FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2015 6:44 PM  #1

Operation Save a 66 Convertible

This is the Convertible that Corky helped Anna and I purchase from a work friend of his. This is going to be a long and thourough rebuild to do this right. Having just come out of the 65 Fastback full Restomod I have a good idea on time and money to take on a project this big.

Day one. Anna and I heading out from Texas towards North East Alabama.

10/19/2015 6:50 PM  #2

Re: Operation Save a 66 Convertible

Day 2 had us finally arriving at the Farm and working with Enos to get the car off of his trailer and onto ours. Luckily he had loaded the car backwards onto his trailer.
Now when you see this picture, you THINK that his trailer is connected to his tractor. Wrong wrong wrong. This became very obvious when we back our trailer up to his and tried to simply push the car across the trailers onto our. Once the Mustang reached the mid point, his tongue shot up and the back end dug into the dirt. WHAMMO. Mustang nose dived into the back of our brand new trailer and put a dent into it. No damage happened to the Mustang. .
Come-A-Long back onto the half way point then put my ramps from ours to his. Much better.
When you buy something from an old country boy, make sure you plan on the three or four hours it takes for him to talk your ear off. I finally had to be rude and tell him that we needed to get headed back to Texas.

10/19/2015 6:54 PM  #3

The saying goes. "If Momma ain't happy, then nobody is happy" This Mustang Selfie picture shows that Momma was happy. I think the Mustang was smiling too.

10/19/2015 6:58 PM  #4

This shows how packed the car was with parts and stuff. I did clear out the trunk, but the interior has to wait until I can spend a few hours slowly digging stuff out.

10/19/2015 7:01 PM  #5

Engine Bay as we found it. Plus the Mystery tag. I put all of these numbers into a Mustang Tag decoder website and was able to get the same info as the Door tag. So with that I was able to order a new Door tag and rivets.

10/19/2015 7:12 PM  #6

So some main issues I have found in the little time I spent looking at this full restore.
Floor pan is shot. Front to back and both sides. Both rear subframes at the rear leaf sring attachment points are shot. Dynacorn has a full front to back one piece system that I am going to install. A little pricey but this will solve all the issues with the bottom rust.

Some rust in the engine bay area was already fixed. the parts to fix the rest were found inside the car ready to be installed.

Transmission is missing. Who cares, I was going with an AOD upgrade anyway.

Engine is in unknown condition. I smell a Preformance Ford Crate 302 solving this problem.

Brakes will get the Mustang Steve brake fix once he and I sort out the choices we have.

With the exception of the rear tail light section, no other body panels had issues. No Bondo was found any where else. Although I haven't peeked inside the doors. No paint bubling showed rust issues.

Interior is a complete mess.

Top is a complete mess.

Wheels will need changing to accomodate better brakes.

All this equals to a long road of fun.

10/21/2015 10:13 PM  #7

Ain't it Nice when Ya can help a couple of Buddies out!!
And Anna has such a nice smile too.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

11/12/2015 8:27 PM  #8

Today I loaded up the Convertible and headed off to a far Northeast town to meet up with the Sheriff's auto theft inspection team. The officer took my paperwork and the Bill of Sale then looked at the right fender for both VIN markings. His computer search showed no stolen hits on the VIN. He didn't think we could get a Title until the car was complete enough to drive.
This afternoon I ordered the complete floor from http://www.thoroughbredgt.com/

11/19/2015 8:10 PM  #9

Deconstruction of the top begins. First step is to measure the bow to bow distances so when my neighbor puts a new one on he knows the exact measurements.

11/19/2015 8:14 PM  #10

Taking a look at the pump and the cylinders for raising and lowering the roof, they don't look that bad. The lines look pretty roached out though.
Does anyone know a method to test them out on a bench?

11/22/2015 10:09 PM  #11

Mochaman, in Texas you can get a title but you cannot get registration until the car passes state inspection.

Transfer the title at your county tax office and tell them TITLE ONLY when you apply for it.  No need to pay for plates until you need them.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/23/2015 12:39 PM  #12

Mochaman wrote:

Taking a look at the pump and the cylinders for raising and lowering the roof, they don't look that bad. The lines look pretty roached out though.
Does anyone know a method to test them out on a bench?

Mochaman, In the picture, they look clear or transparent, are they? 

Most things get tested to a percentage above the normal working range. Once you know the rating of the pump, you could test with water pressure or air pressure. And then they burst in testing , or pass and then burst in the car .

At the age of 50, are they really worth testing? Other than cost savings, is there a reason you would want to keep them?

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/24/2015 7:19 AM  #13

I didn't mean to test the lines, I wanted to test the pump and the cylinders. Those lines are not staying, I couldn't do all this work then throw some iffy lines back in.

11/24/2015 1:43 PM  #14

My bad on the read. You might as well test it in the car now. Disconnect the rams from the top and hit the switch. Best case it moves as it should. Worst case, the pump won’t work or the seals on the pistons leak. Splice a "T" into the old lines for a pressure gauge.A Google search shows 300-325 psi operating pressure from a new pump at CJ Pony Parts. The new lines have a 250 working pressure printed on the tubing.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

12/09/2015 10:57 PM  #15

Guys at Thoroughbredgt.com who are making the complete floor sent me some pictures and said they could have it shipped out by next week.

=10.0ptI need to step up me game to get the car ready to receive this.

Last edited by Mochaman (12/09/2015 10:59 PM)

12/10/2015 8:15 AM  #16

Mochaman wrote:

This is the Convertible that Corky helped Anna and I purchase from a work friend of his. This is going to be a long and thourough rebuild to do this right. Having just come out of the 65 Fastback full Restomod I have a good idea on time and money to take on a project this big.

Day one. Anna and I heading out from Texas towards North East Alabama.

Nice Sport-Trac

We are the people our parents warned us about.  Jimmy Buffett.

12/10/2015 11:07 PM  #17

Thanks. We got it new in 2004 and have driven several sets of tires off of it. Good running truck for its size.

12/19/2015 12:37 PM  #18

Finally got the engine out. This is needed to get the car turned around in the shop so the rear faces out. Should make the full floor pan assembly easier to install that way. Now that the car front is lighted I can get it on Jack stands then pull everything else suspension related to start cutting out the metal cancer areas.

3/29/2017 9:09 PM  #19

3/29/2017 9:10 PM  #20

3/30/2017 9:38 AM  #21

Keep up the good work.  Looks like a lot of fun and challenging at the same time.  Brings back memories.  Photo documentary is awesome.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

4/21/2017 8:14 PM  #22

Nice job Mochaman, keep it going.

3/12/2018 8:39 PM  #23

Mochaman
Have you stopped working on the convertible
Looking for updates
Cman66

3/12/2018 8:59 PM  #24

cman66 all I have are excuses and no results. I have been working aw
ay from home for almost a year now. My job has me on high travel for a while to go I believe. I may have a new position opening up that I will apply to that means no travel. 
​I have done some work on it, but nothing really worth sharing. I have started on cutting out the floorpan. But too much life things are slowing it all down. 
​Thanks for checking up. I am hoping to touch it when I get back from Germany in mid April. Right now I am in San Antonio. I did get to see Mustang Steve, his lovely bride and their beautiful house. They were only about an hour north of my hotel. 

3/13/2018 6:35 PM  #25

Hey Mocha I know about life getting in the way.
Work on my car has slowed to a trickle.
Now with Daylight Saving Time extending the days I'm gonna
try to rev up the output and get something done.
Keep on slinging it on the wall something gonna stick.
 Cman66

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.