FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2013 11:08 AM  #1

Horn springs on turn signal cam

hey yall, is there a way to repair or replace the springs on my turn signal cam that activate the horn? I was trouble shooting why my horn will not work with the steering wheel on.  But will work when I jump the post on the cam with the wheel off.  Then I noticed that one of the post springs are broken and it will not stay in the up position.  Everything else works great on the cam.  Part number C50A 13341-C BPD, tag has a FORD logo on it.  Thanks.

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

6/05/2013 12:38 PM  #2

Re: Horn springs on turn signal cam

You would have to grind off the wire connector at the bottom of the spring loaded stud to remove the wire, then slide the stud out to install a new spring.  Then solder a new wire connector to the back for reassembly.  I just threw out a turn signal switch that had two unbroken springs on it.  I could probably retrieve it...

All that effort might be more trouble than it is worth.

Second thought just passed through my brain...  What if you could get one end of that spring "unthreaded" from around the stud and thread it off, then thread a new one on without removing anything?  That might be worth a try.  Let me know if you need some springs to play with.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/05/2013 1:25 PM  #3

Pm sent

6/05/2013 2:44 PM  #4

Tmac, maybe we could bash our cars together and get a horn that works right!  Mine honks as I'm driving or rather when I'm turning!! I have not looked into it very far! 

6/05/2013 2:53 PM  #5

Terry that's funny. Ya I thought it was the wheel. Then I saw a post about the column being too far apart. I moved the column closer. That's when I noticed the broken spring on the post. I sent MS a pm about the springs. But my wife just told me to buy whatever I needed. I knew I fell in love with her for a reason!!!! Anyways, I need the horn to work so I can get it inspected. That's all I need to start driving around town!!!

6/05/2013 8:32 PM  #6

Same thing happened to me a while back. My "shadetree" approach seems to work VERY well. I un soldered the broken spring and substitued a spring out of a ball point pen. Believe it or not...it works great! Been to Houston and back with zero issues.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/06/2013 5:39 AM  #7

Tmac wrote:

Terry that's funny. Ya I thought it was the wheel. Then I saw a post about the column being too far apart. I moved the column closer. !

Tmac can you post a link to that article??  Maybe my column is too close.  My turn signals dont always self cancel.  I took my steering wheel off but didnt see anything out of whack

6/06/2013 6:08 AM  #8

Sure thing Terry. Go to the second page of the forum. 4th post down by 66stangman. He is asking help about his turn signals. MS answers him about the column being too close. 

6/06/2013 8:27 AM  #9

I think the electrical components in the steering wheel is sold as one item.  I think it was around $60 bucks.  It was an improvement for mine, but still not perfect.  Just a poor design all around.  I suppose it was the best they could do 50 years ago.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.