FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2016 10:39 AM  #1

T-10 four speed

How good is the t10 four speed trans that came in the early Mustang? Will it hold up to 400 HP? Are there common problems with it? Thanks for input!

5/22/2016 11:13 AM  #2

Re: T-10 four speed

Bruce,
   At this point, the T-10 Borg Warner tranny, used extensively in early Shelbys, is nothing more than a door stop.  Parts availability is poor to non-existent.  The transmission is notorious for popping out of gear, and nobody seems to be able to cure that problem even though Shelby owners and others have spent serious bucks trying.  I have owned a daily driver T-10 Falcon and road raced a T-10 Mustang (briefly).  IMHO, you could not give me a T-10.  That being said, there will be more than one fellow who claims he can indeed repair the tranny. 
Best,
Al.

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

5/22/2016 1:09 PM  #3

The T10 will hold up to 400 HP...I had one behind a 500 Hp 409 that I power shifted in my early racing days with no problems other than it would pop out of 2nd gear occasionally...jj 

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

5/23/2016 4:39 AM  #4

From what I recall the T-10 was basically replaced by the Toploader in performance applications.  GM also had used the T-10 in various offerings, but replaced it with an in-house transmissions line when they started offering the M20 and M21 Muncie, and eventually the M22 for serious performance use.  I think nothing's changed.  The OEMs saw fit to replace the T-10 with their own transmissions.  Now one could argue that this was motivated more by cost than anything having been wrong with the T-10, but it also begs the question why didn't either Ford or GM just buy Borg/Warner or the license for the T-10?  From a strength standpoint the T-10 was a pretty decent trans, and eventually BW came out with the Super T-10 (an aluminum case 4-speed that bears a striking resemblance to a Muncie) that was GM's go to from '73 until the end of the 4-speed manual trans and the introduction of the first 5 speeds and other overdrive transmissions.

IMO if you're building the car to drive I'd get an overdrive trans in it and go with a T-5 or Tremec.  If its got to be stock, rebuild parts for the T-10 are available, but hard parts can be tough to find.  A Toploader would be a better choice if originality doesn't matter and you want a 4-speed. 

5/23/2016 6:55 AM  #5

I am currently using a tremec 600 in my 65 fastback daily driver type hot rod street car.  I am building another 65 car for street/drag-don't need od. Was wanting old school 4 speed. Sounds like toploader or Super t-10 . Of those two, which would be best?

5/23/2016 8:02 AM  #6

Toploader for sure.  No question it is the strongest standard tranny Ford has offered ever.  It is virtually indestructible and rebuild parts are available.
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

5/24/2016 9:04 AM  #7

Jerico 4-speed.  Indestructible, and can be setup for clutchless shifting.  Factory wise though, I'd go with the Toploader.  The super T-10 was being used mainly in cars that had lost their teeth already.  Its a decent trans, but strength wise its comparable to a Muncie, and I've fixed more of those than I care to count, because once you got traction or serious power they would flex and fail. 

5/25/2016 8:19 PM  #8

I have a Toploader taking up space in my garage and I would be more than willing to part with it. It came with a project car I purchased. It was rebuilt by a guy who specializes in Toploaders and was not installed since rebuild. It also has a new McLeod clutch, and pressure plate, plus scattershield. It was for an engine that was expected to make between 450-500HP. I wanted a daily driver with overdrive so it is collecting dust. FYI.
SteveinNC

5/26/2016 6:34 AM  #9

Steveinnc- Do you know if it is close ratio? Is it a short tailshaft? What is the overall length? Thanks

5/27/2016 7:15 AM  #10

It is a wide ratio tranny based on the numbers. The output shaft has 28 splines, the tailshaft is 14", length of the main case plus the tailshaft is 24". The tag on the case reads "HEH B1 015466" numbers on the main case "C5AR-7006-D" and tailshaft numbers are "C4ZR-7A040-A". I have not come across the paperwork yet, but I know I have it somewhere in a box with a bunch of other receipts. Probably hid that box from my wife and forgot where I put it. SteveinNC

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.