FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2014 10:18 AM  #1

Hey Hornman... and other interested parties....

At the BASH, you described a one man brake bleeding system you put together.  I have the "gist" of it, but would you be able to post a pic of the contraption?  After arriving home, I note I have a leaking KH proportioning valve on the 65 FB.  I'm going to convert to a dual bowl mc, and the 70 Mustang valve so I'm going to have some bleeding ahead of me.

Q #2.  You have previously posted some points on chemistry, so what do you think would work to neutralize the brake fluid that has run down the inner apron and onto the frame rail?  The paint is bubbled.  I want to clean it up and paint it before installing the new mc and prop valve.

Q #3.  Is there a good reason to avoid the synthetic brake fluid?  I kind of like the non-toxic approach, and am now well acquainted with the water absorbing properties of regular brake fluid.

10/06/2014 10:34 AM  #2

Re: Hey Hornman... and other interested parties....

Tim,

I will take some pictures of my pressure bleeding rig and post them.

To remove brake fluid from paint you like, flood it with cold water and rinse all the brake fluid off.  Any damage that occurs before flushing the brake fluid is permanent.

10/06/2014 2:36 PM  #3

Tim,

I posted my writeup for my Brake Pressure Bleeder system on Tips & How To's section.

To answer your earlier question about brake fluid types:  most brake fluids these days are synthetic, so that term is really meaningless.  For our street driven cars Dot 3 is what most of us should use.  There are some folks with very specific requirements that will use something else, but Dot 3 is totally acceptable for street use.  Use your newly created pressure bleeding system to replace the brake fluid every two years and you are golden.

10/06/2014 2:53 PM  #4

Thanks X3!

Yes, it is more of a "rig" than "contraption" .  Please accept my apology for the misnomer....

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.