FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2016 9:50 AM  #1

wrong brake pedal assembly

I switched out my non power all drum brakes to Granada power front disc on my 67 Cougar, after reading around this forum, I figured out that I have the straight M/C push rod, and the 69 power brake pedal (which I bought from my local mustang parts place used), I figure the push rod would be  easier to change,and how hard is it to remove the push rod. At this time I don,t have a 69 push rod to replace it with. Can the 69 style push rods be bought?

The reason I started look for information on this forum is because my power brakes don't feel like power, they feel more like non power disc. If you push hard enough, they will slide the tires. you guys are the best

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it over!

3/29/2016 1:19 PM  #2

Re: wrong brake pedal assembly

As far as I know you can't switch out pushrods, at least without disassembling the booster. That said I believe you have 2 choices, 1 go with a 69 style booster or 2 go with a 70 power brake pedal.

3/29/2016 1:31 PM  #3

Auto trans or manual?

3/29/2016 2:08 PM  #4

TKOPerformance wrote:

Auto trans or manual?

AOD

3/29/2016 2:11 PM  #5

Any one have a 70 brake pedal for automatic???

3/29/2016 2:15 PM  #6

Just curious what booster did you use? Granada?

Last edited by Rsmach1 (3/29/2016 2:16 PM)

3/29/2016 2:33 PM  #7

Just a FYI the aftermarket power pedals they list for 70 require use of the 69 booster. You may have a hard time finding an original 70 power brake pedal. West Coast Classic Cougar has some originals for $165. Might be easier to just change over to the 69 booster

Last edited by Rsmach1 (3/29/2016 2:41 PM)

3/29/2016 7:30 PM  #8

What exact booster did you use?  The Granada booster is not at all a good fit for a 67.  The shaft is too long for one thing.  There are plenty of factory power brake setups available for the 67.  The Bendix booster I offer has the correct fit for the car.  Your power brake pedal should measure 5.0" center to center between the pivot tube and the actuation pin.

Let us know exactly what you tried to put together.  There just might be a simpler way.  Sometimes trying to save a few bucks just causes exponential problems with band-aid solutions.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/30/2016 6:49 AM  #9

bad427cat wrote:

Any one have a 70 brake pedal for automatic???

No, but I do have a PB auto pedal for a '67 Mustang. 

3/30/2016 8:08 AM  #10

I did use everything from the Granada including the booster, with the 67 brake pedal the brakes were soft and went close to the floor, I changed to what turned out to be a 69 brake pedal and the brakes became firm and full pedal, they just don't feel like the booster is working.

3/30/2016 8:31 AM  #11

Assuming from your name, you might have a "bad" 427? What vacuum is it producing?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

3/30/2016 10:36 AM  #12

bad427cat wrote:

I did use everything from the Granada including the booster, with the 67 brake pedal the brakes were soft and went close to the floor, I changed to what turned out to be a 69 brake pedal and the brakes became firm and full pedal, they just don't feel like the booster is working.

That sounds like what happens when you have a manual pedal in a power car.  In '67 there were different pedals for manual and PB, and they mounted in the pedal support differently too. 

3/30/2016 2:52 PM  #13

at wrote:

Assuming from your name, you might have a "bad" 427? What vacuum is it producing?

The 427 is in a 68  GT-E, the 67 is a warmed over 351 W, it runs about 16 to 18 in. of vac.

3/30/2016 3:03 PM  #14

MS wrote:

What exact booster did you use?  The Granada booster is not at all a good fit for a 67.  The shaft is too long for one thing.  There are plenty of factory power brake setups available for the 67.  The Bendix booster I offer has the correct fit for the car.  Your power brake pedal should measure 5.0" center to center between the pivot tube and the actuation pin.

Let us know exactly what you tried to put together.  There just might be a simpler way.  Sometimes trying to save a few bucks just causes exponential problems with band-aid solutions.

Steve, everything came out of a Granada, I replaced the 67 non power brake pedal with a 69 pedal that measures 5 in. center to center like you said. What do you think I should try? PS all of the parts were factory rebuilt and  new rotors

3/30/2016 4:39 PM  #15

If the pushrod coming out of the booster does not have the dogleg like the 69 booster pushrod, and is straight, the 70 power brake  pedal with the 4.5" distance should be correct.

3/30/2016 5:13 PM  #16

You need the 67-69 Bendix or Midland booster that has the curved end on the shaft that connects to the brake pedal.
See my FAQ page on boosters and pedals.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.