FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2013 8:09 PM  #1

Father's Day Present for My Truck

Melody bought me a new rear bumper for my truck. ...I didn't want the chromed version. I have some possible modifications in mind to make to it and it just didn't make sense to cut on a chrome bumper. 

Before (with no rear bumper).

After (with new bumper installed).

6/14/2013 8:25 PM  #2

Re: Father's Day Present for My Truck

Where's those new rims?

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

6/14/2013 8:53 PM  #3

My wife hasn't bought me a bumper yet. I will forward this thread to her...

(Pinto!)

6/14/2013 10:42 PM  #4

yes sir, that looks really nice...............................

6/14/2013 11:36 PM  #5

looks great..im into minimal chrome too

6/15/2013 4:53 AM  #6

Your second picture makes it look like black chrome.    I like the black better than any other color of bumper.

6/15/2013 8:38 AM  #7

That's a nice stock bumper. What do you have in mind to improve it?

6/15/2013 12:12 PM  #8

MAW wrote:

Where's those new rims?

The rear bumper came in yesterday (Friday). The wheel company sent me the right style wheel (and without rust pits in it this time) on Thurday.

I had to work until noon today (Saturday) so I wasn't able to get to the tire shop to see about getting/ordering tires. 

I'm hoping that possibly sometime this coming week, or by next weekend, I can get the tires or at least have them on order to be installed at my soonest opportunity.

6/15/2013 12:32 PM  #9

Hornman wrote:

That's a nice stock bumper. What do you have in mind to improve it?

I would like to section (cut) each side of the bumper and narrow it to move the ends inward to where the overall bumper width is the same width as the body of the truck and not sticking out past it.

I would also like to notch the lower part of the bumper on each side for the exhaust tips to stick through.

The 3rd thing I would like to do is cut out a square hole, directly in the center of the bumper, behind the license plate. As you can see in the photos above, this bumper has no provisions for a trailer ball. This means I would have to run a Draw-Tite/Reese-style receiver hitch that would hang out below the bottom of the bumper. If I cut a square hole out in the center of the bumper, where the license plate mounts, I could run a Hidden Hitch.

If I was going to pull a trailer, all I would have to do is tilt the license plate downward (the plate would be mounted on a spring-loaded bracket), insert the draw bar into the hitch receiver (via the square hole in the bumper), tie onto the trailer and away we go. When I was through pulling the trailer, simply remove the draw bar, the license plate would fold back up to cover the square hole in the bumper and you wouldn't have to look at an ugly Draw-Tite hitch hanging from under the bumper all the time.

Last edited by ultrastang (6/15/2013 12:34 PM)

6/15/2013 12:53 PM  #10

Happy Bumper's Day, Steve!

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.