FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2016 3:04 PM  #26

Re: shelby style steering wheel

rtmjr13@optonline.net wrote:

Hey Boom, the horn button fits really nice-tight. Big bullet connectors inside. This is definitely a new set up. Heavy duty spring clip holds everything in. I just called National Parts Depot, they had no clue on the small role pins. They look like the pin thats in the turn signal switch for directional cancel. Maybe a little bit longer. Hope this helps!

What else I am interested in learning is the position of the rim in relation to the driver.  Did it end up further away from or closer to the driver.  As I mentioned, I am interested in the 14" version of that wheel and it appears to have a shallower dish than the stock wheel (meaning that the rim should end up slightly further away from the driver, which would be good).  However, it is really going to depend on where the adapter places the hub of the wheel to start out.

My ideal wheel would be a stock wheel and horn ring, with a reduced diameter and a heftier grip, all appearing stock at first glance.  Problem is that I have not found anyone to fab one yet except for one outfit in australia who wanted about $1600 to do it.

Practice loading pictures so you can show us the end result.

Last edited by boomyal (4/06/2016 3:10 PM)

4/06/2016 3:22 PM  #27

Something aint quite right here.

4/06/2016 7:04 PM  #28

BruceB wrote:

Something aint quite right here.

???

4/07/2016 4:07 PM  #29

Well, to all interested, the Shelby style wheel by Scott Drake went on nicely, and looks really good! I have to move the steering column  tube, it's scraping just a little, I'm assuming there is a collar or strap that holds it in place, correct? By the way, you can change the horn button emblem very easy, the giant circular spring clip holds everything in.

4/07/2016 5:37 PM  #30

Well, to all interested, the Shelby style wheel by Scott Drake went on nicely, and looks really good! I have to move the steering column tube, it's scraping just a little, I'm assuming there is a collar or strap that holds it in place, correct? By the way, you can change the horn button emblem very easy, the giant circular spring clip holds everything in.

Good to hear! You should be able to lower the tube by loosening the u-clamp under the dash and pushing the column tube downward.  There is no other anchor point.  There is only a boot where the column goes through the toe board/firewall.

Don't forget to post pictures AND to answer my questions about the final position of the new rim in relation to the stock wheel rim.

Last edited by boomyal (4/07/2016 5:38 PM)

4/08/2016 8:09 AM  #31

Ok Boom, haven't had a chance to look into sending pix yet, so I'll verbalize the result. I stood both wheels side by side upside down, measured from the part that hits the steering column, to the part if the rim that would be closest to you, if you were sitting in the car. The OEM wheel is 5 3/4 tall, the Shelby wheel is 4 1/4 tall. A difference of 1 1/2 inches. So yes, it is further away by that much. It's not in my lap any more. I'm 6'2", it helped!  The Shelby wheel is roughly 15.25 in diameter, OEM 16. Hope this helps, going to tackle this picture situation from the phone. Thanx for your help!

4/08/2016 8:41 AM  #32

Am I correct to assume that those dimensions include the adapter hub?
Are you posting on FYI from your phone?  If not, you can just download the pics from your phone to your computer, then go to PhotoBucket.  If you try to do it from your phone, I don't know if a photobucket app is available or necessary.

4/08/2016 8:06 PM  #33

Yes, your correct those dimensions are including the hub, its all one piece. Not like the lacerra etc. where you put on the hub and then attach the wheel with 6, or 9 screws. Do they make this Shelby wheel in 14"? I can send you the comparison pix through e-mail if you like, that I can do. The wheel is just as skinny as OEM, I always wrap mine old school lanyard covering. Just my preference wheel might be to pretty now!

Last edited by rtmjr13@optonline.net (4/08/2016 8:13 PM)

4/09/2016 10:45 AM  #34

Yes, your correct those dimensions are including the hub, its all one piece. Not like the lacerra etc. where you put on the hub and then attach the wheel with 6, or 9 screws. Do they make this Shelby wheel in 14"? I can send you the comparison pix through e-mail if you like, that I can do. The wheel is just as skinny as OEM, I always wrap mine old school lanyard covering. Just my preference wheel might be to pretty now!

rt, I sent you a pm with my email addy for those comparison photos.
Here is a link to the 14" wheel.  LMK if it looks the same as your 15".
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-steering-wheel-kit-corso-feroce-shelby-style-wood-and-aluminum-14-inch-with-telescoping-adapter-horn-button-emblem-1965-1966/p/STW20K65-V/

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.