FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2014 10:25 PM  #1

best bang for the buck tire changer ?

want to buy one but there is too many out there, does anyone have the mayflower changer/balancer combo 950-650 ?  priced desent @ 2300. for the pair  found a few on CL but not sure....thanks

10/26/2014 9:42 AM  #2

Re: best bang for the buck tire changer ?

How many tires do you plan on changing in a year?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/26/2014 7:43 PM  #3

Re: best bang for the buck tire changer ?

I have the 39 dollar manual changer from Harbor Freight. I also have the 80 dollar bubble balancer from some where. I change and balance 40 to 50 tires a year mostly at the track since I regularly turn tires on the rim to get another session out of them. I have a couple of holes in the floor of my trailer that take a couple of  bolts to locate the changer it works great. Remember, changing a tire is a finesse thing not brute force. It is actually pretty easy. I run these tires up to 150 MPH with no issues. I have found that if a tire takes a lot of weight, it is not for me. Typically the ones that need more than an ounce have some issues I do not need at 150 MPH. I have lost several over the years that took a lot of weight but now just send them directly to the scrap heap since it is cheaper than a ripped up fender or worse. If I were doing hundreds of tires a year, I would probably buy the two thousand dollar variety but would still take my manual unit to the track. If I were doing it as a business I would have the spin balancer too since it sells better. Most modern tires are so good new, they take little weight. I have found that if one takes a lot of weight that a bead break and reseat sometimes fixes sloppy work or lack of lube on the bead to help it seat even. Also a few trips around the block and a rebalance can some times make things better too.  Good luck!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.