FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2015 10:05 PM  #26

Re: Okay, I give up...an hour and a half is long enough...

jerryF wrote:

Bob, is your cam the Comp XE266?   I understand the Xtreme Energy camshafts tend to be a bit noisy because of the "extreme" ramp rates.  

most valve train noise with fast ramp cams is caused by cr"_ppy" lifters, especially if they are comp cam lifters . . crane lifters do not make noise.

Last edited by barnett468 (3/09/2015 10:06 PM)

3/10/2015 5:18 AM  #27

Bullet Bob wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Had the same thing happen to me BB back a long time ago.  Whoever built the engine didn't put that Round clip on the oil pump shaft. When I pulled out the Distributer there went the oil pump shaft in the oil pan.  What a PIA.  
Sounds like the same noise in my engine.  Do you have a way of taking a video and posting it BB?  Might help Dx it.
Glad its running for you.

Steve69

Yeah Steve...whoever built my engine didn't push the little thingie up near the guide boss like he was 'sposed to do.  Hmmmm, if I ever find him...

You say your's makes a similar noise?  Bring it to the bash and we'll have a jug band.  That's what it sounds like.

BB

Im still in the 75 mile circle Comfort Zone BB.   A 4300 mile round trip would be way out of my comfort Zone...LOL   

3/10/2015 6:10 AM  #28

Steve69 wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Had the same thing happen to me BB back a long time ago.  Whoever built the engine didn't put that Round clip on the oil pump shaft. When I pulled out the Distributer there went the oil pump shaft in the oil pan.  What a PIA.  
Sounds like the same noise in my engine.  Do you have a way of taking a video and posting it BB?  Might help Dx it.
Glad its running for you.

Steve69

Yeah Steve...whoever built my engine didn't push the little thingie up near the guide boss like he was 'sposed to do.  Hmmmm, if I ever find him...

You say your's makes a similar noise?  Bring it to the bash and we'll have a jug band.  That's what it sounds like.

BB

Im still in the 75 mile circle Comfort Zone BB.   A 4300 mile round trip would be way out of my comfort Zone...LOL   

Steve, just look at some of the crap you see going down the highway...your's can't be as bad.  If you can drive it around that 75 mile zone without problems then why wouldn't it go farther?  Corky had less than 100 mile on that fresh 331 when we took Miss May to Tomball 2012...about 1500 miles round trip and most of it at highway speed.

Hook up with TimC, then you both hook up with Terry.  As you move south there's sure to be others you can cruise with.  Then you get to Dallas and there'll be lots of people to run with.  Nobody will ever get left by the side of the road and unless it puts a rod through the block (I've been there once) it can usually be fixed on the spot.  Bring a good credit card, an AAA  card, and a cell phone.  Worst case, you have to have it hauled home and rent something to finish the trip.  Butt (TS&T) you'd still have a great time. 

Seems to me that most old car troubles are related to overheating, poor wiring technique, and excessive noise from the passenger seat.  If you don't have those problems and  you fix anything that's obvious, you're probably good to go. 

I guess I'm just more of a "highway" guy than some others.  In '86 my 15 year old son and I loaded up my Model A boat-tailed speedster and drove it from Colo to SoCal, then to Phoenix and back home.  That was a 1932 engine with an overhead valve head conversion.  Whole car was hand built out of ancient parts.  I did have to tighten the water pump packing each day. 
Guess I just got's the faith.  If I can't drive it...I don't want it.

Okay, I'll get off my  pulpit...sorry.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/10/2015 5:38 PM  #29

Bullet Bob wrote:

jerryF wrote:

I understand the Xtreme Energy camshafts tend to be a bit noisy because of the "extreme" ramp rates.  

Yes...that probably accounts for the valve train hash, or at least some of it.

that cam makes no noise. . if you hear a ticking sound it is the lifters, rockers or pistons etc . . crane lifters do not tick...ever.

Last edited by barnett468 (3/10/2015 7:15 PM)

3/10/2015 6:16 PM  #30

Bullet Bob wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB

Steve, just look at some of the crap you see going down the highway...your's can't be as bad.  If you can drive it around that 75 mile zone without problems then why wouldn't it go farther?  Corky had less than 100 mile on that fresh 331 when we took Miss May to Tomball 2012...about 1500 miles round trip and most of it at highway speed.

Hook up with TimC, then you both hook up with Terry.  As you move south there's sure to be others you can cruise with.  Then you get to Dallas and there'll be lots of people to run with.  Nobody will ever get left by the side of the road and unless it puts a rod through the block (I've been there once) it can usually be fixed on the spot.  Bring a good credit card, an AAA  card, and a cell phone.  Worst case, you have to have it hauled home and rent something to finish the trip.  Butt (TS&T) you'd still have a great time. 

Seems to me that most old car troubles are related to overheating, poor wiring technique, and excessive noise from the passenger seat.  If you don't have those problems and  you fix anything that's obvious, you're probably good to go. 

I guess I'm just more of a "highway" guy than some others.  In '86 my 15 year old son and I loaded up my Model A boat-tailed speedster and drove it from Colo to SoCal, then to Phoenix and back home.  That was a 1932 engine with an overhead valve head conversion.  Whole car was hand built out of ancient parts.  I did have to tighten the water pump packing each day. 

BB

Back in the 1987 I did drive my 79 Cobra Mustang home on a Weekend Leave from Fort Hood Texas to Madison WI.   I drove straight through stayed one Day straight through all the way back to TX...LOL    When I get a new engine or stick that 5.0 in Ill have more good feelings about trusting it. 

3/10/2015 11:09 PM  #31

Bullet Bob wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB

A 4300 mile round trip would be way out of my comfort Zone...LOL  

Ain't nuth'in to it!! I aven't missed hardly any MSBB's and I drove my 66 evertime. (all the way from Charleston,SC and back) I "shore" ain't no show car but its pretty dependable. Big cam....noisey mufflers...the whole 9 yards.VERY peppy...if I must say so. When I get another gear for it  should REALLY be a mover. American Express....AARP card..... and a can of Fix-a-flat..(I don't even have a jack or spare in it!!)always go with me! If you're not living on the edge................you're tak'in up too much space.
MS will tell you...."thisis the whole idea behind the bash(s)." Jump in these souped-up....easter egg colored...ponys and make like you're in the 60's. (Like that guy on the Viagrea commercial in his Camero. Stops in the desert for som bottled water for his Chebby)
I tell everybody..."when I'm look'in through the windsheild of my 66......I'm looking with 16 year old eyes"!! 

BB

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/11/2015 9:22 AM  #32

MIke....you be my hero.  My favorite picture is you cruisin' down the road, window down, big grin.  How it should be.  I also have a shot that Hakan took of our car in the sideview mirror of Glen's 65.  I love that one too.

Back in '62 or '63, two friends of mine loaded up a 1930 "A" sport coupe and drove from LA to the Seattle World's Fair...Space Needle country, and back to LA.  No problem other than trying to stay out ot the way of a logging truck or two.

Everyone thought that was pretty guttsie until a couple of years later they took off in a '29 Sedan Delivery with an OHV conversion and went to the New York World's Fair...and back.  Tighten up the water pump packing once a day, change the points and condenser a couple of times, adjust the Winfield carbs for altitude change...have great time.  These were one car, no group, no back up cruises...just like my trip in 86.  Just get in it and go.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/11/2015 9:24 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/11/2015 9:29 AM  #33

6sally6 wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

A 4300 mile round trip would be way out of my comfort Zone...LOL  

Ain't nuth'in to it!! I aven't missed hardly any MSBB's and I drove my 66 evertime. (all the way from Charleston,SC and back) I "shore" ain't no show car but its pretty dependable. Big cam....noisey mufflers...the whole 9 yards.VERY peppy...if I must say so. When I get another gear for it  should REALLY be a mover. American Express....AARP card..... and a can of Fix-a-flat..(I don't even have a jack or spare in it!!)always go with me! If you're not living on the edge................you're tak'in up too much space.
MS will tell you...."thisis the whole idea behind the bash(s)." Jump in these souped-up....easter egg colored...ponys and make like you're in the 60's. (Like that guy on the Viagrea commercial in his Camero. Stops in the desert for som bottled water for his Chebby)
I tell everybody..."when I'm look'in through the windsheild of my 66......I'm looking with 16 year old eyes"!! 

BB

When the kids are older and I can invest most of my time to the Hobby that will help.    I have to figure
our why the engine is running hot and that would make me feel better about jumpin in and going.  

3/11/2015 9:42 AM  #34

This is a guess, but if the woo-woo noise sounds like a water jug band then it has to be air flow related.  If it goes away after it warms up it most likely is because some metal part expands and seals a tiny gasket gap.  Manifold to head seal possibly?

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

3/11/2015 9:52 AM  #35

JSHarvey wrote:

This is a guess, but if the woo-woo noise sounds like a water jug band then it has to be air flow related.  If it goes away after it warms up it most likely is because some metal part expands and seals a tiny gasket gap.  Manifold to head seal possibly?

I'm thinking along the same lines and will be testing for a manny leak later today.  It comes on and get's worse as the engine warms up.  I just don't know why it seems to resonate through the valve cover.

BB

3/11/2015 11:31 AM  #36

Bullet, I have no idea if this is your issue, but when I put the EFI 5.0 in Cara's 65, it had a problem that just about drove me nuts (some argue it may have succeeded) and it turned out to be a rubber vacuum cap on the underside of the intake horn was cracked..

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/11/2015 2:06 PM  #37

MustangSteve wrote:

Bullet, I have no idea if this is your issue, but when I put the EFI 5.0 in Cara's 65, it had a problem that just about drove me nuts (some argue it may have succeeded) and it turned out to be a rubber vacuum cap on the underside of the intake horn was cracked..

I will check all vac connections....again.

Thank for the ideas guys.

BB

2/28/2016 5:42 PM  #38

I vaguely remember my Cougar making a similar sound, back in the late 80s...  for some reason it seems like this ended up being a problem with one of my cooling hoses collapsing; it'd make a sound a little like a harmonica note, but it was hard to reproduce.  Conditions had to be just right.  Seems like maybe it had to do with the thermostat too?   

Man, I'm sorry I can't remember the situation (or the fix!) better.  Seems like the noise was just a predecessor to other problems that made the real issue pretty noticeable, so the sound went away when I fixed the other more serious problems.

TL;DR - my problem was caused by steam, not vacuum.  Maybe you've got something similar going on.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

2/28/2016 5:43 PM  #39

... wow.  Nothing like a timely response!   Hope you already got this one solved, Bob. =)

2/28/2016 6:06 PM  #40

BB
   What roller rockers are you running?  I've developed a noise in a rebuid when guide plates and rail style rockers are used together.  Two separate methods of guiding the push rod puts it in a bind, and it rubs the guide plate, making almost a chirping noise.  Might be worth a look.
Best,
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

2/28/2016 6:07 PM  #41

BB
   What roller rockers are you running?  I've developed a noise in a rebuild when guide plates and rail style rockers are used together.  Two separate methods of guiding the push rod puts it in a bind, and it rubs the guide plate, making almost a chirping noise.  Might be worth a look.
Best,
Al

2/28/2016 6:19 PM  #42

Technomancer wrote:

... wow.  Nothing like a timely response!   Hope you already got this one solved, Bob. =)

Wow Tech, I had to read a bit just to rememberize what that post was all about.  Thanks for the info about that weird noise.  Only now I have to worry about where it's leading. What were the more serious issues you had to fix?  Sounds scary.

I drove the car about 3k since putting it back on the road and that included nearly 2500 to the bash and back at 70-80 all the way...no problems and no change to the noise.  Just fired it up for a winter warm-up yesterday...no change.  I think I'm going to RTPOOI and see what happens.  After MS gave me throttle body tuning instructions at the bash the silly thing runs great and idles way better than it did at first. 

As for a steam problem, I guess that's possible but I have seen absolutely no indication of heating or hot spots and cavitation.   It behaves just like it always has (noisy mods were made after 16k as a stocker) as far as the cooling system goes. But, that makes sense as it gets worse with temp.  I wonder if pulling the stat might give a clue?  Hmmmm, thanks, something to think about.

Anyway, thanks for the post, it was good to see your name again. Come to the bash and I'll buy you...but not everyone else, Mike, Glen and Corky...an adult beverage at the post-bash-bash.

BB

2/28/2016 6:31 PM  #43

Al Newman wrote:

BB
What roller rockers are you running? I've developed a noise in a rebuild when guide plates and rail style rockers are used together. Two separate methods of guiding the push rod puts it in a bind, and it rubs the guide plate, making almost a chirping noise. Might be worth a look.
Best,
Al

I'm running Scorpian stud type rollers, Al.  PR to guide rubbing was one of the first things I though about, but making minor adjustment/alignment changes didn't change a thing.  I can only describe my noise as a sort of Woooo-woooo, or a medium freq. ringing.  Nothing in the bottom end was disassembled or changed.  Just swapped the cam, heads, push rods, and rockers.   If it weren't for others saying they can hear it, and the stethoscope making it very obvious over number one, I'd think it's just my rapidly failing and diminishing range of hearing.

If you have any ideas I'm listening.  Got another couple of months to rip it apart before I just RTPOOI all summer.

Thanks Al, make the bash.  It's gonna be another good one and, unlike some of your "friends",  I won't even ask you to cook.  Come in from Pueblo on US-50.  Good road and no really scary narrow-twisties.  And you might even see some bighorn sheep along the Arkansas River.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (2/28/2016 6:32 PM)

2/28/2016 7:50 PM  #44

I a m too far removed from daily hands on Mustanging to know about Scorpion rockers.  Are they flat nosed or rail style?
Best,
Al

2/28/2016 8:08 PM  #45

roller.....

2/28/2016 8:25 PM  #46

Sorry Al.  As Josh stated, they are an after market roller tipped, stud mount rocker.  Mine are stock 1.6:1 ratio and the AFR heads require PR guide plates to keep every thing lined up.

BB

2/28/2016 8:33 PM  #47

BB
Still need to know if they are flat nosed rollers or rail style rollers.  Is the roller even with the side supports of the rocker body or is the roller recessed a bit, thus allowing the side supports to ride alongside the valve stem tip and keep the rocker from slipping off the stem.
Best,
Al

2/28/2016 8:46 PM  #48

Al Newman wrote:

BB
Still need to know if they are flat nosed rollers or rail style rollers. Is the roller even with the side supports of the rocker body or is the roller recessed a bit, thus allowing the side supports to ride alongside the valve stem tip and keep the rocker from slipping off the stem.
Best,
Al

Well heck, Al.  Now you gonna make me dig a bit.  I'm nearly certain they are flat-nosed with no guide rails...but I'll have to prove it.  It does seem though that if they were rail type they would make noise at more than just the No. 1 cyl.  Thanks, never though of that.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (2/28/2016 8:58 PM)

2/28/2016 10:04 PM  #49

Wondering if you can post a video with the noise? Have you disconnected the belts and ran the engine to eliminate possible power steering or alternator noise? Also with the engine running and while it's making the noise see if removing the oil filler cap eliminates the noise. If it does then it's most likely an intake vacuum leak on the inside of the engine. A woo wooo noise makes me think vacuum leak or something rotating on the verge of failing, valvetrain problems are usually a ticking or knocking type of noise.

2/29/2016 12:19 AM  #50

Well Bob, IIRC, a lot of things happened at once.  I lost a motor mount (unrelated to the problem) so my flex-fan sawbladed through my upper radiator hose.  It was a real headscratcher for me, as to how that fan blade could keep reaching up and cutting holes in the radiator hose until someone had me stand on the brake and rev the engine gently.  (Automatic transmission)
I watched the engine come up and cut right through another brand new hose, just like a knife.  Amazing.

When I changed the hoses, after I fixed the motor mounts, I noticed that the thermostat was stuck open.  When I changed all the hoses and the thermostat, the "musical note" problem went away!

I can't recall if it was the upper or lower hose, but afterward, I think I had figured out that it was 'collapsing' under revs, and somehow that was related to the noise I'd been hearing.  Too many years ago, too many problems fixed to remember exactly how this all went down at the time.

Last edited by Technomancer (2/29/2016 12:19 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.