FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2015 2:28 PM  #1

Horn Fuse???? 1969 Mustang

I know this may come across as Stupid or ridiculous------But which Fuse is the bloody one for the HORNS??? 
Im kind of embarrassed, but theyre not labled and Even Google didnt help.  Nothing at all says "this one is the horn fuse" and I dont feel like fighting to get those out all on a crap shoot.

Help?

10/20/2015 4:07 PM  #2

Re: Horn Fuse???? 1969 Mustang

Does not appear to be a horn fuse.  Possibly has its own circuit breaker or part of headlight switch breaker ????

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/20/2015 5:26 PM  #3

Power to the horns comes from the headlight switch, so it could be protected by the the HLS circuit breaker.

10/20/2015 8:16 PM  #4

Hornman wrote:

Power to the horns comes from the headlight switch, so it could be protected by the the HLS circuit breaker.

It is on the 66 and from the diagram, it looks the same on the 69.  One circuit breaker protects everything out of the headlight switch. 

Apparently the horn no blowey?  If the lights work it ain't the CB unless it's tripping when you hit the horn.  You could leave the lights on and if they go out for a few seconds when you hit the horn you will at least know what's protecting the horn circuit.  If the horns don't blow but don't trip the CB it's most likely the switch in the steering wheel hub or the connector from the steering column or the firewall connector.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (10/20/2015 8:21 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/20/2015 8:26 PM  #5

Horn issues usually reside in the rimblow switch. It's been awhile (30+ years) but I believe if you pull your center pad off you can remove the rimblow switch wires and test it for continuity.

Last edited by Rsmach1 (10/20/2015 8:56 PM)

10/21/2015 6:52 AM  #6

In my 70 there is a Fuse for the Horn. I have replaced it several times while doing some Steering Wheel work. I'll get you a pick when I get home.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

10/21/2015 5:28 PM  #7

WoW Excellent Everyone, thank you!  Im Baffled!!!!  I took off the headlight switch, tried a spare, nothing....Hadlights and interior lights are working perfectly.....No power going to the harness under the switch. 

I went to honk and on the momment it went to honk, it crapped out and hasnt come back since....

10/21/2015 8:04 PM  #8

Does the horn work? Have you tried a jumper from the battery to the horn? If the horn does not work, it may have shorted and burned a wire.

10/22/2015 8:29 AM  #9

On my 65 I mounted horn relay from older Ford PU on inner fender and wired up using one of the spring loaded pins under steering wheel! Wow, horn MUCH louder!!! And dont have to worry bout short under steering wheel. Had to make horn button go to ground to trip horn relay
Howard

10/22/2015 2:33 PM  #10

Hey yes the horns do work.  I tested them with a separate source.
Just now became aware that the interior lights nearely go off when the center horn switch makes contact.

Baffling.  Oh, and I think it tripped my cluster lights, but can't be certain on that

10/22/2015 6:15 PM  #11

It's looking more and more like there is a problem with the light switch and/or the wiring coming from the switch. Sounds like it's time to pull the gauge cluster so you can visually and physically inspect the wiring connecter coming out of the switch. Look for burned wires, broken insulation. Do the wiggle test on all the wires to see if the operation of anything changes with the wiggle. Use an insulated probe (wooden stick) so you don't get shocked. Hope real hard the problem is in the switch. The switch is a lot easier to replace than the connector on the switch.

10/22/2015 7:27 PM  #12

OK sounds good.  Thanks everyone!

But just so everyone knows, I have the aftermarket wood grain with Center chrome mustang cymbol that presses the 2 copper plates together making contact.  It's a crappy horn contact but that's how it came.   

It has been a very long time since I've had all this apart, does the horn circuit run through that flatter harness that hugs the column?

10/23/2015 7:10 AM  #13

If the lights are dimming when pushing on the horn, your horn switch or wires may be going to ground. May just be a partial ground not enough to trip the circuit breaker in the light switch? You could try holding on the horn for a few seconds and see if the circuit breaker trips and lights go all the way out. Don't hold too long, you don't want to let the smoke out of the wires.
     Now my 69 wiring diagram shows a yellow wire going from the head light switch to the steering wheel connector then to the horn button. I don't think this is a problem or your lights would be dim all the time. The problem sounds to be in the horn switch its self, or the wire leading from the switch to the horn. Problem is the wiring diagram shows no horn. It does show, if I remember correctly, a 482 wire leaving the horn switch. (Not at home right now) The 68 wiring diagram shows the 482 as a blue/yellow wire, so we'll go with that.
      To do quick easy test on the wire from the switch to the horn with an ohm meter, unplug the wire at horn. Do not push on the horn while measuring ohms at this time. Measure resistance from the wire to ground. The reading should be infinite. If you’re reading a few hundred ohms or less to ground, you have a short to ground somewhere. You can also take a voltage reading here, have someone depress the horn button should have 12 volts. If no short to ground is found you can check the horn switch. Remove positive, disconnect the yellow wire from the light switch or maybe remove the positive battery terminal. Have someone push the horn button and measure ohms at the horn wire as done earlier.
     If a low ohm reading is found on the horn wire at the horn, the same test can be done at the fire wall connector or at the connector at the steering column to help locate where the short is.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.