FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2016 6:16 AM  #1

shelby style steering wheel

Hello all! Just received a Shelby style steering wheel, the one from cj pony parts but i noticed there is no way to use a steering wheel puller to get it off. What's the best way to get it off without damage?

4/03/2016 9:07 AM  #2

Re: shelby style steering wheel

Does it have a splined hub?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/03/2016 5:58 PM  #3

I rarely use a puller. Usually you can just pull on it and it will come off.
Does it have threaded holes in the center where you can install some bolts to attach a puller?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/03/2016 6:50 PM  #4

Yes, it has a splined hub, no holes for a puller, just like the original ones. I've read horror stories about getting them off. But these are new, so we'll see what happens. Got it from National parts depot, wheel was 349, horn button was 149, from CJ pony parts. They had the tri bar running horse - no tax, free shipping. Really nice wheel, better than up to 8 grand for a real one! Just hope the thing comes off when its time. Maybe a little anti seize.

4/03/2016 7:02 PM  #5

CJ has a nice kit, 14" wheel, adaptor and horn button assy for $309 shipped.  I am looking close at that for the reduced diameter.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-steering-wheel-kit-corso-feroce-shelby-style-wood-and-aluminum-14-inch-with-telescoping-adapter-horn-button-emblem-1965-1966/p/STW20K65-V/

4/04/2016 1:17 AM  #6

This one is a Corso Feroce,S7MS 3700A I wish I knew how to show pictures here. It's the same wheel that was in the Bullitt car-15". Really nice! Just came out. If you get the kit, wheel and horn button, it's a lot cheaper. Choice of 3 horn buttons-for those of us who don't have Shelbys, there is s tri color bar with horse.

Last edited by rtmjr13@optonline.net (4/04/2016 1:28 AM)

4/04/2016 5:00 AM  #7

You  know I bought a '67 repop deluxe from Laurel Mt off E-Bay and it sat on the shelf for a year or so, when I went to try it damn thang had chevy splines in it.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

4/04/2016 7:34 AM  #8

If you have the wheel I'm thinking it is, there are 9 tapped holes around the hub,  you may have to utilise those wheel mounting screws  and make up a puller to get it off.
 I've seen some that are a real bear to get off.

4/04/2016 9:50 AM  #9

rtmjr- Was thinking about getting that wheel but I am wondering about the turn signal cancel mechanism. Can you tell what kind it has? Hope it's not the ole Grant roll pin setup. Thanks for any info.

4/04/2016 10:20 AM  #10

Bruce, if you read my link, they say that the horn situation is improved.  My link is of the same brand that the OP is talking about but his is the 15"er.  I am thinking of getting the 14" version as I have power steering and the stock wheel is just too big,
Before I buy, I will get some information on the socalled horn improvements.  I know about every other post on aftermarket steering wheels is about the horn.

4/04/2016 2:01 PM  #11

I have a drawer in my tool box full of puller plates I have made for various jobs like that and usually end up drilling and tapping wheel hubs to match. Then they come right off.

4/04/2016 3:48 PM  #12

Hey Bruce, I don't think its the same roll pin set up, it has a small bag with 2 tiny pins. And I don't think its splined for a Chevy, it came from CJ pony parts-I hope! And yes Boomyal, regular wheel is 16 inches plus, always hits the legs getting in and out The 14 inch is a bit to small for me, the 15" was perfect, but it's still good to have choices. How do you display pictures on this site? I have no clue! From what I understand, this is brand new set up, wish I could share some pix.

4/04/2016 5:14 PM  #13

If you type in the following, it will show you which wheel I'm talking about. I think we're all picturing different wheels. This is a one piece, slip over the splined hub, attach the 2 bullet connectors for the horn, done. This wheel has four 4 holes per spoke. Type this:

CJ Pony Parts
Corso Feroce CS 500
Steering wheel kit with horn button. 65-66-67. 433.99

You actually get your choice of one of 3 horn buttons which can be displayed so you can see what it looks like. There is also a filler sleeve if you want to use it on a 68. It also has pictures of the rear of the wheel to show the signal cancelling slots, very similar to original OEM wheel cancelling slots.
I hope this helps, it is a very nice piece.

4/04/2016 6:28 PM  #14

rtmjr13@optonline.net wrote:

.....How do you display pictures on this site? I have no clue! From what I understand, this is brand new set up, wish I could share some pix.

Easy, peasy!  log in or sign up for Photobucket. http://s4.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

Upload your photos from your hard drive.  When you bring up the Upload Box there will be a little geared wheel in the upper right hand corner.  Click on that and another box opens that gives you the choice of picture size.  Choose 640 x 480 as it fits on everyone's monitor without having to scroll to see the whole picture.  Once you select a choice, it will stay that way until you change it.  DON'T POST OVERSIZED PICTURES. IT IS AGGRAVATING.

Once you upload a foto to your library you can click on it and find the IMG line.  When you click on that it will show that it was copied.  Now go to your forum post and paste the IMG link, in the box.  Voila!

4/04/2016 7:18 PM  #15

So you can't do it on the cell phone? It just follow the same format. I do most of my noodling from bed, late at night. ( that doesn't sound proper) 👀 It has to be on a lap top, or desk top?

4/04/2016 9:31 PM  #16

So you can't do it on the cell phone? It just follow the same format. I do most of my noodling from bed, late at night. ( that doesn't sound proper) 👀 It has to be on a lap top, or desk top?

I wonder if photobucket has an app?

Last edited by boomyal (4/04/2016 9:32 PM)

4/05/2016 1:59 AM  #17

Totally frustrating, I have a great picture of the wheel and horn buttons and can't share them. Have to figure something out. I signed up for photo bucket and still cant figure out how to get it over here.

Last edited by rtmjr13@optonline.net (4/05/2016 2:01 AM)

4/05/2016 6:42 AM  #18

Totally frustrating, I have a great picture of the wheel and horn buttons and can't share them. Have to figure something out. I signed up for photo bucket and still cant figure out how to get it over here.

Here's the Link for ya....

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-steering-wheel-kit-corso-feroce-cs500-with-horn-button-1965-1967/p/STW62K1-V/

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

4/05/2016 7:18 AM  #19

When in Photo bucket there is a list under the picture that offers a choice of what you want to do with it.
 Cut  the  IMG url and paste it in the message box of the post or reply.

4/05/2016 7:37 AM  #20

Posting a pic because r13 won't figure it out himself!
Here is the reproduction.

Shelby original wheel

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/05/2016 9:48 AM  #21

Don't be so mean Steve! I'm tryin, I'm tryin! Thats not very nice, not that I won't, I can't! Just lookin for a little help, thats all. Just want to share, wont happen again. 😶

Last edited by rtmjr13@optonline.net (4/05/2016 9:52 AM)

4/05/2016 11:04 AM  #22

Don't be so mean Steve! I'm tryin, I'm tryin! Thats not very nice, not that I won't, I can't! Just lookin for a little help, thats all. Just want to share, wont happen again. 😶

Once you have selected 'upload' in PhotoBucket you hit the 'chose photos and videos' button and it opens up a box for you to find what you want to upload in your hard drive index.  Select the picture, hit the 'open' button and the upload begins.  You can select multiple photos at one time by holding your shift key down while you select them..  Don't forget to declare your picture size before you upload.

Once uploaded you click on the picture in your Photobucket library and copy the IMG line to be pasted in your forum text box.

Last edited by boomyal (4/05/2016 11:05 AM)

4/05/2016 11:39 AM  #23

Be sure to let us know how the 'improved' horn button works.

4/06/2016 1:41 PM  #24

Hey all, Robby 13 here. Just got the tri color horn button for the steering wheel we've been talking about. It does have two (2) tapped holes for a steering wheel puller! Nice! They're deep inside the body. Now I have to find out what these two (2) little pins in a package are for. Will let you know for those interested.

4/06/2016 2:30 PM  #25

Hey Boom, the horn button fits really nice-tight. Big bullet connectors inside. This is definitely a new set up. Heavy duty spring clip holds everything in. I just called National Parts Depot, they had no clue on the small role pins. They look like the pin thats in the turn signal switch for directional cancel. Maybe a little bit longer. Hope this helps!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.