FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2013 6:11 AM  #1

ancient old wheel debate 17x7 or 17x8 wheels?

I know this beaten to death, but wanted to get a concensus or tips on which would be best. I am debating between the American racing ar605, torque thrust m either in 7" wide or 8" wide.   It is going to take awhile for me to save up the other half for these wheels, but getting closer. My car is a 67 cougar lowered with negative wedge kit, eibach progressive springs, roller perches, etc. G.w. strut rods,  Granada brakes, but will switch to maverick spindles when I put the cobra brakes on, so the car sits low. Shops around here are at least $200 More, so I will buy mail order, so fitment is critical. I am leaning towards the 7" wheels all the way around, but need to know what is the largest size tire you can safely fit, so that I know what options are if there are tire fitment problems. Thanks for any help, tips and experiences everyone can provide.

4/04/2013 6:46 AM  #2

Re: ancient old wheel debate 17x7 or 17x8 wheels?

Your 67 Cougar will be very similar to my 68 Mustang, and I have MS's 08-10 brakes on it and it is lowered 1.5  inches. I have two thoughts:

First, it is all about getting the right back spacing, I have 17x8's up front and 17x9.5's in the rear, 245's front and 275's rear. My front backspacing is 4.75", my rear is different due to a narrowed 8.8 swap.

Second, do lots of measuring, and remember these cars are different from one to the next, even the same year and model, when you start trying to use every inch there is,an 1/8" can make a big difference. I have learned the hard way, that a tire that NEVER rubs and is one or two sizes smaller is MUCH better than one that only rubs once, but is bigger. Every time i make a hard left turn up a hill (like my drive way) my right front tire rubs, and one size smaller tire would have fixed that, or a 7" wide wheel.

Good luck, take your time, take lots of measurements (remember to take them with the suspension compressed, NOT hangging down), it will pay off in the end. I am going through the same process for my 73 Mach 1.

4/04/2013 7:17 AM  #3

Re: ancient old wheel debate 17x7 or 17x8 wheels?

Thanks my car has rubbed on hard left turns on the pass wheel with 15" wheels for years. I am Leaning toward the 17x7 which have a 4" backspacing.  I will try to take measurements, as I don't want anything to rub and retain the stock SS wheel lip mouldings, while fitting a decent sized tire that looks and performs well.  Even though I don't drive this much, I would like to have same size wheels and tires for rotation, etc.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.