FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/03/2013 5:22 AM  #1

Mach 1 Update, From the week End

It was a busy week end with the kids and trying to catch up with the yard work from all the rain, so I didn't get a lot done, but I did get some more parts cleaned and I got some work done on the rear valance.

I know I said that I am just trying to get it safe and reliable, so what does the rear valance have to do with that. Well I am installing complete new exhaust (safe) from the block back, and my Mach 1 came with turn downs in stead of chrome tip through the valance, and what is a Mach 1 with out those.

I ordered a repop valance and it fits about as good as any of them I have ever seen. Well after too much time of trying to make the repop fit, I decided that I would use my factory one and modifiy it.

This is how it fit on both sides, and this is after working on it.

So this was the next option.

I am no where the fabricator some of you guys are, but I'm not going to get any better without doin it.

A little mud and blocking and I should be good to go, and at least this one somewhat fits the car.

I hope to get more accomplished on the car this week.

6/03/2013 5:44 AM  #2

Re: Mach 1 Update, From the week End

Looks good to me. Just remember anything they can do in a factory in Detroit or NJ. you can duplicate at home...usually with bettter results.   

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

6/03/2013 7:13 AM  #3

Good idea!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/04/2013 4:25 PM  #4

Kar I feel your pain, my repop fit so bad that I cut it in half and got the ends to fit as close as I could and then welded in a piece to rejoin it. I also considered doing something like yours and cutting out a place for the pipes but decided to just put turn downs on it instead. What did you use to get the nice lip on the rounded section?  Nice job, keep up the good work, I think you are going make the bash.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

6/04/2013 5:14 PM  #5

All I did is cut the exhaust cut out areas out of the repop piece and weld them into my stock valance.

I am keeping my head up about driving it to the bash, but tonight I uncovered some rust in the trunk floor from undernength, in basically a rust free car, something must have sat in the trunk wet at some point. I thought about just patching it up, but know I won't be happy unless I do it right, so I guess I will replace the trunk floor. i will load some photos.

I noticed you are from Indiana, I will be going to the Bash from Lexington Ky, may be able to put together a caravan.

6/04/2013 6:55 PM  #6

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same shape as you. I've good a lot of work to do to mine, but hope to have it roadworthy by the time of the bash. My problem is I can't seem to stay on it as long as I should. Seems there is always something else that I need to do instead,and I am retired, I should have time to do whatever I need to do.

6/05/2013 5:18 AM  #7

Well, this is the rust I found in the back of the trunk area of the Mach 1, it's amazing how a wire wheel can turn a couple pin holes into swiss cheese. This area is the low spot of the trunk, so either the trunk lid seal leaks and water settles back there or something spilled and was let set there for a very extended time, or I guess the rear glass could leak. I washed the car and flooded it with water when I got it last fall, and could not find any leaks anywhere.

Right side back,

Left corner,

Over the right side rear frame hole.

Overall the rest of the trunk floor looks good, but it still may be easier to replace the whole thing as a panel vs patching it in.

6/05/2013 6:33 AM  #8

Kar, it's good to find another member from Lexington.  I'm on the south side and am working on a 1965 fastback..

6/05/2013 7:58 AM  #9

Where at, I'm off Claysmill rd, Stonewall subdivision

6/05/2013 8:38 PM  #10

MAW wrote:

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same shape as you. I've good a lot of work to do to mine, but hope to have it roadworthy by the time of the bash. My problem is I can't seem to stay on it as long as I should. Seems there is always something else that I need to do instead,and I am retired, I should have time to do whatever I need to do.

X-2!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/06/2013 5:30 AM  #11

Kar wrote:

Where at, I'm off Claysmill rd, Stonewall subdivision

We are practically neighbors.  I'm off Boston Rd, in Stonecreek.  Between Man O'War and Cromwell.

6/06/2013 5:53 AM  #12

Kar those areas don't look too big, I've found that it is better to cut out and then patch small areas than to replace entire panels. Most repop sheet metal is crap, better to keep original and just patch where needed. JMHO       Plus you get better at welding

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.