FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2013 8:08 PM  #1

Lets talk paint.....

So, the back story that some of you may know.....I built this car and sold it 12 years ago.
The one I'm building now will be the same color, 2000 Chrysler PH2 Candy Apple Red, with the same whel tire combo, and Palomino interior.
I have side scoops and a shelby hood on the new car, and can't decide on a stripe color for the Shelby style stripes. Hertz Gold, Dark Charcoal, Black, etc....
Thoughts, opinions?

6/10/2013 8:10 PM  #2

Re: Lets talk paint.....

Another shot

6/10/2013 8:16 PM  #3

keep it the same as shown in the pics...........

6/10/2013 8:42 PM  #4

Yep, that gold one looks pretty good.  If changed, a champagne color might be good.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/10/2013 8:44 PM  #5

I have to go with ol' yeller bird on this one, go with the same as your other one!!

6/10/2013 9:33 PM  #6

and Darren, don't sell this one............

6/11/2013 2:26 PM  #7

I hear ya.
Thought I was doing good selling the car for enough to pay cash for a 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer..... The Mustang is still worth 28k, I sold the Expedition last year for 4500.....
BUT, it served us well, shuttling the kids to soccer games and visiting my Dad during his last months in Ky., all without having a car payment.
All that's in the past.....
I'm going to pick up a drivers headlight bucket tonight, the last part I need to have the body complete.
Spent last night looking at paint, and I'm thinking the 07 Shelby GT-H Gold will be my stripe color.
Give me a few weeks, and we should have color on this thing....

6/11/2013 3:03 PM  #8

Just my two cents worth...  If you are going with the GT350 theme, don't put the 289 badges on the fenders.  That is a dead give-away that it is not a GT350.  I am OK with cloning a car, if you actually clone the WHOLE car.  Ditto with the fog lights, grille corral and exhaust through the valance.  Like I said.  Just my opinion, and it is YOUR car.

6/11/2013 3:40 PM  #9

I agree, to a point.
I'm not really trying to clone a GT 350 , just building a car with the elements I like.
I'm strugglingwith  what to put in the rocker stripes, because I HATE when people ask if its real, and then shrug like its worthless when you tell them its a clone.
IF I do the GT 350, in the rocker stripes, it will be in the font used on the Ford GT, which I used on the 65 convertible I painted.
I may do rocker stripes with nothing in them. Lemans stripes without rocker stripes looks awkward in my mind.
As an aside, when I built the car pictured, it had NO Ford or Mustang emblems anywhere, ala Bullitt Mustangs.
The guy I sold it to added the FORD on the hood, and the 289 emblems with Hipo badges, because it was what HE liked.
Edit: He added the side scoops and rocker stripes too, it was very much a subtle car when I had it.
Edit2: He took the lowering blocks off the rear axle, and swapped out the Turbo mufflers for glasspacks too..... I think it sits waaay too high.

Last edited by darren (6/11/2013 3:44 PM)

6/11/2013 3:49 PM  #10

I fully agree you should do it how YOU want it, but as you mentioned... When people ask if real or not...   I think it would look great as a full blown clone.  Then your answer would be... CAN YOU TELL ME IF IT IS REAL OR NOT?  That generally takes the steam out of them, but it has to be done with all the details correct for the clone.  Then they can look it over and decide for themselves.

6/11/2013 4:09 PM  #11

A very good point, but I'm too far along the course I've taken.
95% of the people at a gas station couldn't tell me if it is a clone or not, however its built.
If I said its real, they'd probably tell me how they had one just like it back in the day, and their "wifes uncles brother on his left side has an original one sitting in a barn and won't sell it for ANY price.....perfect condition, he starts it a couple times a year, but it just sits....(shakes head) its a shame really. But yours is ALMOST as nice as his, and at least you drive yours."

We've all heard from THOSE types.

Now, how do I do the rocker stripes to avoid all that? Solid on the front fender?

6/11/2013 6:23 PM  #12

darren wrote:

Now, how do I do the rocker stripes to avoid all that? Solid on the front fender?

How about simply M-U-S-T-A-N-G in GT 350 style lettering?

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

6/12/2013 9:57 AM  #13

I say an off white or lite cream

It's hard to type "funny"

6/12/2013 10:47 AM  #14

Derek wrote:

I say an off white or lite cream

+1 for off white

6/12/2013 4:57 PM  #15

I HATE when people ask if its real, and then shrug like its worthless when you tell them its a clone.

I'm not that bad butt...I do look at one different when I ask..."did you put it together,yourself" and their answer is .."no....I bought it like this".
To me.......that knocks it down a few notchs in the "admireablility factor".
  Mine SHORE ain't perfect butt....I did most all my stuff to it!
Know what I mean?!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/12/2013 8:14 PM  #16

Darren my buddy has a 2004 anni edition Mustang in crimson red with Arizona sand stripes, looks awesome.
Google that year and color to check it out, you may agree with me.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/12/2013 9:35 PM  #17

That is a very nice combo, Rudi.

6/13/2013 7:00 AM  #18

6sally6 wrote:

I HATE when people ask if its real, and then shrug like its worthless when you tell them its a clone.

I'm not that bad butt...I do look at one different when I ask..."did you put it together,yourself" and their answer is .."no....I bought it like this".
To me.......that knocks it down a few notchs in the "admireablility factor".
  Mine SHORE ain't perfect butt....I did most all my stuff to it!
Know what I mean?!
6sally6

+1     I know exactly what u mean.  Although I don't begrudge a guy who just wants to ride and buys a nice one. Come to think of it maybe I should have bought 2 cars, one nice one to drive and then the one I've got to build myself.

I like the color in the pics. I would stay with that, it looks very nice.

Last edited by MAW (6/13/2013 8:10 AM)

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

6/13/2013 7:39 AM  #19

My car must have been very popular back in the 60's!
You would not believe how many people come up to me at car shows and tell me they had one just like it. ;)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.