FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2016 6:18 PM  #1

After 24 years... FINALLY

I finally got the new rear end for the fastback today.  Will install tomorrow or in a day or two.  Hopefully that bearing vibration is history now.  I have been dealing with the vibration since the first 302 and C4 was in the car in 1992.

Now I have to get the driveshaft rebuilt because I changed from a 1310 to a 1350 ujoint.  The pinion snubber on the old third member will get swapped to the new one before installation.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/28/2016 7:24 PM  #2

Re: After 24 years... FINALLY

Sure makes a difference, MS.   I didn't go nearly as far as you but after 16K it sure was nice to go down the road with the new 8.8 and have a quiet, vibration free experience.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/28/2016 7:53 PM  #3

That's purdy !!!

4/28/2016 8:50 PM  #4

To those who have inquired about the old N case rear, it is sold, going in Ramses' 66 coupe.

4/28/2016 8:53 PM  #5

Very nice Hardware!

4/29/2016 9:56 AM  #6

Nice, please use a soft pad on the jack pad so it doesn't get all scratched up when you install it.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/30/2016 9:11 AM  #7

For what its worth, I too noticed the "N" case.  When I ran my 66 Merc Cyclone GT SS/JA in 1973, I had a very worked over 390 with a C-6 and all the goodies.  I was running at 11.19 in the quarter with 4.88 or 5.13 rear gears.  That "N" case NEVER gave me any problems, even using the stock axles.  I would take a wild guess at close to 500 bhp, finding a chassis dyno back then was next to impossible.  I had more wheels up launches than I can count.
Ramses should be grateful for the acquisition.

4/30/2016 2:15 PM  #8

I'm all for shotgunning problems.   I, too, reach a limit.

4/30/2016 10:13 PM  #9

Grats on the 'new and improved', Steve!  May you remain vibration-free. ;)

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

5/04/2016 11:26 AM  #10

That is a nice looking unit.  Hope this solves the issue.

5/04/2016 8:27 PM  #11

So far, no vibration...  But then, I don't have my new custom driveshaft yet!  Decided to go with 1350 ujoints at both ends and nobody had the correct front yoke to do it, so had to order one from way up north, around Arkansas.

I did get it all bolted back together except the shaft.  The wheels protrude about 1/4" farther out than before and both sides are within 1/32" of an inch of each other.  :Looks like a perfect fit!  Lots of clearance at the quarter panels and at the inner fenders and springs.  Wheels are perfectly centered in the available space.

Hope to have the driveshaft Thursday.  Can't wait for road test.  But I have two customer brake jobs to get done tomorrow first.

5/07/2016 5:57 PM  #12

Got the driveshaft Friday afternoon.  It was over an inch too long.  So, took it back and had them cut 1-1/4" out of it.  Now it fits very well and has about 1" of the yoke sticking out of the tranny for free travel.

Installed it but have not bled the rear brakes yet, so cannot drive it.  Also found out I no longer need the 3 degree angled shims so now I need to take them out and put some 1/2" flat spacers in their place (like lowering blocks).

Trying to get the angle of the dangle just perfect.

5/07/2016 8:50 PM  #13

Steve, I may have missed one of your posts- did you have a new housing made up? If so, what dimensions did you go with. housing end to housing end? 

5/09/2016 7:37 PM  #14

I used the same Versailles housing that was in the car, but I had them straighten it to perfection, then cut the ends off and welded new axle ends onto it.  The rear end is 58.25" wide from axle flange to axle flange, not counting the rotor thickness.  The 17x8, 5.72" backspacing wheels with 245x45/17 tires now fir perfect in the rear wheelwells.  They clear the springs by 1" and do not rub the quarter panels.

That said, anyone wanting to install those same size 1994-2004 Mustang wheels on a stock 65/66 rear end can simply use a 1/2" spacer on each side to get the same dimensions.

Since I was having the rear axle modified anyway, I just had them make it so it fit perfect to begin with.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.