FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2015 9:56 AM  #1

8.8 swap into 67 cpe

I've searched many sites for the answer to my question and haven't found a difinitive answer.  I have a 67 cpe, 289, and soon to be T5z.  I'm wanting to swap to an explorer 8.8.  I know they are nearly the same width, within 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  Also know the 8.8 is offset.  Do I have to shorten oneside of the rearend?  And how do I get it centered, or does that even matter?  Thanks in advance for your response, and I'm glad to have found this site, it's a wealth of information!

8/20/2015 10:19 AM  #2

Re: 8.8 swap into 67 cpe

If you want the center section of the axle centered in the car you'll have to shorten it and adjust the backspacing on the wheels accordingly. If you're not worried about it, it's a straight swap from everyting I've read. A few people have said there is some "percussion engineering" required on the passenger side floor pan for the driveshaft.
86-93 Mustang 8.8 is the same width as a 67-70 8" with no offset to the center section but you need Ranger 5 lug axles and is 28 spline. 94-98 Mustang 8.8 are the same width as well but with 1/2" longer axles (bakcspacing adjustments again..) and still 28 spline. I shortened a 98 Exploder 8.8 by 3.75" on the drivers side and used two passenger axles for my 66 coupe and wound up with a rear 3/4" narrower overall (wheel mount surface to surface) than the 8" that was in there. Helped me put the 255/45/17's in there without rolling the fenders.

8/20/2015 11:08 AM  #3

tvolsr1 wrote:

I've searched many sites for the answer to my question and haven't found a difinitive answer.  I have a 67 cpe, 289, and soon to be T5z.  I'm wanting to swap to an explorer 8.8.  I know they are nearly the same width, within 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  Also know the 8.8 is offset.  Do I have to shorten oneside of the rearend?  And how do I get it centered, or does that even matter?  Thanks in advance for your response, and I'm glad to have found this site, it's a wealth of information!

Welcome to FYI Ford!  If you have not yet found the search box, it will serve you well.  Enter 8.8 explorer in the search box, and you will find all you need.  I shortened one to the 65/66 width, by shortening one side, and centering the center section.  I like the explorer 8.8 cuz it has the disc brakes, vs the fox mustang.  Explorer also has 31 spline axles.  I do know some folks have put the explorer 8.8 in the 67/68 cars without narrowing, as Tweet66 mentions, but it does give some angle offset, that may cause some vibration issues.  To shorten, I removed about 3 inches from the long side, about 8 inches from the end of the long tube, and welded it back up.  The seam was under the spring perch.  I got an extra explorer short axle from the JY when I got the 8.8, and used it on the shortened side.

8/20/2015 3:29 PM  #4

Do a search on this forum for that topic.
Bullet Bob did it and provided pics and info that will answer your questions.

8/20/2015 5:32 PM  #5

josh-kebob wrote:

Do a search on this forum for that topic.
Bullet Bob did it and provided pics and info that will answer your questions.

That's true...I did, butt (TS&T) that was on a 66 where you just do like Tim says and cut the left axle tube 2.875" and round up a second right side axle (Thanks Josh).  Even after that the pinion will be about 1/2" or so to the right which made me spend a day doing a re-design on my EFI fuel line to be sure there was plenty 'o clearance.

As for the 67, I'm not sure what the stock width is but I know it's wider than a 66.  So, to use the Explorer axle (and get the disc brakes) you may have to cut is an have a custom left axle made.  Or....use the late Mustang drum brake axle (which I'm told will drop in) and scrounge up a set of Explorer or Cobra or GT rear brakes.  I'm betting they will  be a bolt-on to the 8.8. 

Good luck, and don't forget to take the pinion angle into account when you weld on the new spring saddles.  And, you'll probably be working with the axle upsidedown at that point so don't get the pinion angle confused....check/measure at least twice.   Also, after doing it like TimC did and cutting it under where the spring saddle goes I have decided that if I ever do another I'll cut it about 3" out from the center section, shorten the long piece of tube and weld it back together.  Then dress the weld with a flap wheel so it won't be too ugly.  This will allow much easier straightening of the tubes, IMO.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/20/2015 6:33 PM  #6

I did the explorer 8.8 swap on the wife's '68 coupe (same size as original axle) and my '63 fairlane (2.87" narrower), both turned out great.

On the '68, I did it this way (see #4): http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21538
but would have tried this way if I had found first: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/625908-dyi-8-8-build.html

On my fairlane i just shortened the long side and used a short axle same as the 65/66s.

Last edited by ponch0v (8/20/2015 6:38 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.