FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2013 9:09 AM  #1

Replacing rocker panels

Does anyone know of a video that shows how to replace the rocker panels on a 66 convertible.

4/03/2013 9:40 AM  #2

Re: Replacing rocker panels

Inners, outers, or both?

4/03/2013 11:34 AM  #3

Both, and both sides. Very new at this and have no experince.

4/03/2013 1:38 PM  #4

I have some links but am working right now.  I'll post a few this evening - there are a lot out there.  I did inners only but have seen some examples where they did the whole thing.  It would help if you could show some pictures of what you are facing.  Are you planning to do this on a rotisserie or jack stands?  I went in blind and sure wish I knew then what I know now.

4/03/2013 3:28 PM  #5

I will not be able to post any pictures until this weekend. I am going to attempt to do this project off of just jack stands. I can not afford a rotisserie.
I am also replacing the entire floor, frame rails front and back. Torque boxes, front and rear.
The car is rusted bad but it is all mine.

4/03/2013 6:20 PM  #6

Are the outers actually damaged/rusted? They are galvanized and I was surprised how well they looked considering the inners were shot front to back.  On jack stands, you need to keep as much of the car together as possible so it won't fold in half or end up twisted and the outer rockers can help.  Getting around to collecting links for you.  Before you cut anything you need to brace the car front to back and side to side.  They sell braces that bolt into the hinge locations but I built my own that worked and the price was right.  I'm out of town but will take some pics of them this weekend.  If you haven't already, remove seats, carpet and the rest of the interior because you can't work around this stuff.  The engine and transmission should come out as well.  They'll get in your way and also it is less weight to distort things when you start to hack.  There are probably others on this site that have done several of these.  It is not an easy project and unfortunately there is not a good way to do a little at a time.

4/03/2013 6:51 PM  #7

http://68vert.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html  I followed this blog - he did nice work and it was very complete.  A video showing the whole job probably doesn't exist.  Best suggestion for videos is to start searching youtube.  I didn't see a specific rocker replacement but regardless you have a lot of demolition to do to even be ready to do the rockers.  I'll post more through the week.  Where are you located?  Might be good to find a mentor locally.  Various Mustang clubs come in handy and may find someone willing to guide you.

4/03/2013 6:54 PM  #8

This also has some good info.  There seems to be a limit on link length.  Copy and past this - http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/577971-help-installing-convertible-inner-rockers-65-mustang-coupe.html  The link looks good when I enter it but it gets cut off.  Don't forget that Google is your friend.  http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/577971-help-installing-convertible-inner-rockers-65-mustang-coupe.html

Last edited by GPatrick (4/03/2013 7:11 PM)

4/03/2013 7:11 PM  #9

The car has already been stripped down, motor, transmission etc. I live in north Fort Worth. The car was at a shop having the work done but I have run out of money to pay someone so I am going to attempt the project myself. I have never taken on a project this large before but I figure everyone has to start somewhere. I have been researching this project for some time and this particular project I can not find a video about. Funny there are a million on how to replace the cowl just not any on how to replace a complete rocker panel.
Thank you for taking the time to help out.
I know I am going to have a big job on my hands but what the heck.

4/03/2013 8:04 PM  #10

I know I saw a full rocker video but don't have it in my favorites.  You may have seen these vidoes on CJPony.  I bought a bunch of the Canadian replacement panels for mine and they fit so bad that I ended up getting Dynacorn parts.  I read that some of their outer panels may not be perfect like hoods but the front and rear torque boxes and a few other parts dropped in place.  A few dollars more for less re-work or stuff that you have to throw away is worth it.  My first cheapie inner rocker assembly was twisted by 1/2 inch front to back - the whole car twisted when I tried to install it before realizing that it was junk.  The place I bought from replaced it at no cost but life's too short to buy bad parts.

4/03/2013 9:40 PM  #11

And one more...  Extensive repairs - far worse starting point than my car.  http://www.kevinsrodshop.com/floorrepair.html

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.