FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2016 11:11 PM  #1

03 t5 trans 302?

Hey guys I read somewhere that the 99-04 v6 t5 trans can be used in a 65 with a 302.  All it mentioned was that the tailshaft or tailhousing had to be switched out with an older one bc of digital readout in later models.  I'm wondering about the input shaft compatability with the 87 302 block? Also im looking for pedestal mount 1.72 rockers if anybody has a source. Thanks

1/28/2016 6:59 AM  #2

Re: 03 t5 trans 302?

Summit Racing lists the Scorpion Pedestal at 1.72 ratio. I have the Comp Cam 1.6 ration in my 347 stroker.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/scc-scp1022-1/overview/

1/28/2016 8:06 AM  #3

I did this with both my 66 Mustang and 65 Falcon using 99 V6 T5's. You will need to swap the tail housings if you want to use the mechanical speedo. There is some grinding required on the housing to accept the oiling tab for the 5th gear cluster on later trans. I did it with a die grinder and some small aluminum carbide bits. The 96 and up T5 has the same longer input shaft that came about in 94, so you'll need a 94/5 V8 bellhousing to use the 157 tooth flywheel or use the V6 bell but it'll require a 164 tooth flywheel for the starter to properly engage (found this out the hard way on my Falcon).

1/28/2016 9:58 AM  #4

I used to run the Crane 1.7 ratio stud mount rockers and still have a brand new never out of the box set. They are for 7/16 studs not pedistal. I also have a jig with drills and taps to properly do a head for 7/16 studs. When I went to the 1.7 rockers, I had to change springs which required machining the heads to change the spring seats. Make sure you know your cam, because getting more lift with the rocker ratio is a little different than just a bigger cam.

1/28/2016 10:05 AM  #5

Something to consider.  If your car has factory power steering, the 94 and newer bellhousing and tranny are not a good choice as they relocated the release arm to a lower position and it will interfere with the power steering ram.

1993 or earlier won't have that problem.  This assumes use of a cable clutch system.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/28/2016 11:10 AM  #6

Thanks,

I always thought scorpion rockers were a generic brand but they are made in the US and not cheap lol. I plan on using a stock 87 cam. I've got stud mount 1.6s on my 66 289 heads and the whole cost of reworking a set of heads for rockers is something I'd like to avoid. The heads I'm going to use are heavily ported E7 heads with bigger valves already installed as well as different springs and my thoughts were 1.7s would help take advantage of the heads wo too much trouble.

1/28/2016 11:43 AM  #7

The car does not have power steering or any other option for that matter unfortunately.  Although I do want to purchase the MS pedal kit with brake booster capabilities along with the clutch cable kit. 

The bellhousing provided with the trans for sale is from the v6 as well as the flywheel and clutch.  The flywheel I'm guessing I can't use bc of the balance issue. so if I go this route what flywheel do I need? and will the v6 clutch kit work? 

fyi  I found the 03 t5 with flywheel, v6 bellhousing and  clutch kit from a wrecked car for 300.00 and I have is a complete 4 cyl. trans that was mated to my 302.

1/28/2016 2:39 PM  #8

I used a flywheel from a 63 Galaxie with a 289 that I had parts left over from. Just happened to fit. I did have it re-drilled to use a diaphragm clutch though. Take a look at late model trucks with the 5.0L, most should be an 11" clutch and a 164T flywheel with the correct 50oz balance for later (1981+) blocks.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.