FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2013 12:30 PM  #1

1968 Mustang Factory Air

Hi, folks. I have a '68 Mustang that still has the original A.C in it. The last couple years, it has begun cooling too good, as in 30 degree vent temperatures good. This makes the evaporator frost up to the point air no longer passes thru it. The charge is good and I figure the anti-frost temperature control is bad. I'm confused, as the replacement shows a 'stem' that makes it adjustable. My original doesn't have that. Where would this mount so that adjuster is useful? Or is it for an add-on unit?

6/11/2013 12:56 PM  #2

Re: 1968 Mustang Factory Air

The stem or tube needs to be inserted into the evaporator coil to work the best.  I am not sure where the factory position was on the 68

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/11/2013 3:34 PM  #3

MustangSteve wrote:

The stem or tube needs to be inserted into the evaporator coil to work the best.  I am not sure where the factory position was on the 68

Steve, this looks like the stem on a radio. It's on the other side from the capillary tube. My old one only has the capillary tube that iserts into the evaporator from the front of the case (one of the easier things to do.)

6/11/2013 7:34 PM  #4

Chris, 2 things will cause your evap to frost. Insufficient air flow across the coil (dirty coil,failed or failing evap fan motor) or insufficient flow of refrigerant thru the evap coil (low charge or defective controll device). Assuming the coil is fed thru an expansion valve the valve could be defective or blocked. With 30f across the coil (assuming thats berore it frosts) I would say your txv needs replacing or your charge is low . How do you know for sure the charge is good?

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

6/11/2013 8:18 PM  #5

Capillary tube is the name of that thing that I just couldn't remember.  On the 66 it is hooked up to the TEMP switch on the under dash unit. It just cycles off the compressor if it reaches a preset temperature.  That keeps the coil from freezing.

I would not think you have low freon because of the temperatures you are achieving, but low freon is one thing that can cause a evaporator to freeze up.

SOMEBODY here has one like yours and can tell where it goes.  Do you have a picture?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/12/2013 6:33 AM  #6

Hope the picture works--This is what RockAuto says fits; couldn't find one at NPD. The electric hookup is on the backside.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.