

On my cars, I place the fitting wrench on the bleeder and open about a 1/8th of a turn, just so the fluid will weep out. Hang the gizmo jar on the bleeder screw filled with enough fluid to cover the end of the tube inside the gizmo jar. Pump the pedal slowly, checking the master cylinder and the gizmo jar. Its trial and error on how many times to pump. Close the bleeder before removing the tube from the bleeder screw. Move to the next wheel.

The fluid inside of the jar keeps air from entering the line on the upstroke of the brake pedal.
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=66
Good Luck

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/20/2014 8:24 PM  #6

Alright...Sorry for the delay...

I took BobE advice and ordered brake line and remade all the steel lines...it is a good thing to do since who knows how old those lines are...maybe since 1965.  I have a few drip leaks I need to address, but it was enough to get the brake lights out.  That was it.

I don't have enough pressure to engage the brakes (due to the leaks), but it was enough to push the pedal back enough to get the brake lights out.

Now to the leaks...does anyone know if there is a brake line tester out there?  All I found on my quick search is something to tests the pressure while everything is on the car, but I want something I can check the lines with before I install them.

Thanks for all the advice.

8/20/2014 9:01 PM  #7

Just a quick question, did you buy a new m/c or a rebuilt one.

8/21/2014 5:38 AM  #8

Rebuilt

8/21/2014 6:36 AM  #9

I had one last year that was slightly out of alignment internally.  When the brakes were depressed, the piston would hang up and cause it to stick.  I removed it, disassembled it and honed it some more.  That cured the problem.

If the one you have is a (new to you) rebuilt master cylinder, you should return it to where you got it and get another one.  This is yet another reason to NEVER buy rebuilt master cylinders.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/21/2014 8:45 AM  #10

I 2nd what ms said, rebuilt masters can literally sit on shelves for years since being rebuilt. Bores rust, seals harden, and it's only as good as the the guy that rebuilt it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.