FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2014 5:34 PM  #1

Kenne Bell question...

If I can sell the 55 F100 project my son and I started before he discovered soccer and girls, I'd like to put a Kenne Bell blower on the 65 fastback.
My question is this: It fits under a stock 89-93 hood, but has anyone ever seen one on a 5.0 in an early model?
Not fitting under the shelby hood is a deal breaker, but I'd sure like to have one....

5/06/2014 7:26 PM  #2

Re: Kenne Bell question...

Like this?
Looks like a perfect fit...to me!!!!!!
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (5/06/2014 7:27 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/06/2014 7:27 PM  #3

I love the old 55 to 56 ford trucks.

Can you provide any info on your truck and maybe how much your asking?  location as well.

5/06/2014 8:58 PM  #4

Heres the CL ad... I'm just outside St. Louis.
Its definitely a project, but a very solid truck.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4413894242.html

5/06/2014 9:09 PM  #5

Evidently, the Kenne Bell 2.2L will fit in an early Mustang with a small-block. (EFI-based).

I didn't read every word of the article in the following link but, it seems to suggest this will fit. You can check it out more for yourself.

http://books.google.com/books?id=dqaNw9WNv3UC&pg=PA116&lpg=PA116&dq=kenne+bell+supercharger+on+vintage+mustang&source=bl&ots=uYD4YkbbR9&sig=hiCbs5s2389c1LotUF7T81lRBvU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=QaJpU_v7IIyuyAT-sIGIAg&ved=0CCUQ6AEwADgU

5/07/2014 5:34 AM  #6

Thanks for the link, Ultra.
Not definitive, but looks promising.

5/07/2014 9:48 AM  #7

That is a good article, but in the before and after...there is not a strut tower brace or monte carlo bar to be seen. I don't know if I could get rid of those as they make such a huge difference on handling.

I do like the blower. Immediately I saw that the inlet casting could be removed and replaced with one(that you would have to make) that would keep the throtle body and air meter behind the strut tower on the passenger side. That would eliminate having to move the battery and keep things looking clean.

I had quite frankly forgotten about the kenne belle blowers on the fox mustangs. This may be the piece that convinces me to go ahead a put FI on my 66.

BobN

5/07/2014 3:07 PM  #8

I see in the article they "had a 30 lb. chip burned for the 30 lb. injectors."
I wonder how hard that would be to get done, or even dyno tuned now that the EECIV is such "old Technology"?

5/07/2014 3:42 PM  #9

darren wrote:

I wonder how hard that would be to get done, or even dyno tuned now that the EECIV is such "old Technology"?

It'd be easy, plenty of tuners can do it. Heck I still have my SCT software, chip burner, and a 4 position chip laying around

5/07/2014 7:51 PM  #10

Raymond_B wrote:

darren wrote:

It'd be easy, plenty of tuners can do it. Heck I still have my SCT software, chip burner, and a 4 position chip laying around

Raymond!! Youhave the capability to burn "hot chips" for cars and trucks?!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/07/2014 7:53 PM  #11

6sally6 wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

darren wrote:

Raymond!! Youhave the capability to burn "hot chips" for cars and trucks?!
6sal6

I do I used to be an active SCT Dealer, nowadays not so much. But I still have all the equipment and software.

5/07/2014 8:55 PM  #12

So now I just have to sell the F100..

10/07/2014 6:55 AM  #13

Sold the f100, but now I'm leaning towards a T- trim Vortech.....
Heat is the enemy, and apparently a front mount intercooler or water-air aftercooler is a good idea, but I think fitment could be a challenge with either.
A lot of folks are dogging on the KB blower for the 5.0 because of no way to cool the air.

As an aside, the Fastback goes to paint the 18th.
Supposed to have it back by Christmas....hopefully I won't be another paint shop horror story....

10/09/2014 6:53 PM  #14

I have a lot of experience with the Kenne Bell Superchargers since the early 90s when they came out. When they changed the design from the original 1.5L model to the 2.2L all for the purpose of keeping up with Paxton and Vortech Superchargers more available models, the new charger was capable of giving more airflow potential than the smaller unit. The problem with that is of course the increase in heat produced by the new charger even when idling. The bypass was the immediate fix for that issue but as soon as the boost was increased the heat generated increased as well. 

By the time the new 96 Mustang 4.6L came out, Jim Bell was already turning his back on the old pushrod 5.0L. The mod motors were the rage and the path he was going to follow to allow huge expansion of his supercharger line., 

Anyway, the 2.1L unit is fine if you keep the boost below 8psi but preferable to run 6psi. The temps really go up a lot just from a few lbs. Then a water injection system would be a nice addition but obviously more cost in the end. There are few guys out there who have retrofitted an Air to Air intercooler with awesome results but takes a few fab skils to make it happen. 

10/10/2014 6:29 AM  #15

That is very interesting information, which has served to confuse me more, ICBM...
Maybe not confuse, just make the choice more difficult...

I like the idea of boost where it is useable on the street.

Care to share any more intercooler info, or some links to info?
I've got some pretty mad fab skills....

Last edited by darren (10/10/2014 6:29 AM)

10/10/2014 9:16 PM  #16

Why not "quiz" Glen Busak on his blower install?! Of all the problems he has when making MSBB trips.....the blower has never been one of them!
6sal6

10/10/2014 9:19 PM  #17

10/10/2014 9:37 PM  #18

Glen and I chatted about his setup at the bash. That discussion is what had me leaning towards a T-trim.
However, the boost at low RPMs that a K-B provides is enticing....

Thanks for the link ICBM, I'll check it out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.