FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2015 1:57 PM  #1

Which coil for duraspark 2?

So I'm gonna make the duraspark 2 ignition upgrade, and have digested MS's diagram.  It recommends a high performance 12v coil.  Can someone tell me brand/part numbers for the compatible coil, if wired directly to 12V ?

I want it to look as OEM as possible, so I intend to keep the small diameter cap on the dizzy, and would like a stockish looking coil.

6/02/2015 5:24 PM  #2

Re: Which coil for duraspark 2?

Something to think about: Ford went to the large cap to minimize arcing between the terminals due to the increased voltage.

6/02/2015 8:13 PM  #3

Ford used the resistor wire for all cars, so I used one too. A stock replacement Duraspark coil has worked better for me than an Accel coil (with the same primary resistance as the Duraspark coil)

jerry

6/03/2015 7:51 AM  #4

I'm actually near the end of my Duraspark II upgrade and have been researching this for a bit.  I'll try to post a few pics later w/ some additional details.  I got the harness and module from a salvage yard and integrated it into my stock wiring.  After reading a number of posts here and elsewhere, I decided to go w/ MS's direction to bypass the pink resister wire, concluding that the need for resistence in the circuit was dependent on the type of coil used and that a high performance, low internal resistance coil would not need the additional resistance from the pink wire and the resulting spark energy would be greater w/out it.  For example, to my knowledge, HEI coils do not require additional resistance. Also, I'm thinking of hiding an HEI module inside of the Duraspark box if it turns out the Duraspark isn't up to the task.  So I went with an MSD Blaster II canister coil, which went with the stock look I'm after. 

Another thing I'm going to try is to use a small cap, as the large cap just looks out of place on my engine and it interferes w/ the export brace.  I understand that a 70s-80 International (Scout) cap for the Prestolite distributor fits (with some minor clearancing for the vacuum advance arm) and comes w/ the male/HEI terminals so if I do get spark arching due to the shorter distance between the cap terminals, I can just go back to the large cap.  More later.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

6/03/2015 9:24 AM  #5

Was there a "Duraspark 1" system and then "Duraspark 2"? 
Appreciate all answers!
Howard 

6/03/2015 12:36 PM  #6

hmartin025 wrote:

Was there a "Duraspark 1" system and then "Duraspark 2"? 
Appreciate all answers!
Howard 

Here's a link to an article that describes the differences between the 2 systems, with DS2 generally accepted as the preferable one.  https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/12/DuraSpark/

6/03/2015 5:41 PM  #7

Thanks Tim

6/03/2015 9:32 PM  #8

Here is a good write up on the duraspark 1, found it in a Pantera forum, good info, post #5, enjoy
http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5650045562/m/7731000846

Last edited by Rsmach1 (6/03/2015 9:33 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.