FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2015 3:04 PM  #1

Non Mustang, But Automotive Question Of The Day

There is a wealth of experience and knowledge, not to mention general opinions here, so:
My son has a reliable everyday truck, and is wanting to have something to play with, and even though he has grown up around old Fords, he wants to go a different route.

His want list is:
Fun to drive,
Reliable,
Easy to get parts for,
Pre- emissions and computers,
Inexpensive to maintain,
Different from the norm,
Likes style over track type performance,
Easy to understand and work on,

The two things he has come up with are at the opposite ends of the spectrum,
Classic Jeep CJ, or a Classic VW Bug

I see it as the following:
Both have:
Great replacement parts supply,
Easy to understand
Have style, just different,

The Jeep would be drivable year round, have better heat when needed, may be safer (not sure).

The Beetle is less intimidating, less of everything (axles, transfer case, cooling system), more fuel efficient, very cheap to maintain.

I have had a few of both, and enjoyed them all and cussed them all.
Just so you know, this is what he is thinking his end product would look like,

Jeep CJ7

71 VW Beetle

On a side note, when he was showing me photos, I saw this and thought it was cool.

I think he would end up with a lot more money in the jeep to get it were he wants it.

Opinions, or thoughts?

12/15/2015 3:31 PM  #2

Re: Non Mustang, But Automotive Question Of The Day

Can't choose. I like them both. Had a vw before. VW sqaureback"s and fastback's are pretty cool too. The knock on the VW is no A/C.

12/15/2015 4:47 PM  #3

Karman Giha.

And they do make a pretty good AC system for air cooled VWs now.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/15/2015 5:23 PM  #4

Go with the jeep, he'll get more ladies....;0)

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

12/15/2015 6:20 PM  #5

I like Suzuki "Sammys".....I think.
I've some really tricked out V Dubs too.... Slammed with big and little tarz(big fat ones on the rear.)
Nice California rake.
  Porche  engine...or big jug VW. (Check with BulletBob on hopping up V-dubz.) 
CJ's are nice with V-8 power and big mudder tires.
Guess I'm not much help...cause I lik'em all!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/15/2015 6:30 PM  #6

You guys are about as much help as I was,

I like them both as well . I still think he can make a bug cool and fun to knock around cheaper, just less moving parts. His mother said the same thing about the jeep and getting girls. I like the versatility of the jeep, but I see new and old of them everywhere and I just don't see classic bugs much.

12/15/2015 8:39 PM  #7

Kar wrote:

There is a wealth of experience and knowledge, not to mention general opinions here, so:
My son has a reliable everyday truck, and is wanting to have something to play with, and even though he has grown up around old Fords, he wants to go a different route.

His want list is:
Fun to drive,
Reliable,
Easy to get parts for,
Pre- emissions and computers,
Inexpensive to maintain,
Different from the norm,.................................................Who's Norm?!!!!
Likes style over track type performance,
Easy to understand and work on,

The two things he has come up with are at the opposite ends of the spectrum,
Classic Jeep CJ, or a Classic VW Bug

I see it as the following:
Both have:
Great replacement parts supply,
Easy to understand
Have style, just different,

The Jeep would be drivable year round, have better heat when needed, may be safer (not sure).

The Beetle is less intimidating, less of everything (axles, transfer case, cooling system), more fuel efficient, very cheap to maintain.

I have had a few of both, and enjoyed them all and cussed them all.
Just so you know, this is what he is thinking his end product would look like,

Jeep CJ7

71 VW Beetle

On a side note, when he was showing me photos, I saw this and thought it was cool.

I think he would end up with a lot more money in the jeep to get it were he wants it.

Opinions, or thoughts?

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/15/2015 9:42 PM  #8

I've never owned a Jeep CJ but I owned several 60's era VWs. I lived in western Pennsylvania at the time and I drove them to work year round. In fact in spite of there lack of a good heater I preferred driving them in the winter. With a good set of snow tires they'll go anywhere. In the summer they were good inexpensive transportation, fun to drive and of course that's when the heater worked. I would go with the VW.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

12/15/2015 9:44 PM  #9

I have had both, and they both held my attention for a fairly short time. Mostly because they both were mostly inconvenient. Nobody wanted to ride with me and surely did not want to attempt the back seat. So I changed to a 65 Buick Skylark GS and suddenly everyone was my friend again. I guess 445 foot pounds of torque thrill more folks than me. That was many years ago, and I surely would choose the Riviera GS today just for the much better back seat and the 2 four barrels.

12/16/2015 6:38 AM  #10

Harley Sportster - you can get them used for cheap and they are a blast to ride.  Take the Motorcycle Safey Course first though.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

12/16/2015 8:11 AM  #11

If it matters... A police officer friend pointed out that whenever he goes to an accident scene involving a Jeep, it is usually a fatality accident.

I had a 64 bug when I was in high school, circa 1972.  They were very popular then.  It took $2.00 to fill the gas tank. And it never failed to have at least one girl in it, but those tastes may have changed since then!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/16/2015 8:20 AM  #12

I would hunt for an older CJ5 with a 304 v8.

12/16/2015 9:29 AM  #13

As always, great comments and things to think about,

Up until a couple years ago, I had a Sportster and miss it a lot, but traffic and young and old people on cell phones has made it just too crazy to ride anymore in my book.

I have owned both an older Jeep and Bug, both with their issues good and bad. I will say that keeping the bug on the road was easier and cheaper. I think he is leaning towards the less is more theory of the Bug.

He needs to find one with a great body and floor pan, The motor or even if it runs won't matter as he will replace that anyway. Being here in Kentucky, we may need to make a road trip west, at least a Bug is really light and easy to tow.

12/16/2015 10:15 AM  #14

I always say safety first for the kids.  For me it had to be in the mid 90s and up and have air bags.    That bug wouldn't stand a crash with a mid size SUV.  With young drivers you want something that's easy to drive  with automatic.  I let my son drive my 69 Mustang.  It took him at least hour to figure out the clutch to get it to move without killing the engine..LOL.  My son wanted to buy a 70s hot rod.   He also plays Hockey.   Im like is this car going to start when its -25 leaving the Hockey Rink at night with a Carburetor.  Then the half hour drive home from practice in 6" of snow in a rear wheel drive car.   I figure when he's done with college and has a job he can buy whatever he wants.  The other killer is insurance.  For him to have a car with us not having no tickets or accidents in over 15 years its $1400 a year for liability for him alone.   I've looked all over for insurance and there all about the same.  My son ended up with 2001 Grand Am GT.   But he has his eye on 2002 F150 4x4.  So we keep the Grand am for my Daughter who gets her license this summer for her If  he buys the Truck.   I don't even want to think what the rates will be when she's driving.  Its  not like the 70s and 80s when we were driving around.  That's for sure.        

Last edited by Steve69 (12/16/2015 10:25 AM)

12/16/2015 12:19 PM  #15

i vote pre 68 bug

12/17/2015 7:02 AM  #16

HenryJ wrote:

I would hunt for an older CJ5 with a 304 v8.

We had one of those.  Bought it from a junkyard for $300 with a set of 4 newish off road tires.  It was rusty as it gets.  We jumped it up a hill and on of the fenders gave way and it ran the fan into the radiator, cut right through the tubes.  We kept it running, cooled it down with water, bent over the cut tubes and dumped 4 tubes of that powdered gray stop leak into the radiator.  It didn't hurt the engine and it sealed up just fine.  It was just a beater for running through the woods, but it was tough as hell.  By the time we finally had to send it back to the junkyard, where we recouped $200 of our investment, it would only make right turns, had no brakes, and the roll bar had be ripped off it.  I should have kept that motor because some years later I bought another CJ5 with a 232 straight 6 in it.  The V8 swap is pretty easy, and any AMC V8 will work as they are all the same from the 304-401.

My cousin also had an '89 Wrangler that we swapped a 350 Chevy into.  That thing was a monster.  He never broke the Peugot built 5 speed in it despite what Advanced Adapters claimed was inevitable, even when he banged 5th gear at about 100 and on of the driveshafts let loose. 

Are Jeeps dangerous?  Well, IMO any vehicle in the wrong hands is dangerous.  Are Jeeps rollover machines?  Not in my experience.  I've done a lot of hairy stuff with them over the years, but never rolled one.  I've also seen videos where they repeated the "tests" done by various news outlets to show how dangerous certain various vehicles were (Sidekick was among the ones derided).  They found that a high speed S turn would flip a 7 series BMW just as easily as a Jeep or Samurai.  When it comes to vehicles kids need to be taught what they can and can't do.  Do that and I would continue to worry only about the other drivers on the road.

VWs are also very cool.  My father-in-law has both a Beetle and a Ghia convertible.  The Ghias can be hard to find without major body issues, and repairs are more difficult because of the fully unitized body (fenders don't unbolt).  The following is huge, parts readily available, and with the right parts they can be made pretty quick owing to the fact that they weigh nothing. 

If it were solely up to me I'd go with the Jeep for the versatility.  Some day though, hopefully many, many years from now that Ghia will live in my garage when my father-in-law goes to the Margeritaville in the sky.  Maybe that'll change my opinion, who knows?

12/17/2015 8:49 AM  #17

international scout yep! its different and not to common.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

12/17/2015 11:17 AM  #18

Oh, my other weakness in classic 4x4s!  The IH Scout, a 4x4 built by a company that makes tractors.  I mean seriously, does anyone doubt its toughness with just that as a descriptor?  If more enticement is needed, they built them with Diesels (built by Nissan) when no one was doing that.  Their I4 was literally half a V8, with a block off plate on the side that would have had the other bank of cylinders.  They were smart too, and used Dana axles (27 front and rear in early models, and 30 front, 44 rear in later models with an optional 44 front) and t-cases (18 early models, 20 later models).  Pretty sure their autos were Chrysler Torqueflites.  They also offered AMC I6s (232s and 258s).  Their gas motors would last 300k, when most other manufacturers would be lucky to see 100k.  They built a turbo 4-cylinder variant in the mid 60's.  Their only weakness was rust.  Parts availability is somewhat spotty for body, trim, and interior, but mechanical parts are readily available thanks to interchangeability with other makes.  The Scout II, built from '71 onwards are the most prevalent, but the earlier 80 and 800 models do pop up on occassion.  The IH built V8s came in 3 sizes, 304, 345, and 392.  I think the Scouts were only offered with the 304, but the pickups and Travelalls could be had with the bigger engines, which are bolt in swaps.  Not long on HP, but they make tons of low end grunt, even the 4 cylinders had good low end (and could knock down 20+MPG depending on the rear gear).  I think 4Wheeler or another mag built one as a project truck in the late '90s called Project Tonto.  The Scout's another vehicle that I almost bought.  Maybe one day I will.  I will not go on Craigslist, I will not go on Craigslist, I have enough vehicles, STOP, don't open Craigslist in another tab!  Uh, I gotta go...

12/17/2015 4:16 PM  #19

OK, here we go!!!  One of my local friends is putting a Subaru WRX engine in his 67 VW bug.  Someone actually makes an adapter for that!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/17/2015 6:04 PM  #20

TKOPerformance wrote:

Oh, my other weakness in classic 4x4s!  The IH Scout, a 4x4 built by a company that makes tractors.  I mean seriously, does anyone doubt its toughness with just that as a descriptor?  If more enticement is needed, they built them with Diesels (built by Nissan) when no one was doing that.  Their I4 was literally half a V8, with a block off plate on the side that would have had the other bank of cylinders.  They were smart too, and used Dana axles (27 front and rear in early models, and 30 front, 44 rear in later models with an optional 44 front) and t-cases (18 early models, 20 later models).  Pretty sure their autos were Chrysler Torqueflites.  They also offered AMC I6s (232s and 258s).  Their gas motors would last 300k, when most other manufacturers would be lucky to see 100k.  They built a turbo 4-cylinder variant in the mid 60's.  Their only weakness was rust.  Parts availability is somewhat spotty for body, trim, and interior, but mechanical parts are readily available thanks to interchangeability with other makes.  The Scout II, built from '71 onwards are the most prevalent, but the earlier 80 and 800 models do pop up on occassion.  The IH built V8s came in 3 sizes, 304, 345, and 392.  I think the Scouts were only offered with the 304, but the pickups and Travelalls could be had with the bigger engines, which are bolt in swaps.  Not long on HP, but they make tons of low end grunt, even the 4 cylinders had good low end (and could knock down 20+MPG depending on the rear gear).  I think 4Wheeler or another mag built one as a project truck in the late '90s called Project Tonto.  The Scout's another vehicle that I almost bought.  Maybe one day I will.  I will not go on Craigslist, I will not go on Craigslist, I have enough vehicles, STOP, don't open Craigslist in another tab!  Uh, I gotta go...

I agree and actually have a bookmark toolbar with a Craiglist search setup so I can keep an eye on em. Way better deals than the early Broncos and arguably equal or better vehicles.  I think Trucks on Powerblock did a series on one.  Soon I will own one.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

12/17/2015 7:05 PM  #21

Here you go Steve, it appears to be a fairly common swap, think about it, a 350 hp motor with a flat tq curve in a 1800 lb car. All I can say is wow, sign me up.

12/17/2015 8:21 PM  #22

Kar wrote:

Here you go Steve, it appears to be a fairly common swap, think about it, a 350 hp motor with a flat tq curve in a 1800 lb car. All I can say is wow, sign me up.

Now that looks like fun!!   

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

12/18/2015 5:58 AM  #23

That makes a lot of sense actually.  The layout of a WRX has the engine overhanging the front axle centerline.  The Beetle has the engine overhanging the rear axle centerline.  Inherent handling characteristics are the same.  But, the Beetle suspension isn't anywhere near as good as the WRX, and unless you're also grafting the AWD into the car I'm thinking this thing could be straight up dangerous in anything but a straight line.  My WRX is probably making about 300HP at the crank, and its a very well balanced car, with what I've done to the brakes, etc.  But it weighs about 3,000 lbs.  So long as you don't drive like an idiot you aren't going to get yourself in trouble. 

12/18/2015 10:35 AM  #24

Don't let the lack of heat be the deal breaker for the Beetle.  I lived in Germany in the mid '60s, and saw plenty of Beetles with auxiliary heaters - powered by gasoline.  They got plenty hot and quickly.  Read the paragraph - About Gas Heaters - towards the bottom of this article if you are interested:  http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqheat.htm
Enjoy.

12/18/2015 11:12 AM  #25

Not concerned about heat, this would be a play car for those days 40 deg or above. I think a 100-125 hp bug motor is more in line of what he is thinking, from what we've read, 125 hp will get you into the 14's fairly easy and 135 hp, good tires and you can break into the 13's and still be reliable, that low curb weight really makes a difference, Ha Ha.

Because of poor traction, and my unwillingness to break something, both of my Mustangs are mid 13 second cars.

I would think due to the Bugs small dimensions and low weight, it would feel much faster than it really is with 100+ hp, and be a blast around town (somewhat like a go cart), may be a little bussie at 70mph on the hwy.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.