FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2013 9:16 PM  #1

bogging down under WOT!

Hey guys,

Awesome day out for a drive.  Found a nice stretch of road and after stopping at the stop sign I dropped the c4 that is mated to my '95 5.0 with a holly 4b carb to 1st gear and let'er rip!  Since I have a locker in the back, nice new 225 tires, traction bar, a 2.79 gear, and no idea how much power I have in the motor, I don't expect to have tires screaming, but I figure I should have smooth pick up.

Slow off the line, the car sounded like there was some knocking under the car like the exhaust or something was moving.  Then as the car started to pick up steam as the rpms almost hit redline, the motor started to hesitate.  Kind of like bogging down.

So I'm not worried about the clougging under the car.  I'm almost certain its the exhaust knocking around down there.  Its not one of my better projects.

What I am worried about is the bogging down.  I'm not sure how else to describ it.  But it only happens with I'm WOT.  If I say only kick it with the gas 3/4 of the way down I get a very smooth and fairly quick pick up to redline and enjoy the ride.  Depending on road conditions I can even make the tires scream at times with 3/4.  WOT is where the problem is.  I kind of thought there would be more power at WOT, and it seems like 3/4 is the way to go. 

What are some things I can start looking at to improve this?

I've looked to make sure that when I'm WOT that the butterfly is open all the way, and it is.  I've made sure I have nothing in the way in terms of the gas pedal, etc.

One old guy I spoke to mentioned the Distrubutor.  I'm very dumb when it comes to that.  I have a normal dist with the crane electronic ignition set up underneath it. 

I've done some reading and thought maybe the car isn't getting enough gas?  Should I try some different jets in the carb secondaries? 

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome.  I'm kind of lost on this one.  Fine tuning that I don't know anything about.

Thanks guys.

5/30/2013 9:37 PM  #2

Re: bogging down under WOT!

What carb are you running?  If Holley, vacuum or mechanical secondaries?  Troubleshooting will vary by carb.  If it produces as much power as you indicate at 3/4 throttle, it more that likely is getting gas.  If you have a vacuum advance and have it plugged into the wrong port, you might lose some timing with low vacuum.  Don't start changing things as this does not sound like a jet issue - yet.  Check float levels and make sure needles and seats are functioning properly.  Is this a new carb or has it performed properly in the past?  If the carb is new, what else have you changed?

5/30/2013 9:55 PM  #3

I haven't changed anything and it has performed like this for as long as I remember.  I'm finally ready to deal with it. 

The carb is a Edlebrock 1405 manual choke.  When I got the carb I followed Edlebrock's instructions to tune it and other than WOT I've not had any problems with the carb except for the occassional hick up, like a miss will happen.  I figure WOT and a miss now and then isn't too bad.

So now I'm ready to deal with the WOT issue and resolve it if I can.

My dist does have a vacuum line which does run to the carb per Edlebrocks directions.

Thanks.

5/30/2013 10:10 PM  #4

I'm not sure I understand where the bogging is.  Is it when you punch the accellerator or when you get to redline?  If the former, any number of things - carb, ignition come to mind - if the latter you may be getting valve float which will slow you down immediately while trying to wear out/break your valve train.

A few months back I finally installed a tach.  I had thought that I had a bog at high rpm's.  The tach showed around 5,000rpm, which is redline on stock valve springs.  I was floating the valves, but there were no noises that would make me think of that particular situation.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/30/2013 10:14 PM  #5

I'm going to try to video the situation.  This occurs on take off from a stop. When I gun the gas and floor it.  That might be easier than trying to explain it.

5/30/2013 10:19 PM  #6

If it was a Holley I might be able to help.  I think on the old web site there were some fairly recent posts with Edelbrock setup configurations.  See if you can find it there but if not I'm sure someone can repost it.  How big is your motor and what pump setup, fuel lines, filters, etc., are you running.  If you start at the tank all the way to the carb and ensure that you don't have any limitations on what is feeding the carb, you can focus on the carb.  Not a bad idea to verify your PCV valve and carb flange gasket to ensure that air is not getting in where it's not supposed to.  Sometimes you can cover up these problems with idle mixture settings and won't see problems until you hit WOT.  If possible, you still ought to check float level(s) to make sure that you are getting full fuel metering in the carb.  The rest I will leave to the Edelbrock experts.  I just looked at the owner's manual that I found at Summitracing.com and it is pretty complete on the basics of tuning and troubleshooting.  Good luck!

6/06/2013 1:00 PM  #7

It sounds like you might be lean in the "power" mode.  Try changing the jets/rods to gain a little more fuel in the "power" band - see the chart at

http://members.boardhost.com/MustangSteve/msg/1361807216.html

Unfortunately this POS message board can't link to this directly so just copy and paste the URL into your search window and the relevant post should come up.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

6/06/2013 3:53 PM  #8

John Ha wrote:

Unfortunately this POS message board can't link to this directly so just copy and paste the URL into your search window and the relevant post should come up.

Well, I stand corrected.  The link does not show up in preview but if I try to use the link button the POS fails to work.  Hate this stupid format.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

6/06/2013 9:35 PM  #9

Mousir.......get over that "fear" of tearing into the distrib! That's where the problem is(I think)
1. Buy a timing tape
2. Figure out TRUE TDC using a piston stop.
3. Install tape with TDC on the balancer.
4. Bring engine to TDC and take distrib out.
5.Using info on the net dis-assemble distrib and install light weight springs.
Once you tear it apart a few times it's REAL easy.
You want 36* TOTAL advance@2000RPM.
Using timing light you will see where the timing is now@2000............just crank the distrib around until its pointing to 36* while holding the throttle@ approx. 2000RPM.
I bet problem goes away!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/06/2013 11:23 PM  #10

rmousir wrote:

I haven't changed anything and it has performed like this for as long as I remember.  I'm finally ready to deal with it. 

The carb is a Edlebrock 1405 manual choke.  When I got the carb I followed Edlebrock's instructions to tune it and other than WOT I've not had any problems with the carb except for the occassional hick up, like a miss will happen.  I figure WOT and a miss now and then isn't too bad.

So now I'm ready to deal with the WOT issue and resolve it if I can.

My dist does have a vacuum line which does run to the carb per Edlebrocks directions.

Thanks.

You need to get the Edelbrock kit (p/n 1464) to change out your step up springs. Make sure you have the proper idle mixture set (see page 6) then replace your step up springs per the chart and instructions on page 6 and 8.

Here is the link for the Edelbrock manual  -  http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf 

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.