FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2014 12:58 AM  #26

Re: The Phoenix Project

R5CYA wrote:

WOW! you really put the metal working equipment to good use, don't you? and the rear end is too nice to even put under a car!
is this going to be a show car only? or will you be driving it?

Thanks! I have no other plans than drive and enjoy it, but I am planning on buying a lift or something similar though to be able to take care of it when it's done.

11/23/2014 5:52 AM  #27

Talk about slow progress, haven't updated this thread in 6 months, but yesterday I finally had a couple of hours I could spend out in my garage. Sorry about the dust in some of the pics: 

11/24/2014 11:49 AM  #28

I have been waiting patiently for some more artwork from the Phoenix Project. That is some fantastic workmanship you have going on there and it will almost be a shame to keep all of your hidden details out of sight. Thanks for the update and press on!

There is no "I" in team but there are 5 in individual brilliance.

11/25/2014 11:40 AM  #29

I love this project! Excellent work Hakan. I'm envious I have a question on the Watts Link, if I may. What are the dimensions of the "propeller" (center link point)? I thought it would need to be longer, between the heims, for the long link arms, or do I have that backwards?

11/25/2014 12:47 PM  #30

Thanks both!

Unfortunately I am at "my" hotel in Herning, Denmark 500 miles away from my garage right now, so dimensions are a little hard to get. When I designed and fabricated the watts link I checked on how it behaves during suspension travel and it looked ok to me. Some of the inspiration for my rear suspension design comes from this http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/press/rearcoilover.html

As can be seen the TCP rear coilover suspension also has a rather short "propeller" and it's actually even better than mine as from what I know it should be placed as low as possible, the same BTW and AFAIK applies to a panhard bar.

12/29/2014 1:14 PM  #31

One step forward and two steps back... Had some issues with the paint on the rear end housing and actually decided to take it off from the car again and repaint it together with some of the brackets. I am well aware of that this is more or less pointless perfectionism:

'

1/05/2015 11:20 AM  #32

Not much left now before I can put the wheels back on and take the car down from the rotisserie.

1/08/2015 3:18 PM  #33

Holy moly! That's like looking up Yazmine bleeth's skirt!    Says the immortal Ricky Bobby.  Nice job.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

1/25/2015 1:49 PM  #34

Probably some kind of record. I've had the car in the rotisserie for exactly 9 years and 4 month. Here's a picture from September 25th 2006 when I first put it in:

But today it was finally time to take it down again. Here's the last pictures before:

On its way down:

And finally back on the floor. I know the rear looks very high in this picture, but the rear coilovers are still at their highest setting and YES! I am aware of that I've got the front wheels on wrong:

Gonna cut some 2x4 to use as front "springs" later:

1/25/2015 7:19 PM  #35

Are you going to keep it single exhaust?   Doesn't look like there is a lot  of room in there.  I haven't got to the exhaust stage quite yet...won't be long though.

1/26/2015 3:18 AM  #36

Brents65 wrote:

Are you going to keep it single exhaust?

Yes and this is why. Gonna try to run a single turbocharger:

1/26/2015 6:51 AM  #37

That's pretty sweet.  I want to build a turbo car myself....I have to finish my supercharged car first though!   I will be watching to see how yours goes.

1/31/2015 12:44 PM  #38

I definitely have to do something about the rear ride height. Measured the coil springs and they have a spring rate of more than 400(!) which of course is way too high for the rear. Not sure what I once was thinking...

Engine and trans on its way back in:

And without any major drama the engine and trans is back in the car. Very happy that all my home made stuff, steering, motor mounts, crossmembers and so on cleared and fitted as it was supposed to:

I do have a problem here. The power steering pump is in the way for the turbocharger. But as I am planning on running an EDIS ditributorless ignition I can easily move the pump to the left in this picture. Also probably need to lower the reservoir some:

1/31/2015 11:21 PM  #39

Very impressive build.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

2/03/2015 3:47 PM  #40

I noticed the single exhaust right away too, but wow turbo car. That should be real interesting. Fabricating the headers for a turbo and all the piping will be a project in itself, but overall I am jealous because my car is no where near where yours is. Your craftmanship is awesome as well.

2/03/2015 4:30 PM  #41

Thanks both!

Yes, header fabrication is quite a challange. This is what my workbench looks like right now and I need to go and buy even more tubing and a piece of flexpipe tomorrow. Used the flanges, collectors and material from my old longtube headers : 

Here's my second design on the driver's side. Looks like it might work:

2/04/2015 5:59 PM  #42

Couple of concerns after seeing the last few pictures. Do you have the right side exhaust hooked up to the left side header? I can not tell from the picture. I think you would want a cross over pipe to equalize both exhaust back pressures when running the turbo. Lastly the fresh air turbo inlet, you may want a flexible rubber attachment or a larger hole. When revving the engine the motor will move and will put pressure on the inner fender and or the turbo.

Last edited by MachTJ (2/04/2015 6:00 PM)

2/05/2015 2:10 AM  #43

MachTJ wrote:

Couple of concerns after seeing the last few pictures. Do you have the right side exhaust hooked up to the left side header? I can not tell from the picture. I think you would want a cross over pipe to equalize both exhaust back pressures when running the turbo. Lastly the fresh air turbo inlet, you may want a flexible rubber attachment or a larger hole. When revving the engine the motor will move and will put pressure on the inner fender and or the turbo.

Yes, I am well aware of both concerns and are taking them into account. Picture shows just the driver's side header and I haven't even started on the other side yet. The fresh air inlet is just rough lenght and is going to be cut to make room for a flexible connection.

2/08/2015 8:42 PM  #44

what year will the bash be in Sweden??  I need to start saving for that trip!!  Can't wait to see this finished car!!

2/08/2015 9:02 PM  #45

Looking good! Any info on that tilter you have there? I might have to make one of those when I start on my 65 Falcon.

2/09/2015 4:15 AM  #46

terry wrote:

what year will the bash be in Sweden??  I need to start saving for that trip!!  Can't wait to see this finished car!!

Good question! Actually the other way around is not uncommon. Several Scandinavian cars have been shipped to the US to participate in the Street Rod Nat's, SEMA and lately the Grand National Roadster Show.

tweet66 wrote:

Looking good! Any info on that tilter you have there? I might have to make one of those when I start on my 65 Falcon.

Thanks! Here's a picture album from when I made the tilter/rotisserie: http://public.fotki.com/VikingMustang/the-phoenix-project/rotisserie/

Here's the latest progress on the turbo exhaust system. It's the second and final design of the passenger side header and the second but not final design of the downpipe. Also working on the connection between the two sides:

Yes, there is a good ½" of room between the header and the shocktower:

The flexpipe is supposed to be behind the the downpipe. There's just enough room in front of the oilpan and above the sway bar for it to fit there:

2/17/2015 3:49 AM  #47

Both side headers done, the connection between them and the first part of the downpipe also done. Working on the wastegate plumbing:

2/18/2015 3:07 AM  #48

Wastegate plumbing done:

2/19/2015 1:07 PM  #49

As mentioned above I had to do something about the power steering pump reservoir. Couldn't find anything on the aftermarket that I wouldn't have had to modify to fit anyway. So I went and picked up two other Nissan reservoirs at the local wrecking yard:

Very easy to take apart:

This is what I finally used together with a piece of 2.5" exhaust tubing:

Here's the welded and soldered result:

3/05/2015 2:54 PM  #50

The latest...

It's a little hard to see, but the whole exhaust system is now welded and connected:

Started on the "cold" side and made this pipe from the intercooler to the throttlebody. Took a while as I also had to learn how to weld aluminum. It worked out pretty good using my Esab 160A 220V MIG, no spoolgun and with straight Argon. I am of course going to polish the pipe later.

The intercooler fits inside the original grille. Put the Pony there just for fun.

Plenty of room for the fan.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.