FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2014 7:41 PM  #1

My 16 year old son got his License

Yesterday and were looking for a vehical in the $5K range.

He has his eyes on these.  

We do have quite a bit of snow and cold weather I want to add also.  Whats your thoughts?  Thanks Steve69
http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/4713190346.html

[url]http://madison.craigslist.org/ctd/4703550885.html [/url]

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ctd/4720441058.html

Last edited by Steve69 (10/21/2014 7:57 PM)

10/21/2014 8:31 PM  #2

Re: My 16 year old son got his License

That mustang makes me sad

It's hard to type "funny"

10/21/2014 8:31 PM  #3

Here's my .02 cents

Be leary of any vehicle with a salvage title.  You may have a hard time getting insurance for it. Esurance and Geico will tell you that they will not insure a salvage title vehicle when you input the vin number on thier website.  So look for a clean title.

beware of scam ads on craigslist. They put a price that is really low to get you to inquire about it, then they sell your email address or your phone number and you will get a bunch of non wanted texts to your phone or unwanted email solicitations.

Just about every ford explorer / expedition / excursion that I have ever encountered has transmission issues.  I haven't found one where it doesn't need a transmission for one reason or another.

I understand where you live 4x4 are probably more common for the weather, but keep in mind gas prices and gas mileage on those vehicles. Explorers aren't great on gas. I spend 50 a week in gas for my Hyundai Elantra 4 cylinder, imagine a 8 cylinder 4x4. .   Might want to consider a subaru that has all wheel drive and "decent" on gas or a Rav 4 or Jeep Patriot 4 cylinder.  

All my kids have thier own insurance policies. They are not covered under my insurance at all.  If something happens, at least I won't lose my insurance if they have one too many accidents or tickets. It will only affect them., and vice versa.  They may have to pay more money having thier own policy, but it  will be a good lesson for them, on watching thier money go each month just to drive a car. 

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

10/22/2014 8:02 AM  #4

Having 2 teenage boys my heart goes out to you. Get him mustang and please paint it.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

10/22/2014 8:53 AM  #5

bulletbirdman wrote:

Having 2 teenage boys my heart goes out to you. Get him mustang and please paint it.

Yes that paint job would be a cop magnet...LOL

Steve69

10/22/2014 8:54 AM  #6

MarkinSC wrote:

Here's my .02 cents

Be leary of any vehicle with a salvage title.  You may have a hard time getting insurance for it. Esurance and Geico will tell you that they will not insure a salvage title vehicle when you input the vin number on thier website.  So look for a clean title.

beware of scam ads on craigslist. They put a price that is really low to get you to inquire about it, then they sell your email address or your phone number and you will get a bunch of non wanted texts to your phone or unwanted email solicitations.

Just about every ford explorer / expedition / excursion that I have ever encountered has transmission issues.  I haven't found one where it doesn't need a transmission for one reason or another.

I understand where you live 4x4 are probably more common for the weather, but keep in mind gas prices and gas mileage on those vehicles. Explorers aren't great on gas. I spend 50 a week in gas for my Hyundai Elantra 4 cylinder, imagine a 8 cylinder 4x4. .   Might want to consider a subaru that has all wheel drive and "decent" on gas or a Rav 4 or Jeep Patriot 4 cylinder.  

All my kids have thier own insurance policies. They are not covered under my insurance at all.  If something happens, at least I won't lose my insurance if they have one too many accidents or tickets. It will only affect them., and vice versa.  They may have to pay more money having thier own policy, but it  will be a good lesson for them, on watching thier money go each month just to drive a car. 

Thanks for all the Great Info.  Didn't know the explorers had a bad transmission.  Thanks Steve69

10/22/2014 9:21 AM  #7

Like Mark, I would ask who's buying the gas?  We picked up a 99 Explorer from a family member when my older son got his license.  Had about 100,000 on it.  It was a 4.0, and was THE most surefooted vehicle in the snow I ever had.  We put another 100,000 on it and gave it to a friend at church, when we were done with it.  It now has almost 300,000 on it.  The A/C is not working, and she is having trans trouble with it. My only complaints on the Explorer were gas mileage, and I never liked the way it shifted. 

My thoughts, look for an Explorer or Ranger in the 1999 range for half the price, and if it needs a trans at some point, you are still under your $5000 budget.  That Mustang needs a 5000 paint job, lol....

Last edited by TimC (10/22/2014 9:23 AM)

10/22/2014 10:27 AM  #8

First, congrats on him getting his license. I got mine the day I turned 16. Been a hot rodder ever since. My two boys 22 and 27. Had no real interest in there license fore a couple of years after they turned 16. Still do not know why.
Back to the three choices. Not a big fan of that mustang body stile, but as the birdman said you got to paint that's sucker!!!!!
The Explorer could be a good choice but watch out for that trans.
Looks wise have always liked the Durango. I know several people that have them and the only complaint I hear is they suck fuel and it doesn't seem to matter what engine it is either.
Good Luck!

66 coupe, Now a 11 year garage ornament.

10/22/2014 10:53 AM  #9

Steve,
Of the three, the Explorer would be my pick.
You live in snow country and I wouldn't want my 16 year old in a mustang during the winter.  And for what it's worth, I grew up in northen michigan so I know first hand what winter driving is like.
As for the trans, inquire about the service that's been performed.
Also, great explorer forums out there from which you can reserach/ask questions before making a purchase.

The dodge is a non-player IMHO........

10/22/2014 6:16 PM  #10

I'd go w/the Explorer, check the trans out.  The trans went on my 2000 went with 145K miles on it.  It was a V6, highway mileage was in the low 20's, city was 16-18 mpg.
Note, I had a full size Bronco when my kids began to drive, and never worried too much with them driving it as it was like a tank.  The Explorer would give me peace of mind.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

10/22/2014 7:22 PM  #11

Thanks for all the info and sharing your vehical experiences.

Steve69

10/22/2014 9:00 PM  #12

My thougts, per your request.

The Durango is a Dodge...I guess some peope like them. 

The mustang...I won't even capitalize the name it's so hosed up.  IMO, anyone who would paint a car like that would likely be too ignorant...or maybe just plain stupid, to give a car the kind of care that would support any claim of a "well cared for" vehicle.  And it can't be driven easily in the snow.

The Exploder is a Ford.  They have made a zillion  of them I personally haven't heard of trans trouble but then I'm not looking for an Explorer.  Drive it, have it checked.  As someone else said, you can buy an earlier one for half the $$$ and do a trans if necessary but if this one has low miles and is clean and straight, well clean and straigt can be worth a lot.  And it's sure-footed.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/22/2014 9:16 PM  #13

My son had a 94 Exploder and my daughter had a 2000 Exploder - they drove the wheels off both of them and never had a transmission problem. Both had the 4.0L V6 - I had to do a valve job on the 94 and replaced the lower plastic intake manifold seals on the 2000 - but that was about it as far as anything major.
My son eventually put huge tire, a big lift kit and a beefed up front axle on the 94 and did a lot of off road driving with it - all with that same transmission.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.