FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/29/2015 7:52 PM  #1

Can't tell if I have gremlins or not? i.e. lopey idle w/ mild cam

289ci .030 over
Flat tops w/ iron 54cc chamber heads packing 1.90" int. 1.60 exh. plus port work
18*btdc base timing, all in by 2900 rpm. ported/ timed vacuum advance
Motor has under 3k miles

Runs strong and sounds awesome, but I have a sleight lope at idle and an erratic vacuum reading. Up front I have to tell you all I know about the cam is max lift, the scheisty builder I used wouldn't or couldn't tell me and I never degree'd it.

Int.- .472
Exh.- .498

Seems odd that those numbers would correlate with enough overlap to cause a lope since it's a hydraulic non roller and I'm not liking that dancing vacuum needle. I did a compression check and low was 169psi with high at 187psi. I would have liked to check the valve springs but I don't have the tool.

So do you think it's feasible a cam with those lift numbers would lope or should it idle smooth?

6/29/2015 8:48 PM  #2

Re: Can't tell if I have gremlins or not? i.e. lopey idle w/ mild cam

You left out a few details - what carb?  what is your curb idle speed?  

You can never tell until you try so two things I would look at areL  The position of the throttle plate in the transition slot if a Holley.  This can cause the mixture to be uneven at idle and cause vacuum to drift.  Second, you may have too much initial advance.  If the total mechanical is limited to 16 or 18 (which is added to your initial), you may end up with an initial advance that is too high when trying to reach an ideal 34 to 36 total.  For a quick experiement, drop the initial down to 12 or 14 degrees and readjust your idle speed and mixture for this setting.  The car may seem a little weak on the high end but if your lopey idle improves then you may want to make some changes to build in more mechanical advance depending on your distributor.  I have had some cars that when there was too much initial it tended to get a little lopy.  All engines are different and some will idle happily with 18 degrees, others will not - one tune does not fit all.

If you are trying to run a low idle speed, you may have it too low based on the manifold and carb you are using as well as the lift on that cam.  So, as another experiment, increase idle speed by 200 RPM, adjust the mixture, etc., and watch your vaccum.

Wandering vacuum can also occur with a blown power valve on a Holley but usually you will be running way rich if this happens, and if it isn't a Holley (or some variant) you may not have a power valve.

Until you see how the car responds to a change (either better or worse) you are just guessing about the cause.

6/29/2015 10:17 PM  #3

With intake @472 and exhaust @ 498 that's lift numbers for a nitrous engine!  The LSA is mainly the cause of a lopey idle although a lot of duration will cause a lot of over lap which will mak'em lope.
Just lift.......has no effect on idle quality.
I'd look hard at that carb....alway check for a vacuum leak...then look at mixture and curb idle like mentioned above.
The ONLY way to figure out the specs is to.................................pull it out and do some check'in. Sorry
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/29/2015 10:22 PM  #4

Sorry about the ommisions, I was multi-tasking between drafting my question and putting together an pink IKEA bed for an impatient 8 yo girl, guess which one demanded more attention.

The carb is an 1.12 Autolite 4100 with the primaries sleeved down to 1" (Pony carbs spreadbore)
Headlights on and trans in D the idle sits at 700 rpm
I limited the mechanical advance to 18* so total is 36* @ 2900 rpm

I have one of those Moroso PV testers so I can check if mine is blown out, and I am trying to run a lower idle as I have manual disc and it makes waiting at the stop light less fatiging. I'll look again but I thought the throttle plates where fairly well closed, I had wondered about the transition but kind of wrote it off on account of the throttle stop being adjusted low to get the idle speed I wanted- I'll take a second look, if anything theres something to what you're on to and I for sure want to map my fuel curve once I get my O2 sensor and gauge back in.

That's all good stuff GP, I know I have more tuning and tweeking so early in the game but I was concerned I may be looking for ghosts, I'll keep on it and follow up.

6/29/2015 10:30 PM  #5

Thanks 6Sally6, I knew the lift wasn't the culprit but I thought it may provide some insight in to what other grind properties one would expect in that range.

And the carb, you better believe I'm taking a stiff look at that thing. It's a big block carb de-tuned for a small block and that works, but I aim to map my curve and learn what every circuit is doing. 

6/30/2015 6:27 AM  #6

I am trying to run a lower idle as I have manual disc and it makes waiting at the stop light less fatiging.

Seems like another symptom here.....

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

6/30/2015 4:19 PM  #7

Brents65 wrote:

I am trying to run a lower idle as I have manual disc and it makes waiting at the stop light less fatiging.

'Splain what this means^^^^   Manual discs and idle speed???? Lost me.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/30/2015 4:29 PM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

Brents65 wrote:

'Splain what this means^^^^   Manual discs and idle speed???? Lost me.
6s6

It's part of Jon Richards "splainin" .   Sounds like his torque converter is partially locking up causing him to have to wrestle the brakes at stop lights.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

7/01/2015 2:00 PM  #9

OH!!!! Missed that part!  Lumpy cam-itis and AT don't play well together. Lotta guys just..."kick'er in nuteral" when at a stop light....OR get a smaller converter.  IF I had an  AT(and I don't)... I could get useta using N a lot at stoplights! Specially if it has a loud exhaust and then.....when you put it in gear.... it kinda chirps the tires!! That's a "bad fanny street rod there"....I don't keer who ye are!!!

7/01/2015 9:06 PM  #10

I have a T-5z awaiting a Chevy S-10 forward position tailshaft swap, The T-5z would have gone in originally but Modern Driveline wasn't able to help when I reached out to them and I was (and still am) dead set on keeping the bench seat in the Falcon.

Point being idle speed at a stop won't be an issue for long. 

7/03/2015 12:25 PM  #11

If it's possible the exhaust lift of that cam is 496 and not 498 it would be a commonly used older grind I have used in the past. Specs were 214-224 duration @   .050 lift, 472/496 lift, typically LSA of 112, ICL 107.

Edit; in a 289 that cam will have a slight lope, it was a good midrange cam.

Last edited by Rsmach1 (7/03/2015 12:44 PM)

7/03/2015 1:48 PM  #12

Rsmach1 wrote:

If it's possible the exhaust lift of that cam is 496 and not 498 it would be a commonly used older grind I have used in the past. Specs were 214-224 duration @ .050 lift, 472/496 lift, typically LSA of 112, ICL 107.

Edit; in a 289 that cam will have a slight lope, it was a good midrange cam.

Thanks for that. I was pretty uptight about measuring the lift so I'm not sure I'd be off by .002" but it's possible, at the very least it tells me it would not be uncommon for a cam with these lift numbers to have a less than smooth idle.

I'll get that A/F gauge hooked up, re-test the manifold vacuum with a different vacuum gauge, and mess with the idle screws and base timing a bit to see how she reacts.

Downey eh, you shop at Team-C? 

7/03/2015 2:14 PM  #13

It's longer duration that causes the lopey idle, not lift. Think I've seen that place, On Woodruff IIR, but haven't been in there, I usually shop Summit, great prices for the most part, gets delivered to my door, and no tax lol. You in SoCal?

Edit; LSA has an effect on idle also.

Last edited by Rsmach1 (7/03/2015 2:22 PM)

7/03/2015 3:04 PM  #14

Rsmach1 wrote:

It's longer duration that causes the lopey idle, not lift.
Edit; LSA has an effect on idle also.

I understand, was just asking those with experience to speculate-

Jon Richard wrote:

Thanks 6Sally6, I knew the lift wasn't the culprit but I thought it may provide some insight in to what other grind properties one would expect in that range.

I am in SoCal, Just moved to Long Beach from Santa Ana. Team-C is near me and seems one of the last brick and mortar shops around.

7/03/2015 7:39 PM  #15

I had just skimmed thru the posts looking for cam specs and didn't catch that. Saw team-c was on Lakewood also lol. Speed shops are definitely few and far between nowadays, sad considering the history of places like Johnies Broiler in Downey, along with other old hangouts here in SoCal.

Last edited by Rsmach1 (7/03/2015 7:40 PM)

7/04/2015 6:02 PM  #16

Well, I re-adjusted the valves, raised the idle, turned the idle screws out an 1/8" turn, installed the A/F gauge, re-torqued the intake manifold, checked the plugs and gaped them to .040" and all seemed good.

Took it out and was headed to a friends for some BBQ when after I got 'er good and warm decided to get on the wood after which the motor started klacking hard-

Yeah, I'm begining to think I might have been onto something with my earlier suspicions

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.