FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2013 7:42 PM  #1

To those of you running a 3g alternator...

if you put a volt meter on the battery terminals what kind of a reading do you get??  At idle I am getting about 12.5V and then when I give it some gas it jumps to 13.5 and holds there.  I know the alternator is working but I also know older alternators can go as high as 14.5V so I am just wondering what the normal range is for the 3g

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

6/07/2013 7:48 PM  #2

Re: To those of you running a 3g alternator...

I believe mine is around the 14V range. 

6/07/2013 8:14 PM  #3

My 3G does the same thing.  My Battery is always Charged and I've used it for the last 8 years.

Steve69

6/07/2013 8:29 PM  #4

14.3-14.5 at idle...taurus 3g alternator.  I was having the exact problem you mention.. 12.5 at idle..as soon as i hit gas it flew up..my idle speed was way too low..i have it set to 900 ish rpms..my cam likes that and so does my alternator

btw 13.5 sounds too low... id question the alt working properly with that voltage

Last edited by jeremy (6/07/2013 8:34 PM)

6/07/2013 8:39 PM  #5

6/07/2013 9:12 PM  #6

The 3G doesn't put out full voltage (14.5) at idle.......Unless an exciter is wired to it. Otherwise it don't really start genning till bout 2k RPM.
IIRC the green/red will work as the exciter.

Tubo
3G in Miss May and the 73 Vert

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

6/07/2013 9:15 PM  #7

the ford 3g does..done plenty of them

6/07/2013 10:36 PM  #8

I think you're pulley on you're 3g is too large to spin the alt all the way at idle. if its 12.5v at idle its not charging, mine did this too so i found a 2" pully to get it to charge at 600rpm steady 14v unless all my stuff is on then 13.5v

6/08/2013 11:46 AM  #9

You should be putting out about 14v with everything on, especially with 3G alt. This is at 1-4 K rpm
And 14.2 is recommended voltage, with fully charged batt. at RPM
Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (6/08/2013 11:48 AM)

6/08/2013 10:17 PM  #10

I jumped it up to 3.5K and I still never got more than 13.5V in fact the voltage didn't change with the RPMs other than the initial jump.  I am sure it will work fine I just wish I was getting a little more juice out of it.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

6/09/2013 6:34 AM  #11

Have you verified the accuracy of your voltmeter?

6/09/2013 7:40 AM  #12

Daze if turn everything on lights, radio ect. load up the alternator, if it holds at 13.5 volts I don't think you have a problem. Maybe change pulley size to help at lower RPM's. If you think there is still a problem you could change the internal regulator. If all works well the lower charging voltage may actually be easier on the system. Battery may last longer.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

6/09/2013 3:29 PM  #13

The volt meter is good, no issues there.  The voltage does drop when things are turned on...  I guess I need to test it again, but before I do I need to make sure the battery is fully charged.  This car has been sitting for about a year.

6/10/2013 5:07 PM  #14

Daze wrote:

The volt meter is good, no issues there.  The voltage does drop when things are turned on...  I guess I need to test it again, but before I do I need to make sure the battery is fully charged.  This car has been sitting for about a year.

Daze, I'm about to do the 2g to 3g Alt upgrade on my fox, and have been reading that the 3G alt needs a 4 gauge ground wire from the block to the chassis ground where the battery pigtail connects.  Hows the condition of your battery cables?  Do yiou have a 4 gauge pos wire thru a mega fuse to the battery?

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

6/10/2013 6:24 PM  #15

paperformance.com sells some really nice 4 gauge fused wires at a good price

6/10/2013 8:06 PM  #16

Daze wrote:

if you put a volt meter on the battery terminals what kind of a reading do you get??  At idle I am getting about 12.5V and then when I give it some gas it jumps to 13.5 and holds there.  I know the alternator is working but I also know older alternators can go as high as 14.5V so I am just wondering what the normal range is for the 3g

Daze,  I'm starting to think your alternator is too small. I put a 3G on my 66 Mustang and it puts out 14.5 VDC from idle on up. I bought a new in the box 135 amp alternator for a 93 Taurus. I bought the connectors from Ron Francis. His connectors take the green wire with red stripe from the stock voltage regulator for exitation. The alternator bolted up with the stock mounts and the stock belts. If you are not measuring 14+ volts, then 1) your battery is shot, or 2) your alternator is too small, or 3) you have a tremendous electrical load somewhere in the system.

6/10/2013 9:47 PM  #17

Hornman wrote:

Daze wrote:

Daze,  I'm starting to think your alternator is too small. I put a 3G on my 66 Mustang and it puts out 14.5 VDC from idle on up. I bought a new in the box 135 amp alternator for a 93 Taurus. I bought the connectors from Ron Francis. His connectors take the green wire with red stripe from the stock voltage regulator for exitation. The alternator bolted up with the stock mounts and the stock belts. If you are not measuring 14+ volts, then 1) your battery is shot, or 2) your alternator is too small, or 3) you have a tremendous electrical load somewhere in the system.

I may be mistaken, but I thought there are two important electrical aspects of alternators:  AMPS and VOLTS.  the focus has seemed to be on the volts, but the 3g is supposed to put out more AMPS at idle and mort total amps overall than the OE 2g or 1g alternators.  I'm really not sure if a 3G puts out higher volts than a 2G or not.  Batteries are 12v and that hasn't changed over the years.  But the electrical amperage demands placed on a vehicle at idle and overall have increased with the number of accessories over the years. 

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

6/11/2013 4:29 AM  #18

14.5v at idle, w/ an electric fan set on kill and all the lights on!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.