FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/02/2014 8:35 PM  #1


16" rims and 12-12.5 discs??

I realize 16" rims aren't used that much, maybe no data available. However I have a set of 05 GT calipers that are available for use. I want 12" rotors, at least. SSBC site shows 12.5 rotors for 16" mustang wheels, which would be fine.
Question is; Does anyone have any real world info on 12"+ rotors with 16" rims??
MS told me a way to check them out, butt I'd hav'ta pony up a few bucks. I'd rather not have to re-invent the wheel.

Tubo


If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet
 

10/02/2014 9:42 PM  #2


Re: 16" rims and 12-12.5 discs??

ask BillyC.......

 

10/03/2014 8:31 AM  #3


Re: 16" rims and 12-12.5 discs??

I have 16 inch rims on my 95 Mustang that I race and 12.25 inch rotors. The calipers and rotors are Wilwood. I have about 3/16 inch clearence on the ID of the rim. The stock 16 inch rims do fit with a .25 shim. I run my rain tires on those. My aftermarket race wheels fit with no problem. They are a copy of the Cobra wheels.

 

10/03/2014 11:52 AM  #4


Re: 16" rims and 12-12.5 discs??

I have the Wilwood 12.19" rotors on my 16x7" wheels.  4.25bs.  (1966)  I have about 1/16" clearence with the thin shim that comes with the kit.  I do not think I could fit 12.25's in there.  But the biggest issue is the width of the cliper as the outside corner edge is what rubs, not the top.  Maybe your calipers or wheels are different than mine around the mounting surface.

I suggest you mount one side and test the wheel fit before you blast away with it.  Particularly since you have to wire the rotor mounting bolts.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (10/03/2014 11:55 AM)


Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P
 

10/03/2014 4:51 PM  #5


Re: 16" rims and 12-12.5 discs??

josh-kebob wrote:

ask BillyC.......

 
I have 17"


"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford
 

10/04/2014 7:43 PM  #6


Re: 16" rims and 12-12.5 discs??

It should work but the offset might give your problems. You could use those calipers and 70? lincoln rotors make a bracket and you'd have a perfect set up those rotors have same nom thick as the gt mustang. Doing so would probably even fit 15" rims

Last edited by True74yamaha (10/04/2014 7:44 PM)

 

10/04/2014 9:26 PM  #7


Re: 16" rims and 12-12.5 discs??

True74yamaha wrote:

It should work but the offset might give your problems. You could use those calipers and 70? lincoln rotors make a bracket and you'd have a perfect set up those rotors have same nom thick as the gt mustang. Doing so would probably even fit 15" rims

12" 1970 Linc Mk III rotors?? I thought they were the same 11" diameter as the Granada rotors I already have.
This Ford Muscle article: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/07/12inchBrakeConversion/  talks about 77 Continental & 72 T-Bird 12" rotors, though the Linc bolt pattern doesnt fit nor do the 72 T-Bird bearing size fit.
What am I missisng??

Corky

 


If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet
     •Thread Starter
 

10/04/2014 10:46 PM  #8


Re: 16" rims and 12-12.5 discs??

The 1970 rotors are 11.72 a little bigger than the granada rotors. Plus they have the same nom thick as the newer gts and are close to the same outer diameter so the caliper should fit well. Or you can go a little older lincoln or t bird and run 12" rotors and calipers. Like what they did on mustangs on the track know as trans am brakes they were they biggest rotor and caliper then that they could fit in a 15" rim

 

10/05/2014 10:27 AM  #9


Re: 16" rims and 12-12.5 discs??

You could use the ultra stang rear disc set up not quite as big as you wanted. And then over on west side mustangs there's a guy who sales a set up using 99-04 gt calipers and maurader rotors which fits 16" rims. He doesn't list them I dunno why.  but neighbors is the one who sales them.  Just an idea. http://www.westsidemustangs.com/showthread.php/82353-Disc-brake-conversion-brackets?highlight=Cobra+brakes

Found it. http://www.westsidemustangs.com/showthread.php/74926-Attention-Curtis-and-Chris-Cobra-front-brakes

Last edited by True74yamaha (10/05/2014 10:32 AM)

 

Board footera


REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.