FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2016 4:48 AM  #26

Re: bore to 347?

MachTJ wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

A lot is made of the rod/stroke ratio, and I've certainly built engine around that principle.  It took some doing to build my Chevy 383 using a 6" rod and a piston that did not need oil ring supports, but I wanted the longer rod.  I have noticed in recent years though as I've watched the Engine Masters Challenge that there have been winners running R/S ratios of as low as 1:35, which flys in the face of conventional wisdom.  I note this challenge a lot because it draws professional engine builders such as Joe Sherman, John Kasse, etc. and showcases everything from Ford FEs to Oldsmobiles to Buicks to Mopars to Chevys.  Heck, there was a Y-block in one challenge!  It gathers together some of the smartest guys in the industry who've logged millions of hours of dyno time and what they turn out year to year is fascinating.  Sometimes what everyone thinks is best isn't, and the challenge is done using averages, so most average power wins, which is a lot harder than making a magic peak number.  Sure, there are rules each year, and to a point the engines are built under those rules, to make the most average power under those rules.  But, average power is what a street engine is all about, so the tech is pretty applicable. 

I too follow engine masters quite a bit and one thing to remember is that these are very intelligent shops making all out engines that are probably only going to run a weeks worth of dyno pulls and that's it. Whether they would last 100k miles we will never know.

That is true, and one thing I have noticed is that some of the engines run low drag rings and a vacuum pump, which isn't a great street combo.  But, I do remember reading that Joe Sherman said of one of this entries that with a different ring package he was confident his engine would make a great street engine, and only sacrifice about 20HP.  100k?  Maybe not because most of the top contenders are making north of 600HP, and it would be rare to have an engine making that kind of power that wasn't enormous (like 500 cubes or more) that could go that long.  Typically once you get to the 800HP level you are talking about freshening every year or so if you're racing with the engine.  Granted, street use doesn't put as much strain on an engine, but I would be surprised if a 600HP engine is going to last more than 50k and still be producing its best power. 

2/23/2016 5:02 AM  #27

6sally6 wrote:

Let me jump in here!
A331 will have an easier time making 350 HP than a 30 over 5.0. Why?!  Its bigger and not struggling to make the same number.
Now whether your engine goal is 300 or 450 is irrelevant. The larger the engine/cu. in. the easier on parts when making that number.  351's a little heavier and a little wider than the 5.0 butt starts out making 50/75 more horse power just because of its size!
Size DOES matter!
331 would be my choice for what you've said  your expectations might be.
(With a HUGE cam!!)
6s6

What's important to keep in mind is that HP is to an extent a mathematical expression of work over time.  It is computed by the following formula:

torquex5252/RPM

With a torque curve at any given point you can calculate the HP.  This is also why the curves always intersect at 5,252RPM.

But, a bigger engine starts producing torque at a lower RPM and produces more of it.  A smaller engine doesn't produce as much torque, so to hit the HP number it compensates with RPM.  In other words, you have to spin the smaller engine faster that the bigger one to make the same peak HP. 

Now this would be a deal killer if your goal was 450HP, because that's a really high strung 5.0/302.  You're going to have to zing that engine north of 7k to hit that mark.  350HP isn't as big a deal, and you can hit that mark by 6k.  Sure, with a bigger engine you can hit the mark sooner, and the street manners will be a bit better.  The low end torque is also nice to have, because torque is what you really feel (pushes you back in the seat).  But, with a stick trans, you have more control than with an auto, and I don't think its as big a deal at this power level.

I still think the easiest route is to build the 302, because I'm confident it can be built under his budget.  If the budget was higher then I'd absolutely recommend the stroker.  The only way I see to get the stroker for his budget is to buy used stuff or someone's unfinished project, and with a knowledge gap this could be a dangerous proposition because people aren't always honest and you need to know what you're looking at.  Sure, you could learn everything you need to know with some research and questions asked right here.  Its just a case of whether or not the OP wants to do that, or has the time to do it. 

2/23/2016 10:19 AM  #28

(Torque in foot pounds times RPM) divided by 5252 is how I learned it. Maybe it is a new math thing. My 331 ticked just over 500 HP on the dyno with my race headers and intake/carb on it. It now sits in my 65 with an intake set up for better mid range and carb for throttle response. I haven't dynoed it that way, but estimate it is still a fair amount over 400 HP. I am used to keeping the revs up when I drive, so I do not have any problem with it on the street. I have several friends with similar cars, but with a lot more cubic inches. They all hate to drive my car. But none of them can keep up with it on track! I picked tire size and gearing to utilize the torque curve of the motor. Horsepower is wonderful for bragging, but torque will get you off a corner.

2/23/2016 10:35 AM  #29

TKOPerformance wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Let me jump in here!
A331 will have an easier time making 350 HP than a 30 over 5.0. Why?!  Its bigger and not struggling to make the same number.
Now whether your engine goal is 300 or 450 is irrelevant. The larger the engine/cu. in. the easier on parts when making that number.  351's a little heavier and a little wider than the 5.0 butt starts out making 50/75 more horse power just because of its size!
Size DOES matter!
331 would be my choice for what you've said  your expectations might be.
(With a HUGE cam!!)
6s6

What's important to keep in mind is that HP is to an extent a mathematical expression of work over time.  It is computed by the following formula:

torquex5252/RPM

With a torque curve at any given point you can calculate the HP.  This is also why the curves always intersect at 5,252RPM.

But, a bigger engine starts producing torque at a lower RPM and produces more of it.  A smaller engine doesn't produce as much torque, so to hit the HP number it compensates with RPM.  In other words, you have to spin the smaller engine faster that the bigger one to make the same peak HP. 

Now this would be a deal killer if your goal was 450HP, because that's a really high strung 5.0/302.  You're going to have to zing that engine north of 7k to hit that mark.  350HP isn't as big a deal, and you can hit that mark by 6k.  Sure, with a bigger engine you can hit the mark sooner, and the street manners will be a bit better.  The low end torque is also nice to have, because torque is what you really feel (pushes you back in the seat).  But, with a stick trans, you have more control than with an auto, and I don't think its as big a deal at this power level.

I still think the easiest route is to build the 302, because I'm confident it can be built under his budget.  If the budget was higher then I'd absolutely recommend the stroker.  The only way I see to get the stroker for his budget is to buy used stuff or someone's unfinished project, and with a knowledge gap this could be a dangerous proposition because people aren't always honest and you need to know what you're looking at.  Sure, you could learn everything you need to know with some research and questions asked right here.  Its just a case of whether or not the OP wants to do that, or has the time to do it. 

Time and money, money and time, there is always a direct correlation.  You can spend all your time making money, or you can spend all your money making time.  Truthfully, I am at a point where I am making a push to get this Pony back on the road! It been in my garage WAY to long torn down and ground down to metal, I am ready for some J-hook posi tracks and cruises to the coast!

I am thinking about a 331, but in reality as mentioned above it only seems that it may make 10% more power than what a built 302 can make, I have to ask myself if that return on quite a bit more investment is justifiable at this juncture?  I will have to look at numbers and see what my builder thinks once he get the Crank inspected, and look at the costs of 331 stroker kit vs just a rebuild kit for just the 302. As TKO mentioned, it may seem that at this point $5-6k mark will more likely get me a nicely built 302 depending of course on a few variables (shop rates, labor rates, materials used) so I will have to map it out a little tighter to get more than just a rough estimate. I had found this little blip/article online and maybe the information may not be as accurate as I once imagined: http://347strokerkit.com/how-to-build-a-347-stroker.html

Or maybe I should have done what MS has always mentioned, find a whole running 5.0 pulled out of a Fox Body mustang and just drop it n, but then whats the fun in that right?

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

2/23/2016 11:07 AM  #30

There's some good information in that article, but the prices are totally unrealistic.  Stock heads are going to cost you way more than $300 to rework and flow close to what aftermarket heads can flow, and without flow there will be no power.  A set of stock E7TE heads, or even GT40s you'd be lucky to crest 300HP, but a set of AFR heads bolted onto an otherwise stock 5.0 netted 80HP.  That's 80HP with a stock cam.  IMO guys tend to be dramatically incorrect when it comes to how much money they've got tied up in an engine.  I've built a lot of engines and I can tell you, I have a 383 Chevy, literally the cheapest stroker you can build, now I went with good stuff (4340 rods, forged Mahle pistons, forged 4340 crank, and a set of reworked Edelbrock Performer RPM heads that I already had, full roller valvetrain) and I have every penny of $6k wrapped up in it.  I could have gone the cheap route with less robust internals (that would probably fail at the 600HP it can make on spray), or a flat tappet cam (which I hate and would cost me average power).  But, the heads would also have cost me another grand if I didn't already have them.  I also assembled the engine myself.

5.0/302 stuff is close in cost to SBC stuff, but its still a bit more expensive.  I know that to build an engine you'll be happy with you're going to be in the $5,000-$6,000 range for a 5.0/302 and another $2k for a stroker.  There are guys that will argue, you don't really need the aftermarket heads, you can get the power buy using a cam, and you can, but its going to be a much more radical cam than you'd need with heads that just flowed properly, so you sacrifice street manners to save a grand.  The there'll be the "just port the stock heads" guys, but this isn't a do it at home operation despite what they want to believe especially with modern castings.  You'll probably make the heads worse, especially at low lift trying to do it yourself.  So, porting is going to run you $600-$800 with a valve job, you add another $300 to rework the heads (hot tank, mag inspect, assembly, etc.) and you're at the cost of entry level aluminum heads that flow better out of the box.  There's always a way to do it cheaper, but this is one of the many instances in life where you get what you pay for. 

2/23/2016 11:08 AM  #31

Also, my previously posted formula was indeed incorrect.  That's what happens at 6am.  It should read:

torque*RPM/5252

2/23/2016 4:00 PM  #32

Take a ride in Corky's 331!!  more than enough for me!!!

2/23/2016 9:36 PM  #33

From what I saw at the Tomball bash, it is apparently more than enough for Corky as well !!!
CAVEAT EMPTOR MAILBOXICUS

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/24/2016 12:17 PM  #34

MS wrote:

From what I saw at the Tomball bash, it is apparently more than enough for Corky as well !!!
CAVEAT EMPTOR MAILBOXICUS

SOUNDS like an inside joke, sorry I missed it! Either way, I am waiting for a report back from the engine builder as to the condition of interior components, hope to hear back in the next few days. As I have had a little time to think, I believe I am going to take a look at real world costs to build a 331 vs. just building a nicely equipped 302. I would like for the wife to be able to drive it as well and maybe a milder build might be more appropriate, try to avoid EMPTOR MAILBOXICUS!

Also, I have been thinking about what order of operations I should take to get the car back together, maybe I will start another thread pertaining to this...

3/07/2016 1:55 PM  #35

Just doubling back on this topic as I spoke with my builder today and he said he got the block all tore down, thinks I would be smart to do a crank kit? Also, he is a fan of going with a stock motor build, but he said if I wanted to make changes (bore?) now is the time to do so as we need to order pistons/rings and all that jazz. Lastly, he mentioned if I wanted to do a new cam now is also the time to do that, he said the stock cam would probably be fine and hydraulic cams might be spendy, but if I wanted a "lopier" idle a cam would be indicated, something around 268 or 270? Said he found some rust on some lifters, replace those as well?

SO seeking input on these things, why would I want a "lopier" idle? I am doing a power brake booster so I need some amount of vacuum for this correct? He said probably going with a hypereutectic pistons is the way to go and being somewhere around 9.5/1 is what he is shooting for. He is going to do a little research and I told him I would do the same, and here it is hopefully y'all can steer me down the right path. Much appreciated! 

3/07/2016 3:32 PM  #36

Boring the block should be determined by the wear in the bore.  If he's measured the bores and finds them round and without taper and they are still standard bore then I would not bore the block.  Boring is something I do only when necessary, to return the cylinders to round and free of taper.  Boring removes material and will mean less service life down the road at the next overhaul.  If you bore it 0.030 now you might not be able to save the block at the next overhaul.  If it doesn't need to be bored now you've got meat left for next time. 

For a typical street engine I would use hypereutectic pistons.  They run a tighter piston to wall clearance and will make less noise and burn less oil, as well as lasting longer.  The only reason not to use them is if you plan to run nitrous or boost. 

If the crank is worn out then you can either have it turned undersize or replace it.  If you're going to replace it then the question becomes do you replace it with a longer stroke crank and build a stroker.  Again though, we're into cost.  You could replace just the crank with a standard 302 crank for probably $90.  With a stroker kit you're buying the whole kit, having to do machine work and possibly balancing too, easily adding close to $2,000 over just replacing a worn crank.

Cam, compression, etc. is where you have to decide what you want it to do.  Everything has to be matched.  A true 9.5:1 compression engine is good for iron heads.  I'd go to 10:1 for aluminum heads.  You have to be careful with cam specs, because there's duration at 0.050 and advertised duration.  Advertised duration can be whatever the cam company claims (not very scientific).  Duration at 0.050 is industry standard and makes for a better comparison.  Duration at 0.050 will be considerably less than advertised.

So, if you set your goal at 325-350HP from a 302 I would go with 9.5:1 compression for iron heads, 10:1 for aluminum.  Head wise I'd go with Edlebrock Performer RPM if you want aluminum.  You could actually use their top end kit (heads, cam, and intake) and be right in the ballpark you're shooting for. 

3/07/2016 11:31 PM  #37

These discussions are fun butt can lead to many pages of posts because everybody "see's" things through their own eyes.
For sure I would have him install the left bank of pistons on the RIGHT side and the right bank on the LEFT side. WHY?! Because the wrist pins are offset on SBF pistons. By reversing the piston in the bore...it puts the rod angle at a more favorable angle, giving you free HP.(approx. 5% more). A lot of old Ford mechanics know about this.....I guess that makes me old, huh?!
Camshaft stuff. ...On the street CR above9.5:1(iron heads) can "sometimes" be problematic with spark knock/rattling/
detonation because you are right at the "limit" of crappy non-leaded "modern" fuel. Especially with A/T.
A cam with tighter LSA of 110* or less.. and longer duration will allow some compression to bleed off at low speeds/low RPM..which is a good thing! Lift is only limited by valve springs and piston to valve clearance. The more the better! IMHO!!  
Removing any/all sharp edges/corners in the combustion chamber can prevent hot spots.
Port matching intake/exhaust  is "assumed" to help butt-knot by much. Common sense tells me a smooth exhaust port could only help an engine make more power.
It's a combination of small things,which added up,can make nice improvements in power.
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/07/2016 11:33 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/08/2016 10:43 AM  #38

6sally6 wrote:

These discussions are fun butt can lead to many pages of posts because everybody "see's" things through their own eyes.
For sure I would have him install the left bank of pistons on the RIGHT side and the right bank on the LEFT side. WHY?! Because the wrist pins are offset on SBF pistons. By reversing the piston in the bore...it puts the rod angle at a more favorable angle, giving you free HP.(approx. 5% more). A lot of old Ford mechanics know about this.....I guess that makes me old, huh?!
Camshaft stuff. ...On the street CR above9.5:1(iron heads) can "sometimes" be problematic with spark knock/rattling/
detonation because you are right at the "limit" of crappy non-leaded "modern" fuel. Especially with A/T.
A cam with tighter LSA of 110* or less.. and longer duration will allow some compression to bleed off at low speeds/low RPM..which is a good thing! Lift is only limited by valve springs and piston to valve clearance. The more the better! IMHO!!  
Removing any/all sharp edges/corners in the combustion chamber can prevent hot spots.
Port matching intake/exhaust  is "assumed" to help butt-knot by much. Common sense tells me a smooth exhaust port could only help an engine make more power.
It's a combination of small things,which added up,can make nice improvements in power.
6s6

Tell me more,  so you are saying to swap #1 with #5 and so on.   The numbers are stamped on the rod and cap, so if someone else was to tear down the engine wouldn't they be confused?  why didn't Ford do this?

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it over!

3/08/2016 10:49 AM  #39

You don't move the rods around, just the pistons.  The piston pin is not in the center of the piston on a SBF; it is offset.  In the factory configuration it puts a higher thrust load on the pistons, which wastes power through increased friction and reduced leverage.  Flipping the pistons "backwards" changes this geometry, reduces friction, improves leverage, and improves power. 

3/08/2016 1:04 PM  #40

6Sally6 I can see that happening  threads become full with peoples input and ideas based on personal experiences, not a bad thing but it becomes a lot for someone like me with limited knowledge of motor works and it all starts to run together and get a little convoluted, I am essentially taking notes and picking out things I think make the most sense and taking that back to the man building the motor so we can figure out the best way to get this 302 built.

TKO, I like the idea of the "top end kit" and found a few from Edlebrock at a reasonable price, like this one:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2027/overview/
 However I have not found a "kit" that has a roller cam, maybe I am wrong? It seems like a pretty good deal with heads, studs, timing chain, intake and everything included ready to go!
  I then looked for bottom end "kits" came up with this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-mhp173-000/overview/

Then I thought to myself, how much more for a 331 rebuild kit ( because I have not completely abandoned that  idea: http://www.americanmuscle.com/scatstroker-331-cast-7995.html

Not a whole lot more for a 331, am I correct in my thinking, I know I would need to bore the cylinders which the builder said if approx. 25$ per cylinder and have it hot tanked/magnafluxed and checked for cracks. I am just making sure I have all my ducks in a row before I go back and talk to him tomorrow and make the final decision, let me know what else I am missing....

3/08/2016 4:32 PM  #41

Devo- If you want power but, something your wife can drive, go with a 347 and a mild cam. Although with your knowledge base you might be better off with a 302 build.

3/08/2016 5:28 PM  #42

I believe you're correct on the Edelbrock kits, they come with flat tappet cams.  But, what you could do is buy the intake, heads, etc. from the kit (Edelbrock sells everything a la carte also), and then just match the cam specs from the cam in the kit to a roller cam.  You'll still get all the benefits of a roller cam, as the roller will deliver more power under the curve while still easily hitting the peak numbers the kit advertises.  There is some stuff to consider (pushrod length, etc.), but the guy putting the engine together should be able to figure that stuff out. 

For the 331 you have to realize that you are looking at only the parts.  Machining is a whole other cost.  So, the kit is $960, but a balance job is going to add another $150, if you need heavy metal you're looking at $70 per slug and it could take 2 to balance out, you are going to have to clearance the block which is likely about $150-$200, and if the pistons are not available standard bore you are going to have to bore the block at about $260.  So all told you're in it for $1,710 before you know which end is up.  I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying, understanding that budget was a concern, be sure you know what you're getting yourself into.  I'm all for building the most engine you can afford.  I just know how stuff ends up sitting when costs exceed your plans. 

3/08/2016 9:05 PM  #43

3/09/2016 12:11 PM  #44

ultrastang wrote:

You may be interested in reading this.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mufp-0602-ford-stroker-engine/

Hey Thanks Ultrastang, that was an informative good read! Makes me want to take the old 302 or 289 engine I have in my garage and start tinkering around to get more familiar with the inner workings of these motors, after all I did buy a copy of Tom Monroe's "How to rebuild small-block ford engines" for a reason! As a lot of things related to motor work are still foreign to me, I would like to change that.

I should be tying in with my builder today to get things going, and have a fairly strong idea of where I need to go from here to get this motor built- somewhere between a nicely built 302 and 327(bowtie)331 stroker depending on how much I want to be invested in this. To me it makes sense to build a strong a bottom end to start with then figure out the top end in correlation with that, I am sure the builder will have his share of input and ideas of his own.

Do I need to have the block hot tanked, and magnafluxed regardless of how I plan on building the motor?

3/09/2016 1:11 PM  #45

Hot tank YES, nothing like strting off with a nice clean block(still need to wash with hot water and soap and wipe down with Brakcleen)-I love that stuff-...........magnafluxed probably not unless it will make you sleep better at night.
I didn't and it was a 5.0 from a junkyard with unknown history. Now...if you plan power adders like spray or turbo/supercharging then it will be cheap insurance. Just my opinion.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/09/2016 2:00 PM  #46

6sally6 wrote:

Hot tank YES, nothing like strting off with a nice clean block(still need to wash with hot water and soap and wipe down with Brakcleen)-I love that stuff-...........magnafluxed probably not unless it will make you sleep better at night.
I didn't and it was a 5.0 from a junkyard with unknown history. Now...if you plan power adders like spray or turbo/supercharging then it will be cheap insurance. Just my opinion.
6s6

Yeah I spoke with him a little bit ago and he said yes of course we will hot tank/inspect before moving forward. He also said it is in need of boring and suggested 30 over, with Hyper pistons to match, molly rings, and something about Crank - 10/10? (not sure what that means but I nodded and played along) with new bearings, and said the crank could just be turned.
Then he went on to suggest pistons of the flat top variety with teflon coating(?) which he will obtain from his supplier when he goes to Portland on Friday. Also said we can discuss a cam/springs down the road a bit, but was leaning towards 260-268 ish and I told him I am adding a power brake booster so I need the vacuum for that.

Other those notes I had taken, I think we are on our way to having a nice 302 built that should suit my needs and be able produce some g-forces.

3/09/2016 2:54 PM  #47

I always hot tank and mag every block I work on, even for a stock rebuild.  There are cracks that can form in a block that are invisible to the naked eye and can cause a host of problems you can spend forever chasing down.  Its always better to know, and I think its like $150 for the service, well worth it. 

If he says it needs to be bored, it needs to be bored.  If 0.030" over is the smallest he can go then go with it.  He'll know, machinists can tell by the look of it how much they've got to cut to get it to clean up.

10/10 on the crank means grinding the main and rod journals each 0.010" undersize.  This is common to get them to clean up and restore roundness.  You'll just need a set of undersize bearings, which if he's bolting it all together I'm sure he'll take care of. 

Flat top pistons are what you would typically use in a street build.  Depending on chamber volume this can set your compression ratio anywhere from 8.5:1-10.5:1, so that's something to consider when selecting the heads.  I'd also talk to him about decking the block to get the pistons to zero deck height (flush with the deck at TDC).  This allows you to set quench distance with the head gasket, and there are a lot of gaskets out there that will get you a perfect 0.040-0.035".  Some guys see this as an unnecessary step in a lower powered engine, but I find engines that are built right in this regard make a little more power and are more efficient. 

The Teflon coating is on the skirts of the pistons, its typically referred to as an "anti-scuff" coating.  Its good to have.  Once an exotic coating, its showing up on a lot of reasonably priced pistons nowadays.   

3/09/2016 3:23 PM  #48

TKO is on to something here in that these motors do really like the "Squish". I notice a big difference when you go zero deck and even better at .011 to .014 out of the hole. 

3/09/2016 4:08 PM  #49

Awesome, learning a little everyday so thanks for all the feedback! Initially he had talked about being somewhere around 9:1 but this was before I had considered Aluminum heads (in the Top End kit) which could potentially bring up the compression to 10:1 like 6Sally6 had said would be a bit more ummph.

At what point do you "deck the block", in the same realm as boring the cylinders, same machine shop kinda thing? I will bring it up with him and I am sure he has considered it. Other than that the wheels are in motion and I am excited to get this underway!

3/09/2016 9:25 PM  #50

.030 over pistons are typically the first oversize that you can go on most engines. I don't think .020 are even available. 10/10 rods and mains are exactly what TKO typed, its a very common practice. Decking the block is resurfacing the areas where the head gaskets go on the block. The block is mounted off of the main journals and the decks of the block is then cut parallel to the main journals and the height from the left and right bank is equalized. Normally you have to mock up the crank in the block with rods and pistons in the 4 corners and measurements taken from the deck to the top of the piston to know how much has to come off before any surfacing action is taken. The machinist would do these operations before any final assembly would take place.

Last edited by MachTJ (3/09/2016 9:26 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.