FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2013 5:31 PM  #1

Hvlp questions

I have a smaller compressor that puts out 7.5 at 40psi. I'm looking for a good gun to use with my compressor. Has anyone here used the eastwood concorse? I'm gonna be spraying swift red bc/cc most likely

6/02/2013 11:54 AM  #2

Re: Hvlp questions

I would think that that gun would have some CFM requirements listed with it.  Does your compressor have a tank?  I think it is too small for HVLP.

HVLP, of course, stands for High Volume, Low Pressure.  I never could understand why this would require high CFM's.  I do know that they want to be regulated down to about 23 psi, right at the gun, not at the compressor. They do not like 1/4" hoses regulated back at the compressor.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will jump in.

6/05/2013 3:47 PM  #3

The eastwood concours uses only 5-7 cfm instead of some which use 12+. I also Hurd about the asturo r series. Has anyone used the spraygunworld.com

6/05/2013 8:32 PM  #4

boomyal wrote:

HVLP, of course, stands for High Volume, Low Pressure.  I never could understand why this would require high CFM's.  I do know that they want to be regulated down to about 23 psi, right at the gun, not at the compressor. They do not like 1/4" hoses regulated back at the compressor.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will jump in.

I think you are confusing pressure with volume.  CFM means Cubic Feet per Minute, the volume of air that will flow through the spray gun. The gun is designed to pass the correct volume of air when the air pressure is regulated at their recommended pressure. I have an old style spray gun that sprays best at 50 psig and uses 9 CFM air. Most HVLP guns use half as much pressure, but use more CFM. Less air pressure means that the air/paint stream is traveling slower and is less likely to bounce off the car. More paint goes on the car, less paint and solvent is used for the job. I don't miss using the old LVHP gun.

6/06/2013 11:49 AM  #5

That statements true. And I know hvlp means I volume low pressure. This eastwood concorse should be called a lvlp gun it only uses 5-7 cfm max. Also same thing with the asturo r series it uses about 5-7 cfm. I'm mainly looking for suggestions on gun with lower cfm requirements. Or for anyone using the concorse. Or asturo. http://www.eastwood.com/ew-concours-gun-1-2-and-1-4-tips-plastic-andmetal-cup.html http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Asturo/R%20Series/Asturo%20R%20Series%20Spraygun.html

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.