FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2013 10:28 PM  #26

Re: Have you bought a new 5 gallon gasoline container lately?

In California, if you get caught with a non compliant can in the bed of your truck, it's a ticket to $500 fine from the Highway Patrol.  For each can.  I know somebody who got nailed with four headed to the desert to ride motorcycles.

At least in California, the letter of the law requires a vapor recovery system on anything that holds and/or dispenses fuel (the level of emissions from a small amout of spilled gas that has evaporated is surprisingly high).  Sadly, the solution doesn't scale well from a gas pump to a gas can, and my choices are to either break the law, or spill a bunch of gas filling up small pump engines we use to transfer materials on the farm.

The small 1/2 gallon can isn't too bad, but the rest of them are awful.

6/19/2013 11:55 PM  #27

Well if you feel ok with unlce sugar not giving you a ticket I would just rip the guts out of the snout with a side cutter.

6/20/2013 5:23 PM  #28

6/20/2013 7:09 PM  #29

It's that hand cranking that poo-poos that idea, James...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/20/2013 8:28 PM  #30

think i'd rather crank than try to lift the 40lb gas can and pour it all over the mower....

6/20/2013 10:41 PM  #31

JamesW wrote:

think i'd rather crank than try to lift the 40lb gas can and pour it all over the mower....

hell, i still do that with the old style can....

6/21/2013 12:01 PM  #32

Race fuel jug. 5 gallons, hose for spout(flexible), vented.  Easy to use.

6/21/2013 12:25 PM  #33

DanB wrote:

Like this one from SUMMIT for $30?  Looks like what I want but it still is not vented.  Do you have a link to a better one?  Comes with a list of disclaimers and NOT TO BE USED TO TRANSPORT FUEL, ONLY USE AS TEMPORARY FUELING DEVICE????????

6/21/2013 1:42 PM  #34

MustangSteve wrote:

DanB wrote:

NOT TO BE USED TO TRANSPORT FUEL, ONLY USE AS TEMPORARY FUELING DEVICE????????

That's because it does not meet the current Federal standards for fuel tanks. Why don't we all complain to our Congressman about the nannification of our portable gas tanks?

6/21/2013 4:36 PM  #35

Why don't we complain to our congressman???  Because we know it won't do any good! 

The amazing this about this gas can subject...  It has received as many or more replies than any question posted on the forum, I think.

6/21/2013 6:00 PM  #36

MustangSteve wrote:

Why don't we complain to our congressman???  Because we know it won't do any good! 

The amazing this about this gas can subject...  It has received as many or more replies than any question posted on the forum, I think.

Don't tell BILLY!!!
He'll start a "WHERE Ya'LL FROM???" thread.

6/21/2013 7:47 PM  #37

I will submit a creative solution:   Make a hose that attaches to a schrader valve.   

Pull your lawn tractor up next to your car.  Open hood.  Attach schrader valve hose to schrader valve on your engine.   Put the other end in your favorite gas tank.

Have someone turn on ignition key to energize fuel pump.   Fill your tank.  

Remove hose.  Shut hood.   

Who needs a gas can at all?  

This is a solution you can have all kinds of fun with.   You can even get what you need from wally world.  LOIL   fill your tank with the bleed off.    

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14644670?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Man, you guys gotta learn how to be redneck!

Last edited by Greg B (6/21/2013 7:51 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/22/2013 10:32 AM  #38

Greg B wrote:

I will submit a creative solution:   Make a hose that attaches to a schrader valve.   

Pull your lawn tractor up next to your car.  Open hood.  Attach schrader valve hose to schrader valve on your engine.   Put the other end in your favorite gas tank.

Have someone turn on ignition key to energize fuel pump.   Fill your tank.  

Remove hose.  Shut hood.   

Who needs a gas can at all?  

This is a solution you can have all kinds of fun with.   You can even get what you need from wally world.  LOIL   fill your tank with the bleed off.    

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14644670?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Man, you guys gotta learn how to be redneck!

Is it April 1 already?????

6/22/2013 11:07 AM  #39

Thats me, creating Rube Goldberg solutions for simple problems, well, since near birth.

You could even add an inline 1/4" filter to further strain the gas.  LOL  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/22/2013 12:28 PM  #40

Problem is you have to have the engine running in the gas donor to do this trick.  Fuel pump shuts off after 5 seconds if the engine is not started.  So I have a gasoline fueled pump that will be used to refuel a gasoline engine designed to mow grass that just grows right back.  Boy is this an inefficient system!

Maybe a single 5 gallon can of ROUNDUP would eliminate this entire problem!  But wait !!!!  THEN I would have a perfectly good 5 gallon gas can that I would have no further need for !!! How ironic.

6/22/2013 4:48 PM  #41

MustangSteve wrote:

Problem is you have to have the engine running in the gas donor to do this trick.  Fuel pump shuts off after 5 seconds if the engine is not started.  So I have a gasoline fueled pump that will be used to refuel a gasoline engine designed to mow grass that just grows right back.  Boy is this an inefficient system!

Maybe a single 5 gallon can of ROUNDUP would eliminate this entire problem!  But wait !!!!  THEN I would have a perfectly good 5 gallon gas can that I would have no further need for !!! How ironic.

That's what I been using for years! Round UP jugs are the boomb!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/01/2013 7:23 PM  #42

Saw this from academy sports. $20

7/01/2013 10:48 PM  #43

DanB wrote:

four of those is what my buddy had...$2000 in fines later....

Last edited by CraigMBA (7/01/2013 10:51 PM)

7/02/2013 9:26 AM  #44

we bought three used cans from Craigslist.   two were five gallon size, one a two gallon.   Reason was what MS said in the original post (OP).

Price was $5 for all three.  They were moving so score one for us!

7/02/2013 6:51 PM  #45

O.K., it's time for some tech. Since some of you seem determined to us plastic containers not labeled for gasoline, I'm going to try to help you do it safely. Take your proposed gasoline carrier and turn it upside down. Read the recycle symbol. If it says LDPE, put it down and look for a better container. Gasoline will dissolve LDPE (low density polyethylene). Containers made of HDPE (high density polyethylene) or PP (polypropylene) are safe to use for gasoline. If you use something other than a red container labeled "gasoline", then make your own labels, perhaps even adding a skull and crossbones or a Mr. Yuck sticker. There is nothing amusing about poisoning your grandchildren. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.