FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2014 3:57 PM  #26

Re: 65 mustang 6 cyl 200 c i engine eshaust and intake manifolds after m

I'm with MS on this.  Build what ya wanna build.  Even in stock form, that 6 cylinder 'Stang will get you to traffic court in a heartbeat.  They can be made to run better, but will never have the power of a big V-8.  But, you will have the pride of knowing it inside and out, and if it's your first attempt at "Wrenching", there is not a better  place to start.  As MS said, you can get to everything.
If you want to "hop" it up, Ak Miller (AKA Mr. Six Cylinder) did that in the late 60's.  June, 1967 Hot Rod Magazine ran a story called "Horsing Around with the Mustang Six".  Google it and see what you think.  If you can't find it, PM me your address and I'll mail ya a copy.
Enjoy

10/30/2014 8:49 PM  #27

Zim. If ya got to have a 6 ditch the 200 and get a datsun 280z loads of power and dependable 5 speed and hydraulic clutch comes with them, Ive been doing some measuing since my son totaled his 280 , Sounds like [b]Sacrilege but just think about it.[/b]

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

10/31/2014 8:40 AM  #28

bulletbirdman wrote:

Zim. If ya got to have a 6 ditch the 200 and get a datsun 280z loads of power and dependable 5 speed and hydraulic clutch comes with them, Ive been doing some measuing since my son totaled his 280 , Sounds like [b]Sacrilege but just think about it.[/b]

They are fun, but even a 280z six cylinder is not as much fun as a 302.  There's a guy I work with that changed out the engine and transmission in his 1976 280z for a 302 and a T5... made the car MUCH faster (not that it was slow before).

10/31/2014 9:46 AM  #29

Just enjoy the car as is! A 6 cyl is still fun to drive. Convert the ign system to Dura Spark. Will be very dependable
Howard

11/01/2014 9:03 PM  #30

Michael H. wrote:

bulletbirdman wrote:

They are fun, but even a 280z six cylinder is not as much fun as a 302.  There's a guy I work with that changed out the engine and transmission in his 1976 280z for a 302 and a T5... made the car MUCH faster (not that it was slow before).

Yeah but its different.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

11/01/2014 9:34 PM  #31

On a side note, the original Holman-Moody Falcon (62, I think?) is for sale right now on ebay.  Three carbs and a 200 I6.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/03/2014 10:43 AM  #32

bulletbirdman wrote:

Michael H. wrote:

bulletbirdman wrote:

Yeah but its different.

True... and it's no question that the 280z engine would beat the pants off a stock 200 I6.

11/03/2014 2:40 PM  #33

MustangSteve wrote:

I have nothing against the six but one thing.  It can never sound like a V8.  No matter what is done to it, it still only has the firing frequency of 6 hits per revolution.  They sound "weird" to me.  Some people probably prefer the sound of the six...  I just don't like the sound. 

I think we had this discussion a few years back. Each cylinder in a four stroke engine fires every other revolution, so a 6 cylinder fires 3 times per revolution, and a 8 cylinder fires 4 times.
I agree with you on the sound not being equal to a v-8.

11/03/2014 2:46 PM  #34

In high school, my 70 Maverick with a 200, 3 speed manual,converted to floor shift and 3.25 gears was a fun beater that would smoke my friends slant 6 Dart with an auto, but not much else.

11/03/2014 2:48 PM  #35

darren wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

I have nothing against the six but one thing.  It can never sound like a V8.  No matter what is done to it, it still only has the firing frequency of 6 hits per revolution.  They sound "weird" to me.  Some people probably prefer the sound of the six...  I just don't like the sound. 

I think we had this discussion a few years back. Each cylinder in a four stroke engine fires every other revolution, so a 6 cylinder fires 3 times per revolution, and a 8 cylinder fires 4 times.
I agree with you on the sound not being equal to a v-8.

I agree too.  My daily driver is a '91 F150 with a 300 I6.  It is a great engine, but it sounds ridiculous with loud exhaust, so I'm running the quietest magnaflow muffler I could get... just a little louder than stock and it actually sounds pretty good.... but it just doesn't sound like that sweet rumble of a v8.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.