FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2016 9:12 PM  #1

Measure for wheel spacers

I just got some new wheels for my 68 Mustang. They are 17x8 from a 2003ish Mustang. What are some ways I can measure the spacer width I will need before ordering? Thanks for any advice.

2/16/2016 9:58 PM  #2

Re: Measure for wheel spacers

94-04 17x8 wheels had 5.72" backspacing. 2005and newer had 5.92" backspacing. The maximum backspacing that will fit in front is about 4.7" due to upper control arm clearance. That means a 1" spacer will be required in front for it to be able to bolt on the car.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/16/2016 10:10 PM  #3

Thanks MS.

7/05/2016 9:35 PM  #4

MS, I think I remember an post of yours that talks about wheel spacers required for the front and rear on '68 Mustangs. Do you happen to have a link for it?

Also, where is the best place to buy wheel spacers for our Mustangs? Thank you for any advice.

Drew

7/13/2016 8:32 PM  #5

Bump...........

7/14/2016 10:10 AM  #6

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

7/14/2016 5:45 PM  #7

I recently bought used Enkei rims that required spacers too.  I used both thick and thin 1/2" stainless washers (Fastenal or any hardware store) on studs to determine spacer thickness.  I was able to place wheel on stud only up to one inch, just couldn't place lug nut on stud. I also placed axles at approximate ride height from wheel and tire diameter ( remember to divide by two to get radius). I also used 1/2"-20x4" long bolts and nuts to extend studs (temporarily without full vehicle weight...with floor jack and jack stands/blocks of wood for safety) for wheel spacer at approximately 1-1/4" and greater.  If you have long wheel studs as used in racing, you could just stack washers to get required measurement. Good luck!!! I did. Hope this helps out.

7/14/2016 5:47 PM  #8

Thanks. These posts help a lot.

7/14/2016 6:21 PM  #9

No problem. I went this route 'cause I have Granada front spindles and the wheels are 18x7.5 and didn't want to have clearance issues. I could not find any info that specified Granada spindles and wasn't sure if I could use same size spacer on stock dimension 8" rearend with drums...discs someday. Have fun!!!

7/14/2016 7:35 PM  #10

I have Granada front spindles. Also, I have an 8.8 rearend with disc brakes.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.