FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2014 7:51 PM  #1

How to fix hogged out heater hose fitting hole in manifold?

I've got an old 4-bbl aluminum intake manifold that has a hogged out hole where the heater hose fitting screws in.  The threads are not stripped, but it looks like it's had the fitting screwed in so many times, the fitting is very loose.  I've wrapped it with teflon tape but it's still loose.  Any suggestions on how to fix it?  It looks to be 3/8" NPT.  I would get rid of it but I've already port matched it to the cylinder heads and it's installed on the engine, but no collant yet.  Thanks.

Last edited by jkordzi (10/21/2014 8:21 PM)

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

10/21/2014 9:54 PM  #2

Re: How to fix hogged out heater hose fitting hole in manifold?

The proper way to repair that is to drill out the old threads and tap it to the next larger size (1/2?). Use a brass threaded bushing to reduce it back to stock size. Of course you cannot do this mounted on the engine.

You could clean the thread really well, then smear them with JB Weld and the screw the water neck in to reform the threads. The water neck threads should be really clean and coated with mold release. Probably shouldn't try this on the engine either.

10/21/2014 11:05 PM  #3

Having been in this situaltion, I agree with Hornman. I was able to find a junkyard engine with a 1/2" npt fitting that screwed right in and looked like it was supposed to be there. If not, you can always use a reducer fitting like he mentioned.
BobN

10/22/2014 7:09 AM  #4

My oldest RPM Performer mainfold that is port matched had the same problem. The threads were there but loose. I found a fitting that had some extra long male threads. Since those threads are tapered, I cut off a couple which put me farther up the taper where the threads were bigger. I used the paste pipe dope and it threaded in real nice and tightened up well. That was two years ago and never a leak. Might be worth a try for you.

10/22/2014 6:05 PM  #5

I agree w/Hornman and BobN, go to the 1/2" NPT.  90 degree fittings an available from NAPA.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

10/22/2014 7:22 PM  #6

Tonite I got a 1/2"-14 NPT bushing that the 3/8"-18 NPT heater hose fitting will screw into.  Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a 1/2"-14 NPT pipe tap.  That tap is supposed to require a 45/64 drill bit, but I have a Silver and Demming set that includes a 11/16" drill, which is only 1/64" smaller.  So I'll post the results.  Thanks.

10/23/2014 2:46 PM  #7

Just remember not to run the tap all the way in the hole, or you will have the same problem with a bigger hole. Not saying you will, just that I have seen it happen before.

10/25/2014 8:44 AM  #8

jkordzi wrote:

Tonite I got a 1/2"-14 NPT bushing that the 3/8"-18 NPT heater hose fitting will screw into.  Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a 1/2"-14 NPT pipe tap.  That tap is supposed to require a 45/64 drill bit, but I have a Silver and Demming set that includes a 11/16" drill, which is only 1/64" smaller.  So I'll post the results.  Thanks.

Picked up a NPT pipe tap set at HF that included the 1/2"-14 tap.  My engine wasn't installed but I think I don't think it would have mattered.  I kept the intake manifold on the engine and removed the water inlet and thermostat and jammed some paper towles into the front water passage in the head so cuttings wouldn't go into it.  I then used the 11/16" drill bit in a 1/2" drill and followed up with the tap.  I used cutting oil and initially tapped down until all the threads were cut, then went one turn at a time until the 1/2" bushing engaged all the threads, but no more.  Vacuumed it out thru the water inlet opening.  Worked great.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.