FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2014 9:48 PM  #1

C4 to 4R70W swap update

Well, they say that good things take time and Rome wasn't built in a day, and haste makes waste..... and I am holding true to those statements.

I got the '98 shifter modified and installed and got the installation of the 2000 shift cable done. Got the headers fully installed and torqued - 30 ft lbs on those I could reach and "MustangSteve's tighten to almost breaking" torque on the others. Got the shortened '98 Explorer 2wd aluminum drive shaft back and will install it soon.

I pulled the seats and carpet to begin the installation of the wiring harness for the Quick 1 controller and the TPS on the carburetor. Damn - there sure are  a bunch of wires to splice in..... gotta punch a hole  for the wire bundle to pass through the firewall and need to figure out where I'm gonna mount the sucker.

You know, fifteen years ago when I completed the restoration (mostly) it was a whole lot easier to fit under that panel, and I didn't have glasses then either. And it didn't hurt so much when I climbed out of there too. Sucks getting old......
I found that the speedometer cable housing had been riding a bit on the exhaust pipe and the cover got melted a little. It wasn't ever a problem, and I'm too lazy to change it, so I sealed it up with a little black RTV. I think that the new exhaust pipe/crossover when it gets installed should clear both the speedo cable and the shifter cable. It will be a custom install and the guy is a master at doing exhaust systems so hopefully it will be okay. It only has to be about 30 inches or so back to where it will tie in where I had to cut the old pipes upstream of the mufflers. I'll have him tie it in there with something I can unbolt in case (heaven forbid!) I have to pull the transmission again.....

I'll be away from it for a couple of weeks though - slipped in some engine oil and went down at work yesterday and tweaked my wrist - so doctor says light duty for a while.
I will continue to perservere.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

10/23/2014 6:22 AM  #2

Re: C4 to 4R70W swap update

Ron68 wrote:

Well, they say that good things take time and Rome wasn't built in a day, and haste makes waste..... and I am holding true to those statements.

I got the '98 shifter modified and installed and got the installation of the 2000 shift cable done. Got the headers fully installed and torqued - 30 ft lbs on those I could reach and "MustangSteve's tighten to almost breaking" torque on the others. Got the shortened '98 Explorer 2wd aluminum drive shaft back and will install it soon.

I pulled the seats and carpet to begin the installation of the wiring harness for the Quick 1 controller and the TPS on the carburetor. Damn - there sure are  a bunch of wires to splice in..... gotta punch a hole  for the wire bundle to pass through the firewall and need to figure out where I'm gonna mount the sucker.

You know, fifteen years ago when I completed the restoration (mostly) it was a whole lot easier to fit under that panel, and I didn't have glasses then either. And it didn't hurt so much when I climbed out of there too. Sucks getting old......
I found that the speedometer cable housing had been riding a bit on the exhaust pipe and the cover got melted a little. It wasn't ever a problem, and I'm too lazy to change it, so I sealed it up with a little black RTV. I think that the new exhaust pipe/crossover when it gets installed should clear both the speedo cable and the shifter cable. It will be a custom install and the guy is a master at doing exhaust systems so hopefully it will be okay. It only has to be about 30 inches or so back to where it will tie in where I had to cut the old pipes upstream of the mufflers. I'll have him tie it in there with something I can unbolt in case (heaven forbid!) I have to pull the transmission again.....

I'll be away from it for a couple of weeks though - slipped in some engine oil and went down at work yesterday and tweaked my wrist - so doctor says light duty for a while.
I will continue to perservere.

Getting old is NOT for sissys!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/23/2014 8:01 AM  #3

Re: C4 to 4R70W swap update

I got my last pair of prescription safety glasses with the bi-focal on the top and bottom of the lense.....Major improvement for times under anything. I also keep several pair of those cheapy reading glasses of various magnifications around for welding and such. Seems like I invest in more lights every year too.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.