FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2014 12:28 PM  #1

Is this the right amount of setback for a T5?

Among other things, I'm converting from a toploader to a T5.  So this morning I dropped the engine and T5 back into my 65 FB.  Is this about how the T5 shifter is supposed to line up with the stock floor opening?  If I jack it up until it contacts the floor, the first thing that hits is the front of the shifter (afermarket).  Is this usual?

Also, I'm going to fabricate a new crossmember (I know, but I just like doing my own thing) and was wondering how close to the floor the T5 should be.  I've seen some posts that suggest I should get it as high as possible, because it results in a better driveline angle.  Anyone have an opinion?  Thanks.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

10/25/2014 12:41 PM  #2

Re: Is this the right amount of setback for a T5?

I removed some material from the front of the shifter hole when I put the T5 in my 66 coupe.  I used the Ron Morris mount, and this is what it looks like.

10/25/2014 1:53 PM  #3

Thanks.  I ust found out the toploader that was in it was one of the early 25 spline versions, so I'm going to have to find a new yoke.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

10/25/2014 5:01 PM  #4

jkordzi wrote:

Also, I'm going to fabricate a new crossmember (I know, but I just like doing my own thing) and was wondering how close to the floor the T5 should be. 

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I did the same thing.......made my old mount work. That's how "real" hot-rod guyz do it!
Yes...jack it up until it touches(still gonna get some viberation..but that's just part of the swap) and then just barely let it down to prevent sound short. I also put rubber cushions from old shocks under mine to MAYBE help with vibs.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.