FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2014 10:28 PM  #1

removing front sp[indles

i read in the  maintance manual  by chilton that say  you need to use a brace to remove the control arms  from the  spindles  is this a must do and what will happen if  you don't  thanks jim

10/22/2014 5:27 AM  #2

Re: removing front sp[indles

Hey Jim,  what year are we talking about?  Upper control arms or lower control arms or both?

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

10/22/2014 7:22 AM  #3

Ford manuals show use of a brace that goes between the frame rail and the upper control arm to hold the arm up when the shock has been removed.  A wood 2x4 will achieve the same thing, but that brace is not necessary on 65-73 IF you still have the shock absorber bolted up.  The shock will hold the upper control arm up.  Removal of the spindle (upper ball joint) from the upper control arm will not affect anything to do with the spring or upper control arm.  You can even do it without the shock holding the UCA up, but it is a little more difficult due to the angle of the ball joint at that point.

I have never had the need to use the brace, ever.

I am guessing that you have a 65-73 Mustang.  If not, disregard this answer.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/22/2014 10:41 AM  #4

And don't forget to use Mustang Steve's handy dandy bolt and turnbuckle, ball joint/spindle separator. 

Volvo!

10/22/2014 11:44 AM  #5

Jimmy sent me a PM on this.  Its a 65 mustang.  He's swapping out 6 cylinder spindles for 8 cylinder spindles. He is putting in a v8 in the future. Ok experts, go ahead and give him his answer. 

My .02 cents:  if you have 6 cylinder spindles,  you probably have 6 cylinder springs. They would need to be replaced anyway, so I would remove shocks, then springs, then spindles, and then while your at it...........

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

10/22/2014 5:59 PM  #6

zimmy2nn - I have 65-66 V8 front end parts (manual steering) from my conversion to an R&C front end.
Send me a PM if you need anything.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

10/22/2014 9:53 PM  #7

It is alot more important to install V8 steering linkage with V8 spindles than it is to change out the springs.  Six cylinder springs are not that much different than the 289 springs to begin with.  I know of several cars that ran 6 cylinder springs with a 289 or 302 and had no issues.

If you run six cylinder steering linkage with V8 spindles, the bumpsteer is downright scary.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.