FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2015 6:06 PM  #1

Installing window trim clips

How come I never figured this out before?  The little metal clips that must be installed on the little studs around the front and rear windows are alot easier to install than I thought.  After thinking about it (dangerous activity) it dawned on me that all those funny little shapes on those things are not just there to amuse you.  Down st the bottom flange, there are two tiny little slots.  Turns out a C-clip tool (like pliers except they spread the jaws when the handles are pressed together) will fit into those two tiny little slots.  You then expand the clip and slip it over the stud and let go.  No more broken studs and scratched paint.  I have a video from my phone.  Hope it comes through, but if not,. maybe someone can help me post it.
[img]View My Video[/img]

Last edited by MustangSteve (5/21/2015 6:07 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/21/2015 6:20 PM  #2

Re: Installing window trim clips

Perfect! Now post video?

5/21/2015 6:20 PM  #3

When I click on VIEW MY VIDEO, it comes up and plays.  Does it not do that for you?

5/21/2015 6:24 PM  #4

Plays for me.   Great idea!

5/21/2015 6:35 PM  #5

Works for me but sounds like a hog rooting around.  What's with that.  Great solution to nagging problem, Steve.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/21/2015 9:30 PM  #6

Cute except for one thing............won't work if the glass and gasket are already in& just RE-installing the trim.
I got an old screwdriver and filed a small notch in the blade tip. Notch is just deep enough to hang onto the part of the clip that slides over the pin. Put clip in place and with screwdriver on clip...give it a tap with a hammer and slides right on!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/21/2015 9:50 PM  #7

Tried it your way, sal.  I had a real thin wood chisel 1" wide with a deep groove ground out of the center.  I managed to shear off three studs trying to get them in place with the glass and gasket already installed.  Shearing them off left three big holes that mastercrap was supposed to weld up, but they bondo'd instead.  That is why I decided to pull the window, mainly to replace the broken studs that were in critical areas.  This was with a real sturdy Scott Drake gasket in place.  All gaskets are not that hard to work around, probably.

This method MIGHT work with the gasket in place.  I hope I never have to install another clip in my lifetime.

If yours slide on and work you are very lucky or very good !  Or very good AND very lucky!

Sorry about that sound in the video.  I have no idea how that got there, unless the phone was pickup up a fan that was running nearby.  And the fan was NOT making that kind of noise!.

Last edited by MustangSteve (5/21/2015 9:52 PM)

5/22/2015 5:44 AM  #8

MustangSteve wrote:

When I click on VIEW MY VIDEO, it comes up and plays.  Does it not do that for you?

Its my phone. Says I need flash 9, not supported.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.