FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2013 3:27 PM  #1

13.2" Front Discs on my 66 Coupe

Installed with Steve's brackets. Question - Should I be concerned about needing splash/dust shields?

Thanks, 

Bob

6/11/2013 4:36 AM  #2

Re: 13.2" Front Discs on my 66 Coupe

no, not important.  

6/11/2013 8:51 AM  #3

Thank you. I wasn't sure, and we somehow misplaced the instructions from Steve. Install of the brackets was straightforward but I didn't know if I should be concerned about getting the shields. 

Thanks for the help, 

Bob

6/11/2013 8:24 PM  #4

Most big brake kits out there do not use the shields.  Ford even did away with them on the Focus !  I have driven my car across the USA a couple of times without any, and that includes driving through heavy rainstorms and the like.  The only downside to no shields is if you over-grease the ball joint and it blows grease out.  Just do your maintenance diligently and you won't have any problems. 

If you want shields, and want to go through the effort to modify them and the brackets so they can be bolted on, I have a pile of brand new ones and I would gladly offer you a free pair for the price of shipping.

One good thing about no shields is it makes pad and rotor inspections much easier.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/11/2013 8:28 PM  #5

Thanks for the help. No shields it is.

Steve -nice product. Great service and assistance. Much obliged. 

Bob

6/12/2013 11:40 AM  #6

I thought the MS brakets for the 2004 Mustang discs were 12" rotors?   Are the 13.2" Cobra Rotors and Brakes?

6/12/2013 1:29 PM  #7

Steve69 wrote:

I thought the MS brakets for the 2004 Mustang discs were 12" rotors?   Are the 13.2" Cobra Rotors and Brakes?

steve69, the 2005-2010 GT brakes were 12.5".  The 2011 and newer GT brakes are 13.2 and fit the same brackets.

The 94-04 COBRA rotors were 13".

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/12/2013 2:23 PM  #8

Thanks MS for the info!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.