FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2013 11:43 AM  #1

Cable clutch, T5 and header love

Howdy,
     I finally finished up installing the majority of the Steve's cable clutch kit on my '65 last night.  Everything was going swimmingly until I snaked the cable around the shock tower and down towards the T5.  I crawled under there and my first two header tubes (Hooker long tubes) were smack in front of the forward cable mount on the tranny.  Gah.  I couldn't mount the cable without severe interference and probably binding issues.

Steve was kind enough to recommend another header style that he's had success with so I went ahead and ordered a set today.  Now I have to decide if I want to scrounge up some 2.5" tubing to rig up an exhaust, track down a friend with a trailer, or chance it and drive 15 minutes up to the muffler shop with open headers.

I was about 5 minutes from getting to test out the new clutch, T5 and explorer 8.8" 4.10 posi rear end we just put in a few months ago.  Pretty sure my neighbors heard my disappointment and colorful language.

Last edited by JVince (10/23/2013 11:44 AM)

10/23/2013 3:21 PM  #2

Re: Cable clutch, T5 and header love

I vote for driving it (with open headers) to the muffler shop. HUH?!

Love your "wrinkle-finish paint" around the MC!......Looks ALOT like mine!

Wonder how hard it would be to fab/cut-out a piece of stsinless to fit into that little indented area behind the MC?!
Don't know if that would dress it up or just look tacky?!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/23/2013 3:56 PM  #3

Haha!  Yea, sanding in there was a nightmare.  I thought about using some extra rubber door sealant to dress up that area and make it look like a gromet or something.  It never showed until I painted a few years ago!

I found a muffler shop that'll do the job for me and it's about 5 miles away.  I've ran the car with open long tube headers but the shorties have me nervous

10/23/2013 4:40 PM  #4

6sally6 wrote:

I vote for driving it (with open headers) to the muffler shop. HUH?!

Love your "wrinkle-finish paint" around the MC!......Looks ALOT like mine!

Wonder how hard it would be to fab/cut-out a piece of stsinless to fit into that little indented area behind the MC?!
Don't know if that would dress it up or just look tacky?!!
6s6

Nah, it's just screaming for Steve's power brake conversion instead to hide it 

FWIW, I drove my car with open shorties about 10 minutes to the muffler shop and got plenty of stares. If a policeman pulls you over while you're driving just feign surprise as if the missing part was stolen.  

[edit] your windshield washer reservoir has gone 'limp' 

Last edited by Jeff in GA (10/23/2013 6:51 PM)

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

10/23/2013 7:04 PM  #5

That wrinkle finish around the MC area just needs a booster to cover it up.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/23/2013 7:35 PM  #6

My car has no mufflers, both pipes exit just in fromt of the right rear wheel. It is only loud when I make it that way, meaning when I start it and thereafter. Haven't been stopped yet! I am working on a dual mode muffler for it though, so my wife will ride in it (to a bash I hope). You are gonna want the power brakes though. It does hide stuff on my car too. I feel your pain with the header tubes and the cable clutch, I had to cut and reroute two tubes on mine. Unless you just gotta have the high end power of the long tubes, as set of good shorties is a nice way to go. I run my car on the track some and love the high rpm stuff, so I am addicted. My motor is based on the Boss block with internal balanced lightweight forged parts and likes the revs. I want to build one for the street with a cam that is super in the 3000 to 5000 range and shorties and mostly stock parts but for a light weight flywheel/clutch and go have a ball.

10/24/2013 5:41 AM  #7

A brake booser is probably in my future.  I really don't know what to expect with adding the rear discs. 

My only concern with driving with the open shorties is the heat.  I think they might blast some of the painted areas with direct exhaust.  I also have some POR15 and rubberized undercoating where the front floorboards start.  I'll see when I get them installed tomorrow.

10/21/2014 10:20 AM  #8

JVince wrote:

Howdy,
     I finally finished up installing the majority of the Steve's cable clutch kit on my '65 last night.  Everything was going swimmingly until I snaked the cable around the shock tower and down towards the T5.  I crawled under there and my first two header tubes (Hooker long tubes) were smack in front of the forward cable mount on the tranny.  Gah.  I couldn't mount the cable without severe interference and probably binding issues.

Steve was kind enough to recommend another header style that he's had success with so I went ahead and ordered a set today.  Now I have to decide if I want to scrounge up some 2.5" tubing to rig up an exhaust, track down a friend with a trailer, or chance it and drive 15 minutes up to the muffler shop with open headers.

I was about 5 minutes from getting to test out the new clutch, T5 and explorer 8.8" 4.10 posi rear end we just put in a few months ago.  Pretty sure my neighbors heard my disappointment and colorful language.

Sorry to revive such an old post, but I found it while doing a search and was wondering exactly what headers you went with that cleared the cable clutch?
I'm trying to help my father-in-law pick a set of headers for his 302 equipped '66 coupe that will also eventually get a MS cable clutch.

thanks,
Michael

10/21/2014 12:39 PM  #9

Use a shorty header and never look back.  I have 1-5/8" tube shorties on my 427 and it revs to 7,000 RPM with no problem.  Surely they are sufficient for a 302 or 351.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/21/2014 12:54 PM  #10

Will all shorty headers clear the clutch cable or are there certain ones to steer clear of?

Do you think these would work?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-88408/applications/year/1966/make/ford/model/mustang

Last edited by Michael H. (10/21/2014 3:37 PM)

10/22/2014 12:25 PM  #11

Ok.  I know tons of people on this forum are running a 289/302 in a 65/66 with a t5/cable clutch... nobody can tell me what headers they used?

10/22/2014 3:04 PM  #12

On my 66 with a 351w, I run Headman long tubes, everythig works, butt a little close in some areas and they take an exrta hand or two to install as the motor goes in.

On my 68 with a 302 (5.0), I run JBA shorties and they are grate, and they can go in and out with the motor in place and clear everything.

I am now trying to figure out what exhaust I will run on the 63 Falcon, as it is even tighter than the 65-66 Mustang.

I have a good friend with a 66 and 302 (5.0), T-5, and he is running Hi-Po manifolds. I truly believe unless you are making 400 plus horsepower that is the way to go. They are clean, easy to get to all the plugs, they dont rust, or loosen up, they clear everything, quieter under the hood, and look right as well.

10/22/2014 5:56 PM  #13

Michael H. wrote:

Ok.  I know tons of people on this forum are running a 289/302 in a 65/66 with a t5/cable clutch... nobody can tell me what headers they used?

I am running hedman long tubes. I had to relocate one of the tubes and fab a heat shield similar to a motorcycle exhaust. They work great but if I had it to do over I would have gone with shorties.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

10/23/2014 10:51 AM  #14

I'm running a set of cast iron, HiPo that have been ceramic coated.  There's some comfort in the fact that they are likely to never leak or require attention.  The heads were machined, the manifolds were flat, so we used a little hi-temp sealer and no gasket.  No regrets.

Lance

10/23/2014 3:47 PM  #15

Nice booster pic, MS.
I recognize that firewall/booster.
I'm assuming nothing ever came from those pics....

10/23/2014 4:08 PM  #16

I am running the Headman elite shorty

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.