FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/11/2015 3:43 PM  #1

Anyone have the pattern for the shock tower reinforcement plate?

The reinforcement plate that many put under the upper control arm that triangulates the frame rail and shock tower?  I cant even find a vendor for this metal piece anymore.  67-70 seems to be available.   

The piece of steel I bought to do this with doesnt seem to be  wide enough.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

9/11/2015 3:59 PM  #2

Re: Anyone have the pattern for the shock tower reinforcement plate?

What year do you need it for?  You say 67 to 70 is available so that leads me to think that you need somethigng other than 67 to 70.  I made my own for my 66 and have the foam board pieces that I can trace for you.  All of the cars are a little different so you would need to trim to fit.  You would need two pieces of steel about 11 X 5-1/2.  Send me a message with your email address and I'll send you some pictures to make sure we're talking about the same thing.  

9/11/2015 4:02 PM  #3

yeah, I am wanting them for 65/66.   Sending you a pm.   Thank you.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

9/11/2015 4:05 PM  #4

Is this what you are looking for except for a Mustang?  http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/towerbrace.html

9/11/2015 4:08 PM  #5

Tbats it exactly.   There used to be a pricey pro motorsports 7 piece kit Not that I intend to use any other pieces.  I do not think any vendor makes them.   Probably be a money maker/time saver if someone did.    Seems a very logical, worthy mod to me.  

9/11/2015 4:37 PM  #6

I'll get you pics tonight and make a tracing that I will send to you snail mail.  I welded up some of the seams before I installed the plates.  How thick is your steel?

9/11/2015 6:46 PM  #7

We have a shock tower kit and the wheel side brace. Pro Motorsports has had one for years. I don't believe they sell the wheel side brace separate.

9/11/2015 6:54 PM  #8

I actually looked on your website and could only find the brackets for 67/68.  Do you also carry them for the earlier models?  Or do those fit with some trimming?  

9/11/2015 8:11 PM  #9

Several pictures should be on their way via email.  The first pic below is the driver's side and the second is the passenger's side.  The holes are optional but note the diagonal bend.  The templates are different for each side - at least on my car they were different enough that I couldn't make a mirror image of one side.  I had to trim a little to fit.  Unless they are fully welded there is a chance that water spray can get inside so I just made it easier for water to get in but also to evaporate back out.  I'll get it good and sealed when I ever progress to primer.  I didn't know Opentracker had them so that's another option for you and their products are top notch.

9/12/2015 8:48 AM  #10

GregB, in stiffening up the front structure of your Mustang, do not overlook welding the inner shock tower flange to the main shock tower.  Check to see there are no cracks and that the flange and main tower are closely mated.  If not closely mated, force them back into position before welding.
Enjoy

9/12/2015 8:57 AM  #11

GregB, I just found the article that describes the shock tower welding, and other things to stiffen up the Mustang.  http://www.sancospecialties.com/mustang.HTM

9/12/2015 9:00 AM  #12

Good point, Pablo.  I had my strut tower brace and monte carlo bar in position when welding and I also welded the flange to main tower before I put the stiffening plates in.  If everything is tight, you can put the plates in first.  I was able to do that since my car is still up on the rotisserie and there is no motor in the way.

9/15/2015 2:38 PM  #13

I'm at a point in the upgrading of my front suspension that I could install these, but I'd have to grind off the new paint for the weld. Is this something that is a must? I've not done much welding at all and if I could do without this, it wouldnt slow my progress.

9/15/2015 3:14 PM  #14

My car has not been painted yet and it was easy to install them since it is on the rotisserie.  From what I have read, it can't fix a weak shock tower or frame but it can make a good one a little stiffer.  For racing it will probably help but for street driving I don't know that you'd miss it.  A project like this deflects my attention from body work and since I don't like body work I have done a number of similar mods that in the long run will probably not be necessary!  You will end up needing to remove paint from the engine-side of the shock tower as well and if the drivetrain is already in, you'd have a hard time working around it.

5/29/2019 12:08 PM  #15

I realize this thread is really old, so I thought I would check and see if anyone knows of a template online that I can use to make a shock tower brace like this.  I think we can make one ourselves, but thougt I would check first to see if there is one available.
Q

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.