FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2015 5:23 PM  #1

I plumb forgot to tell this story

There we were in downtown Wimberley, Texas on Bash day Saturday night to partake of Wimberley's fine cuisine.  After dinner, Mrs. Hornman spotted a gewgaw store next door to the forbidden restaurant, so we had to go in to "see what they had".  Well, they had a very fine selection of high quality gewgaws, so we probably would have spent hours in there if the two UT guys running the store weren't trying to close up.  They told Mrs. Hornman to take her time and pick out as many gewgaws as she wanted (thanks guys).  I was mostly trying to stay out of the way and take up as little space as possible when the counter guy saw my "Tail Of The Dragon" T shirt.  He said "is that near Robbinsville, North Carolina?"  I told him it was and he went on to tell me that early in the summer he was vacationing in that part of the world, wandering around in his Jeep CJ and accidentally drove the Tail Of The Dragon, in his Jeep CJ.  He said he didn't want to do that again.  I felt compelled to tell him that in the right vehicle, say a Mustang or eight, it's a lot of fun. I don't think he believed me.

11/11/2015 6:58 PM  #2

Re: I plumb forgot to tell this story

Hornman wrote:

There we were in downtown Wimberley, Texas on Bash day Saturday night to partake of Wimberley's fine cuisine.  After dinner, Mrs. Hornman spotted a gewgaw store next door to the forbidden restaurant, so we had to go in to "see what they had".  Well, they had a very fine selection of high quality gewgaws, so we probably would have spent hours in there if the two UT guys running the store weren't trying to close up.  They told Mrs. Hornman to take her time and pick out as many gewgaws as she wanted (thanks guys).  I was mostly trying to stay out of the way and take up as little space as possible when the counter guy saw my "Tail Of The Dragon" T shirt.  He said "is that near Robbinsville, North Carolina?"  I told him it was and he went on to tell me that early in the summer he was vacationing in that part of the world, wandering around in his Jeep CJ and accidentally drove the Tail Of The Dragon, in his Jeep CJ.  He said he didn't want to do that again.  I felt compelled to tell him that in the right vehicle, say a Mustang or eight, it's a lot of fun. I don't think he believed me.

Follow MS over Red Mtn. Pass and the Million Dollar Highway, Ron....you'll like that too.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/11/2015 6:59 PM  #3

Here is a road that runs real close to my house.  This road starts in Arnold, and ends at Sandy Creek Covered Bridge and runs through snake mountain.   If anyone cares to waste 7:00 minutes of their life.  I found this on u tube.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZcz-j8IDW8

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/11/2015 7:49 PM  #4

That stretch of road has been known as the Dragon since the early 80's. I traveled it several times before that and most notably in my brothers MG. I think that is what made my road racing thing stick. My brother had an early 60's MGA twincam that was awesome on that kind of road. It had the most wonderful brakes at the time. The MG had a very nice and precise shift gate that forced proper driving to go smooth and quick. I guess that is why I like the T5 since it is similar in that respect. 

11/12/2015 7:47 AM  #5

Lime Creek Road, Austin, Texas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5xkk7V7uYE

Enjoy

11/12/2015 9:54 AM  #6

Ron,
specifically what is a “gewgaw”...........is it like a doo-dad, or a road apple or a thing-a-ma-jig????
my inquiring mind would like to know....

11/12/2015 12:21 PM  #7

According to Dictionary dot Com.gewgaw [gyoo-gaw, goo-]  /ˈgyu gɔ, ˈgu-/ noun1. something gaudy and useless; trinket; bauble.
Origin of gewgaw: 1175-1225; Middle English giuegaue; gradational compound of uncertain origin; perhaps akin to Middle French, French gogo

So Ron was just trying to inject some edgy mick ation into the forum.

11/12/2015 1:10 PM  #8

i think GeeGaws are a lot shinier than DooDads but not quite as useful as a good whatchamacallit.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

11/12/2015 1:21 PM  #9

And here I thought Ron was using some of his engineering lingo on us.......

11/12/2015 6:57 PM  #10

bulletbirdman wrote:

i think GeeGaws are a lot shinier than DooDads but not quite as useful as a good whatchamacallit.

Bulletbirdman, Got it in one try.

Josh, if you don't know the difference between a road apple and a doo dad, then I never want to see your junk drawer.

11/12/2015 8:16 PM  #11

bulletbirdman wrote:

Well said bulletbirdman!! Actually quite acurate.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

11/12/2015 8:20 PM  #12

bulletbirdman wrote:

And all this time I thought GeeGaws and Doo -Lollys were the same thing.huh?!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/13/2015 11:49 AM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

bulletbirdman wrote:

And all this time I thought GeeGaws and Doo -Lollys were the same thing.huh?!

Naw... a Doo-lolly is more like a thing-a-ma-jig.... but nothing like a road apple (or mountain oyster for that matter)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.