FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2015 8:13 AM  #1

68 drum manual brakes

Hello Mustangers. Its pulling to the right but my left front brake is over heating. I have left side slightly tighter than the right to prevent pulling to the right.  But after 3 years, left  is over heating.  What do you recommend?

I know yall love upgrading to disc, but I'm hoping for a quick fix.
Thanks,James.

11/21/2015 8:36 AM  #2

Re: 68 drum manual brakes

13james13 wrote:

Hello Mustangers. Its pulling to the right but my left front brake is over heating. I have left side slightly tighter than the right to prevent pulling to the right. But after 3 years, left is over heating. What do you recommend?

I know yall love upgrading to disc, but I'm hoping for a quick fix.
Thanks,James.

Sounds like sticking wheel cylinders,and or poor adjustment,return springs....jj

Last edited by jerseyjoe (11/21/2015 8:39 AM)

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

11/21/2015 8:57 AM  #3

Yes, something is sticking. The master cylinder is full but fluid doesn't look new anymore. I have the wires disconnected from the distribution box and I tapped on it this morning.
Its still slightly pulls to right, but the left is not too hot now.

11/21/2015 9:23 AM  #4

The distribution block is only affected by front to back differences in pressure, so that is not the problem.
Be sure the larger of the two shoes is on the rear of the assembly. The diagram below shows it as the SECONDARY shoe, which has a longer lining on it.

Check that all springs are properly installed like jj suggested.

Replace both wheel cylinders.  This is the most likely problem, although older hoses can sometimes clog up internally.  They will allow pressure to go TO the brakes, but will not let enough come backwards to release the pressure.

Be sure there is no grease or oil contamination on the shoes.

This picture shows how it should be, but if you look close you will spot the shoe guide missing at the top.

You been driving it like that for three years?  Discs, my friend.  It is the "thing of the future".

If the pulling ONLY OCCURS DURING BRAKING, also inspect strut rod bushings and upper control arm bushings as these can cause a camber change when braking which can also cause it to pull.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/21/2015 11:17 AM  #5

Preload on the wheel bearing could also be off, to cause pulling to one side. It would be a good time to check, replace/repack the wheel bearings and retorque them.

Procedure for torquing the front wheel bearings:

1. With wheel rotating, torque adjusting nut to 17-25 ft/lbs.

2. Back adjusting nut off 1/2 turn.

3. Tighten adjusting nut to 10-15 in/lbs.

4. Locate the nut lock on the adjusting nut so that the castellations on the lock are aligned with the cotter pin hole in the spindle.

5. Install a new cotter pin. Bend the ends of the cotter pin around the castellated flange of the nut lock so they don't interfere with the grease cap.

6. Check the front wheel rotation. If the wheel rotates properly, install the grease cap.

11/21/2015 11:30 AM  #6

When front braking is marginal or when experiencing a pull don't forget the rear brakes.  You may be compensating for a pull in front that is induced by a rear brake that is working too much or another that isn't contributing at all.  A lot of the old VW beetle sand-buggy conversions used rear-wheel braking as a turning aid.  You can't really test the rear for a pull with the e-brake as the cable setup does not exercise the hydraulic system but it may reveal a locked brake or significant mis-adjustment.  You may also need to look at the arc/arch of the front shoes with respect to the drums.  In some cases with wear of one or the other (shoe or drum) you may only have limited contact between the shoe surface and the drum.  If the arc is too small it may only contact a patch at the middle of the shoe and if the arc is to big, the shoe may only make contact at each end.  If you want to keep the drums, I think you may want to just start fresh with new shoes, re-ground drums that are still in spec, and re-arching if necessary.  As Steve suggests, replace both cylinders and get new install kit with springs.  That way you know that both front brakes are 100%.  If it still pulls your problems are elsewhere. 

11/21/2015 1:27 PM  #7

Thanks everyone. I installed almost new everything  except distribution box and some hard brake lines. So, I'll look it all over.
Thanks for the info!

11/21/2015 6:50 PM  #8

13j13, from your post, it sounds like you have not pulled the drums to check things out.  Since you have had problems from day one, you should check the parts in your brake drum first.  It really sounds like the shoes are not fitted to the drums properly.  I know how to check this, and could show you in 30 seconds, but I cannot explain it here.  If you are around the central Texas area, I will check it out for you.  I'm in Georgetown.
Drum brakes are really not that complicated, just most folks never trouble shot (shooted?) them.
Google Tiny Lund and see what speeds he was running his Fords at, what trophies he took, and what brakes he ran.
Good Luck

11/22/2015 9:19 AM  #9

Oops.  Sorry, I did not see the address on your posts yesterday.
So, here goes - with the brake drum off and the shoes off, place one shoe in place in the drum, holding each end with each hand.  Now, try to move your right hand upwards and your left hand downwards at the same time, while applying a little pressure on the shoe into the machined surface of the drum.  Then, change the direction that you were moving your hands, up and down.  The ends of the shoe should rock freely up and down.  If it does not, it will not release properly from the drum when you release the pressure on the brake pedal.  It needs a little spring action to push the ends off the machined surfaces.  If that does not happen, you will have a "dragging" brake shoe which will cause the steering to pull and the brake drum to over heat.  As far as tightening one side up to counter act the pull, not a good idea.  Adjust the brakes with the adjusters when you first install the shoes, and then leave it alone.  Be sure the correct adjuster - the part with the star wheel - is on the correct side.  They should be marked "L" and "R".
This is hard to explain, I hope you understand it.
Good Luck

11/24/2015 8:37 AM  #10

Thank you, Pablo. I appreciate all the information.
Got a bad cold. I've not started yet.

11/27/2015 9:43 AM  #11

When checking for brake pad movement should one side move first and then the other side or should they both move at the same time?

11/27/2015 4:51 PM  #12

13james13 wrote:

When checking for brake pad movement should one side move first and then the other side or should they both move at the same time?

Anybody know?

11/27/2015 5:05 PM  #13

The left drum and pads had rivet grooves. I put new drum, new cylinder and new pads which made it pull left, but the right brake needed tightening. So I "believe" its ok now.
But I was wondering because the 3 year old wheel cylinder seemed to be sticking on the short brake side.

11/28/2015 9:33 AM  #14

You should always replace both sides at the same time.  At this point you have probably spent more than the cost of a used set of Granada discs.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/28/2015 5:06 PM  #15

Yes, I'll replace the pads on the right...because they come in a set, left & right and that sounds better. I will say, its much better now. Thanks Steve!

11/28/2015 5:13 PM  #16

13james13 wrote:

Yes, I'll replace the pads on the right...because they come in a set, left & right and that sounds better. I will say, its much better now.  What's the cost conversion over to Granada discs? Thanks Steve!

11/28/2015 6:14 PM  #17

James, you are over thinking this.  Drum brakes are pretty simple and basic.  If you have the drums off and are watching the pistons push the shoes out, you are not getting any useful info.  If both sides move the brake shoes out, and they aren't leaking, you're probably good.  They don't have to be synchronous.  If the drum is scored all around from rivets grinding into it, it needs to be "turned"( re faced), or replaced if out of spec.  If you do one side and not the other, your are asking for problems.  I don't understand your adjusting one brake tighter than the other.  The automatic adjusters will take care of the proper adjustments.  If it is pulling to one side or the other, the adjustment (if properly done) is not the problem.  If you tighten the adjuster to the point there  is drag on one side, you are exacerbating the problem, not helping it.
Have you checked to see if the brake shoes are "rocking" in the drum?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.