FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2013 12:44 PM  #1

My unique tool.

Here are some pictures of the door hinge wrench I mentioned in an earlier post.

The wrench will slip in between the door and the pillar the the hinges bolt onto.

Using a 12 point socket just enough motion is available to loosen and tighten the door hinge bolts.

The 3/8" drive in the lathe with the snap ring grooves and getting cut off.

The "Dog Leg" tool handle with a 3/8" square hole for the square drive. I did not have any 1/4" stock at the time so i laminated some 1/8"flat bars, not pretty!

The component parts with snap rings. I used the snap rings so that the drive can be reversed for the right side of the car.

The assembled tool.

The tool being used on the door hinge bolts.

Last edited by Rudi (2/22/2019 12:10 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/21/2013 4:32 PM  #2

Re: My unique tool.

That is some mighty fine thinking, Rudi.  The c-clips are a great idea for L & R .

I have something similar I built for getting to UCA bolts on 351C equipped cars.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/21/2013 10:54 PM  #3

How did you drill a square hole?

serious question!

5/22/2013 7:06 AM  #4

Reminds me of one of these

It's hard to type "funny"

5/22/2013 9:10 AM  #5

That is pretty cool, Rudi.  I'm a big fan of homebrew tools.  You know, I have a couple of box-end type wrenches that  have a ratcheting feature that can be reversed by flipping a little toggle.  They are as flat as any end-wrench but by moving the toggle they will drive in either direction...as a ratchet.

If one were to replace the socket ent of your device with about half of one of these wrenches it might just be a better way to go....maybe.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/22/2013 12:53 PM  #6

Craig, I drilled a 23/64"  hole filed the hole square and the broached it to final size, 3/8",  with a HSS tool bit.

Derek, don'r recognize that one.

Bob, a socket is a must for this one, I thought of the ratcheting gizmos but they lay flat and would interfere with the other bolt heads. The socket stands away just enough to clear the adjacent bolts.

Last edited by Rudi (5/22/2013 12:57 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/22/2013 2:05 PM  #7

Rudi wrote:

Craig, I drilled a 23/64"  hole filed the hole square and the broached it to final size, 3/8",  with a HSS tool bit.

Derek, don'r recognize that one.

Bob, a socket is a must for this one, I thought of the ratcheting gizmos but they lay flat and would interfere with the other bolt heads. The socket stands away just enough to clear the adjacent bolts.

It's ah serpentine belt tentioner wrench set. The small one can fit onto the end of the large one at multiple angles and has a 3/8" & 1/2" socket ends. This ones from Harbor Freight $18.00 or any auto parts store has them.

It's hard to type "funny"

5/22/2013 11:28 PM  #8

Rudi, nice job on the tool. I just replaced all 4 hinges on my 66. My buddy had a set of old snap on wrenches curved specifically for door hinges and an engine stand with a height adjustable door striker on it. The bronze insert in the reproduction hinges is marginal for regular use, so I oil my hinges frequently. Hopefully, I will not have to replace the hinges for a couple of years.

5/23/2013 5:40 AM  #9

What, no ratchet?

John

2/22/2019 3:25 PM  #10

My version of a door hinge adjustment tool, works well on the lower hinge, would have to make some kind of custom socket for it to work like Rudi's version on the upper.

2/22/2019 4:35 PM  #11

I hope you guys doing hinges are aware of the MustangSteve rebuild kit.  They have ZERO play, unlike brand new replacement hinges, and can be greased.  Tried to post a pic, but TinyPics is acting up again.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.