FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2015 4:11 PM  #1

electric fuel pump location

I am running a 5.8L windsor in my '65 Fastback with a serpentine acces. drive set-up and don't have provisions to run a manual fuel pump.  Any suggestions or pictures where would be a good location to mount the electric pump?  Thanks  Jerry

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

5/12/2015 8:45 AM  #2

Re: electric fuel pump location

Jerry, My brother converted the 73 Vert to an electric fuel pump. Mounted it on the fender apron, just above the hard fuel line, where it comes into the engine compartment.
Hepowered it from the fuse panel, and even installed a hidden toggle switch as a security measure.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

5/12/2015 12:42 PM  #3

Is this what you are trying to install?
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Fuel-Pump-Electric-In-Line-Type/_/R-NFPP72001_0006346149

In a thread, awhile back, they were talking about installing one of these as an auxilliary pump at start up to fill the float bowls after sitting.  In that thread they talked about the need to install it in the rear, near the gas tank.  Personally, I don't know,

5/12/2015 2:39 PM  #4

Always best to mount electric fuel pumps close to the tank, as they push fuel, not pull.

5/12/2015 6:05 PM  #5

Mine is mounted right in front of the tank.  I made a bracket which is attached to the fuel tank bolts.  it puts the fuel pump down below the level of the pickup tube in the tank.  I also have a fuel filter BEFORE the pump and my fuel regulator is mounted on the drivers inner fender.

5/12/2015 6:24 PM  #6

Mine is EFI but you can use the same mount by the fuel tank for a carb pump.

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=RMP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9105

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

5/12/2015 7:54 PM  #7

R65, a few months ago I was tasked with installing an electric fuel pump for a customer.  (Not my idea).  In researching the pumps, I found that the impeller type pumps need to be mounted below the fuel level in the tank.  The solenoid type pumps - the ones that go click click click - can be mounted above the level of the fuel in the tank.  This was referencing the standard pumps, not the high dollar miracle wham bam thank ya ma'am pumps.  Also, please remember that using an electric pump you need to use a safety switch that will shut the pump down incase of  a mishap - so the pump will not keep pumping while the engine  is on fire.  Two types of these - one is an inertia switch which shuts down kinda like your seat belts lock up in an accident.  The other shuts down when the system voltage drops below ( I think ) 13 volts - the voltage below alternator output.
Good Luck

5/12/2015 8:15 PM  #8

Electric fuel pumps are so great, I always install them in pairs with check valves! Every car I have is so low to the ground there is no way you can install them below the lowest fuel level. 

5/12/2015 9:02 PM  #9

Thanks everyone for the info.  I am using an interia switch to shut off the pump in an accident.  Some use a low pressure switch tied into the oil sender area that breakes the ground to a relay for the electric pump in an accident.  This uses a momentary switch to prime the carb before oil pressure is built up.    I was curious if the area around the fuel tank mounting was adaquate for mounting, but it seems that will work, so I think I will look at doing that.  Jerry

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

5/13/2015 5:17 AM  #10

Could you change the timing cover and install a ecentric with Manual Pump?    I installed a new timing cover this last winter.   I was going to go with serpentine belt system.   After looking at the 5.0 Timing Cover and the 302 cover I couldn't see anything difference as far as clearance exept the hole for the manual pump.   When I took a look at the 302 water pump and the 5.0 wanter pump there was a 3/8 difference.   The 5.0 pump was 3/8 longer which would put the water pump pulley out farther.   For me that would of put the water pump pulley into the Electric Fan using the 5.0 serpentine pulley system.

Steve69

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.