FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2013 4:55 PM  #1

Q:

I'm about to buy a 1969 Cougar XR7 with original 351W and FMX.  The tranny slips a bit and will need to be rebuild or changed out with other transmission.   There are holes in floor for stick if I decide to ditch the automatic.

Key thing is I'm on a Low Budget, as "The Kinks" song goes...

Q:  what are your ideas? 

Intended Use:  this is just going to be a driver/thrasher/cruiser to take wife out for dates and go on road trips with our two kids.   Thinking more of a Grand Touring GT type ride... so overdrive would be nice. 
Highway cruiser first, in town cruising second, not going drag racing so does not to need to be built too much. But a few years from now, if I do wanna Hot Rod it, would like to either rebuild or replace with a medium duty tranny sturdy enough to smoke tires, shift crisply, and not lose a ton of power from the tranny.

Q:  will a column shift AOD from a 1988 Gand Marquis-Crown Vic with a 5.0 work in my 1969 Cougar with 351W that has a floor shifter?

looking forward to your ideas!

Q:  One last question:  if I did go with option of rebuilding the FMX for resale purposes... who is good source for quality Rebuild kit with red clutches and all the bells and whistles?

Thank you in advance.  have not had a car to wrench on since selling my 68 GT/CS in 2009.  Back thenI was "GT/CS Mike" on here!

6/14/2013 7:06 PM  #2

Re: Q:

First of all..........welcome back to the forum!

Since as you stated you're on a budget right now, I'd do the easiest thing and simply rebuild the FMX and run it.  Then, when you have more time to research other options and your wallet gets fatter, consider a AOD or..............whatever

Others will have their thoughts and some will poopoo the FMX but, if i were in your situation that's what i'd do for now..........

Post some pics later too!!

6/14/2013 7:59 PM  #3

As j-kb said Welcome Back Mike.
That 69 XR-7 351 is a great ride.
 I'd spend my hard earned cash another way though, just to keep from spending twice to end up with the best result.
Junk the poo-poo FMX...Sorry to be harsh, it's just not that great a tranny and it's a power hog(consumes 100 horse power & torque vs 60 or so for a C-4 @ a given output)
A rebuilt C-4 is better than the FMX, however if your going to spend that money, go on ahead to an OD trans. And that XR-7 is worth it.
 A column shift trans cannot be used , however a column shift trans can be altered with a floor shift selector arm, it's then a floor shift trans. So IF you have a cheap AOD already(That Does Not Need To Be Rebuilt) use that untill you can buy a 4R70W fer having fun with.
IF you need to buy a fresh trans, in all honesty you'll be dollars ahead to go ahead and bite the bullet and get a 4R70W & controler to start with.
On another recent thread it's been pointed out that a search of the archives will find a bunch of relivent info on AOD's & 4R70W's
Hehheh, and if necessary we will answer those questions again.

Tubo

Last edited by Tubo (6/14/2013 8:03 PM)

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

6/14/2013 9:09 PM  #4

i think someone was being lazy when they referred a post to the archives!!  what's gonna happen when MS pulls the plug on the archives!!  hope he dont read this!!

6/15/2013 5:48 PM  #5

My vote would be:
IF money is really tight, find a used Fox Mustang AOD.
If you can afford the computer controlled tranny like Tubo has, that one will never have to be replaced for a better one.  It may cost more going in, but it will be DONE.

I am thinking, if the archives go away, it might help keep all of us on our toes and provide newer information and more forum participation.  We ALL gain more experience every day, and some of that archived info is years old.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/15/2013 9:15 PM  #6

OK!!!!!
I'll SAY IT!!!
Since you're gonna need a new or re-built tranny anyway.......Get a good T-5  and clutch pedal set and go THE MANUAL shift route. A lot more fun when you can "row them gears" Look sweeet in a Cougar plus.....you got the hole in the floor already!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/16/2013 4:45 AM  #7

Most of the XR7's came with consoles though, so just bolting on a shifter to 'row the gears' isn't really all there is to it.  

West Coast Classic Cougars would have the parts you need, of course.

Still working on saving my own '67 XR7. =)

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

6/16/2013 8:56 AM  #8

If you're on a budget and hwy cruising is #1, I'd go with a plain ole AOD. The Bauman controllers add ~ $600 to the cost of installing a 4R70W. There are plenty of aftermarket upgrades for the mechanical AOD from beefed clutches to valve bodies with adjustable shift points that are still half what a controller costs that can be done later. I'd slap in a working AOD then up the rear gears to 3.50 or > later when you want fun at the strip/street.

There are long and short tail shaft AOD's, looks like from this thread you'd want to locate an '89~'93 AOD from a mustang, check what other models had before picking. AOD's from trucks or different models may have different gear ratios also. One of the differences of a column shift car is that the shift lever pointed down instead of up, you have to drop the pan to reverse the direction of the lever, nothing major.
http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=719

Jon

'67 Coupe 289 stroked to 333ci, AOD, 9" Candyapple red ;'09 Warriors In Pink, Black with glass roof - the wifes Mustang.

6/16/2013 7:37 PM  #9

My donor car for our 66 Mustang was an 89 Lincoln Towncar...essentially the same car as the 88 CV.  In the towncar the  column shifter operated throug a Z bar that interfaced with the trans.  In other words, that particular column shift trans WILL work with a floor shifter and I'd be willing to bet that the 88 CV uses the same setup. 

The 5.0 from that car will be a nice roller block witih speed density EFI.  You prolly won't want that EFI but a carb is an easy swap.  The much maligned AOD is not the best trans available butt (TS&T) it works just fine for normal driving where you are just cruising and ain't planning to try to put the car on its lid....oh, sorry Corky, got carried away there.  Also, it's pretty easy to rebuild by yourself if you can follow distructions and have some tools.  (There's an AOD rebuilding tool kit floating around the forum...I think it's in Arkansas right now.)

Anyway, as MS said the Fox 5.0 with AOD would be the best choice for a budget because you get an HO engine which has more cam and better heads and 225hp instead of 156 +-.  However, if the CV is cheap enough, a decent argument could be made for going that way.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/16/2013 9:52 PM  #10

Thanks, everyone!

I was leaning towards regular AOD and looks like most replies encourage that.

There are two or three to choose from locally, so gonna get the car home then score the tranny. Will post pics when get her home.

Thanks for well wishes, great to be with everyone again!

Mike

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.