FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2015 4:05 PM  #1

FItech Fuel injection anyone?

I'm seriously considering the FItech throttle body style fuel injection. It's the least expensive, easy installation (6 wires), no fuel return line required with the engine bay mounted fuel command center (nifty idea). I started reading up on it after hearing it was a big hit at SEMA this year and I really like what I'm reading. Someone talk me off the ledge.

http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-Products

HenryJ

11/12/2015 10:13 PM  #2

Re: FItech Fuel injection anyone?

The only advantage I can see to going with a TB system is that it doesn't look like Ford's EFI system.  But, Ford used the ugly chefs-hat intake to provide tuned intake runners for the 5.0 so it will produce it's peak torque down lower than most carb-type V8 intakes due to the long intake runners. This give better seat-of-the pants street performance, wonderful drivability, and decent MPG, and extreme reliability, but, it's ugly.  It's also way cheaper than any after market system to set up on a SBF.  For the $1000 they want you could set up an EEC-IV system and have a good start on a 4R70w transmission, or get real close to an AOD.   Just sayin' Henry.  Come to the Bash and I'll load you up with most of what you'll need to set up a Ford system.  If you are putting it on your 289 it won't have to be anything fancy.  A stock 5.0 system will do all you will ever need on that engine.  I even have a harness I can throw in....Oh, wait a minute, that harness is Corky's so you can't have it.  I do have my old harness though and we could talk.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (11/12/2015 10:23 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/12/2015 11:35 PM  #3

It looks interesting. 

Being new, their web site is naturally a little skimpy on comments by owners.  Personally, I would want to wait until others do the natural field testing that will occur with more usage.  That said, go for it if you want.  It looks simple enough that you could easily revert to normal carburation if there is a problem.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/13/2015 7:23 AM  #4

I know a few folks running it and they LOVE it. Like you said the Fuel Sump Pump is awesome. As soon as I can, it's going on the Mach. Remember you do have to run a Vent line back to the Tank, no fuel return though and you can use your mechanical pump if you still have it.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

11/13/2015 7:51 AM  #5

BB,
I guess I'm too old school for the fox body stuff... it just looks too out of place for me. That's why I'm considering this as an alternative. Yes, it's much more expensive than the pick-n-pull stuff, but less than half the price of the competition, aka the msd atomic kit.
Either way, their clever idea of the fuel command center will work on any FI system and might save someone the headache of swapping or modifying the tank. It can be supplied by a mechanical pump or low pressure electric pump.

HenryJ

11/13/2015 8:16 AM  #6

Mach1_Ron wrote:

I know a few folks running it and they LOVE it. Like you said the Fuel Sump Pump is awesome. As soon as I can, it's going on the Mach. Remember you do have to run a Vent line back to the Tank, no fuel return though and you can use your mechanical pump if you still have it.

Ron, how long have your friends been running this? This system looks pretty interesting, along with Ron's endorsement, makes me think.

11/13/2015 11:30 AM  #7

The price isn't to bad.  Im interested in what Ron's friends think too!   Maybe MS can do a test run and review  for us...

11/13/2015 1:23 PM  #8

Looks pretty impressive butt.......can it work with this?!!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwnuPahJo0
Ya'll know me......just gotta axed!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/13/2015 2:13 PM  #9

It will work on this Mike!   

11/13/2015 3:09 PM  #10

Steve69 wrote:

The price isn't to bad.  Im interested in what Ron's friends think too!   Maybe MS can do a test run and review  for us...

Okay, Henry...watched the vid, pretty slick if  it its truly a bolt-on, plug & play setup.  And, I guess at that price it's not too bad if it really saves a lot of harness building and fuel line running.  And, it do look better than the Ford setup.

Bring it to the Bash and take me for a ride.  Okay?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/13/2015 5:52 PM  #11

Bullet Bob wrote:

Okay, Henry...watched the vid, pretty slick if  it its truly a bolt-on, plug & play setup.  And, I guess at that price it's not too bad if it really saves a lot of harness building and fuel line running.  And, it do look better than the Ford setup.

Bring it to the Bash and take me for a ride.  Okay?

BB

You got it BB!

HenryJ

11/13/2015 6:25 PM  #12

Steve69 wrote:

It will work on this Mike!   

That looks like fun.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/13/2015 8:56 PM  #13

He sure makes it look simple!
I swear though.......with 527 cu. in. and 600 HP on tap....she( I mean he!) kinda "grannys" along doesn't he?!
Probably sell more if he melted the skins in a couple of gears.
6s6
PS....my example sounded more like a hot rod!!!    I know-I know............jus say'in!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/13/2015 9:48 PM  #14

6sally6 wrote:

He sure makes it look simple!
I swear though.......with 527 cu. in. and 600 HP on tap....she( I mean he!) kinda "grannys" along doesn't he?!
Probably sell more if he melted the skins in a couple of gears.
6s6
PS....my example sounded more like a hot rod!!!    I know-I know............jus say'in!

You read my mind Sal

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

11/17/2015 12:39 PM  #15

DBROWN wrote:

Mach1_Ron wrote:

Ron, how long have your friends been running this? This system looks pretty interesting, along with Ron's endorsement, makes me think.

Several months now. Said it Tunes itself very well.... Can't wait to get my pennies saved up for it. Upgrading back to Power steering at the moment...not sure Why I took it off, but it needs to go back on now... lol

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

11/17/2015 3:13 PM  #16

Mach1_Ron wrote:

DBROWN wrote:

Mach1_Ron wrote:

Several months now. Said it Tunes itself very well.... Can't wait to get my pennies saved up for it. Upgrading back to Power steering at the moment...not sure Why I took it off, but it needs to go back on now... lol

Keep us posted Ron and do a right up and post some pics when you do it!  Thanks
Steve69

11/17/2015 3:58 PM  #17

In case anyone is interested.... Some of these fuel injection systems prefer a single plane manifold.  Fltech tech support told me that a two plane manifold like my Performer works just fine.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/17/2015 4:50 PM  #18

nice setup and for the price wow

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

11/19/2015 9:45 AM  #19

In my research on this unit I also found this coming out.
https://holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/
Shows a short video down from top.

11/19/2015 11:06 AM  #20

DBROWN wrote:

Looks like it has all the same features as FITech!   They must of been scared by FITech's price and decided to duplicate something similar.    This is a good thing though!   In 5 years maybe they'll have the $499 EFI conversion...LOL 

11/19/2015 8:41 PM  #21

I think the fuel sump is a great idea.  $400 bucks though seems a bit much.  What would it take to make a DIY one?  Maybe use a Ford Contour fuel pump and re-purpose a "catch can" type of container to hold the fuel. Is it doable?

Last edited by JSHarvey (11/19/2015 8:42 PM)

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

11/19/2015 9:39 PM  #22

JSHarvey wrote:

I think the fuel sump is a great idea.  $400 bucks though seems a bit much.  What would it take to make a DIY one?  Maybe use a Ford Contour fuel pump and re-purpose a "catch can" type of container to hold the fuel. Is it doable?

Sure it's doable. The real question is: are your fabrication skills sufficient such that you would be comfortable driving your vintage Mustang with a pressurized fuel tank you constructed? If so, then have at it, but take lots of pictures to post on the forum.

Actually, I thought $400 was pretty cheap for everything that is included in the tank/pump system. The Aeromotive in tank pump is $400 for just the pump. The Aeromotive tank to fit your car with an in tank pump is $700.

Last edited by Hornman (11/19/2015 9:43 PM)

11/19/2015 9:58 PM  #23

Hornman wrote:

JSHarvey wrote:

Sure it's doable. The real question is: are your fabrication skills sufficient such that you would be comfortable driving your vintage Mustang with a pressurized fuel tank you constructed? If so, then have at it, but take lots of pictures to post on the forum.

Actually, I thought $400 was pretty cheap for everything that is included in the tank/pump system. The Aeromotive in tank pump is $400 for just the pump. The Aeromotive tank to fit your car with an in tank pump is $700.

I agree with you $400 being cheap.   You don't have to run a new line to the tank and deal with working under the car.  It would save a ton of time also!  

11/19/2015 10:10 PM  #24

After more thought I realized I can just use the external pump that came with my Powerjection III kit.  The only high pressure part is the line from the pump to the PJ III unit.  A question for you guys - can I send the return line to the fuel sump or does that need to go back to the tank so the fuel can cool.  If this works I can do it for the cost of a sump tank, two feet of high pressure line, and two feet of low pressure line and I make no changes to the current tank and just keep the current lines and pump in place.

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

11/20/2015 6:20 AM  #25

Steve69 wrote:

DBROWN wrote:

Looks like it has all the same features as FITech!   They must of been scared by FITech's price and decided to duplicate something similar.    This is a good thing though!   In 5 years maybe they'll have the $499 EFI conversion...LOL 

This looks like it came down in price from this Edelbrock unit.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/5310427580.html

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.