FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2016 4:24 PM  #1

Paint code for a dark, non-metallic burgundy?

I've narrowed down the color choices on my 65 mustang fastback. The car has been de-badged, lowered, and has the GT350 pieces. But I'd rather do something different that the traditional GT-350 clone color choices. All the colors I'm thinking about are non-metallic, and the paint will be single stage. I'm considering Washington blue (very dark, deep blue that came on early Fords that looks black in low light), the darker British Racing Green, a dark slate that came on some early Porsches, and a dark, deep burgundy. I can find paint codes for all except for the burgundy. Like the Washington blue, I'm looking for the deepest, darkest non-metallic variety I can find - something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSrisUel354

Anybody have any ideas?

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

3/23/2016 9:22 PM  #2

Re: Paint code for a dark, non-metallic burgundy?

What I think would look really cool with burgandy is black Shelby stripes put down and covered with a candy/ translucent burgandy. In effect ghosting the black stripes.
After watching the video I guess I was picturing more of a dark maroon. still think the stripes layed underneath either would look cool.

Last edited by DBROWN (3/23/2016 9:27 PM)

3/24/2016 2:58 PM  #3

Check out the 72 mustang burgundy, you should find that code

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it over!

3/24/2016 8:32 PM  #4

bad427cat wrote:

Check out the 72 mustang burgundy, you should find that code

Thanks, that a nice color but tit's really maroon and just not dark enough for what I'm looking for.

3/24/2016 8:44 PM  #5

DBROWN wrote:

What I think would look really cool with burgandy is black Shelby stripes put down and covered with a candy/ translucent burgandy. In effect ghosting the black stripes.
After watching the video I guess I was picturing more of a dark maroon. still think the stripes layed underneath either would look cool.

They guy that owns the car refers to the color as aubergine (French for eggplant), which a little research revealed was a factory color (sometimes actually listed as eggplant) of a few European cars, including Porsches.  It's hard to really tell - in some shots the paint looks almost black and in some it seems to have a bluish tint (why I was thinking burgundy as opposed to maroon).  I've thought about ghosting the stripes, but I've decided I really want the car to be one solid color.

3/26/2016 11:41 AM  #6

An earlier Porsche Burgunder Rot is a nice non-metallic but not sure if it is dark enough for you.  About half-way down the page is a nice picture - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/497026-rosewood-vs-burgundy.html   See the posting from hessel1974

A favorite of mine from the 60's was a GM Madeira Burgundy/Maroon but may also not be dark enough.

3/28/2016 3:53 PM  #7

I'm guessing you've already considered the obvious '65 Code X Vintage Burgandy Metallic and nixed it. To me, it is a truly underrepresented color which looks very sharp when done correctly. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a fastback in that color in person, only coupes. Ooops, you're not looking for metallic. 

Actually, this '71 911T in burgundy (2424) looks like a million bucks!

Last edited by Jeff in GA (3/28/2016 3:54 PM)

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

4/05/2016 8:58 PM  #8

Jeff in GA wrote:

I'm guessing you've already considered the obvious '65 Code X Vintage Burgandy Metallic and nixed it. To me, it is a truly underrepresented color which looks very sharp when done correctly. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a fastback in that color in person, only coupes. Ooops, you're not looking for metallic. 

Actually, this '71 911T in burgundy (2424) looks like a million bucks!

Thanks GPatrick and Jeff.  I agree that burgundy looks great.  I may be completely off base, but at this point, I'm leaning toward anothe other Porsche color they offered in 1971 - eggplant.  Sound like it would be awful, but at least in some pictures I've seen it looks great.  I'm going to have a sample made up and shoot it on a spare hood I have and see what it looks like.  There's a danger it may look too purple but we'll see.

4/06/2016 6:31 PM  #9

I have always liked the Royal Maroon on the 69 Bosses.

4/07/2016 4:55 PM  #10

Chaplin wrote:

I have always liked the Royal Maroon on the 69 Bosses.

Unfortunately, if I painted my car that color, which looks very close to the A&M maroon, I wouldn't be able to show my face around Austin anymore

4/08/2016 2:41 PM  #11

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.